Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2001, 09:35 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

A huge thumbs-up to Daniel Noll and John DeFalco for this terrific, inspiring piece on how Americans can "fight back" against terrorism.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Fighting back: Ten things you can do right now

Show your confidence in the nation and our way of life

By Daniel Noll and John DeFalco

As we watch our leaders on television, vowing to hunt down and punish these terrorists, many average Americans wish we could join them. We’ve given blood and donated money, but it’s possible to do something that will have a greater impact. This is our opportunity to fight back.

THE TERRORISTS WANT us to be afraid; they want us to stay home, hoarding fuel and food. They want to crush our free and open society by paralyzing us with fear. We can stop them. Our collective actions have a tremendous effect and will repel this terrorist threat and send a clear message to the world.

1. Keep your money in the stock market; leave your investments where they are.
Show your faith in our economy by making a new investment when the market opens. Don’t think for a moment that the terrorists didn’t have a keen sense of the timing of their actions. As consumers and agents of our economy, we hold its future in our hands.

2. Fill your car’s gas tank as you normally would.
Don’t run to the gas station to fill up your car. Stay with your normal pattern of fueling. If you’re a gas station owner, don’t give in to price-gouging. If you find yourself and your community victims of price-gouging (at gas stations or grocery stores), bring it to the public’s attention. Report gas-gouging to the local chapter of the American Automobile Association (AAA). You can also contact your state’s Attorney General or the U.S. Energy Department Hotline at 1-800-244-3301. These organizations are aware of this kind of activity. Bring it to the attention of your local newspaper or broadcast outlet. Provide accurate information and shine a bright light on this lack of civic virtue.

3. Buy things — anything, no matter how small.
Consider buying a new car, something fuel-efficient to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. If you’ve had a project or purchase on your mind, now is the time to follow through. Don’t put off purchases that you have planned because of this incident and fear for the economy. These delayed purchases can be self-fulfilling prophecies of a failing economy. Our collective purchases will have a phenomenal impact and help us fight fear-induced volatility of the price of everyday goods and services.

4. Fly the American flag.
Fly it from your house. Fly it from your car. Fly it in a position of respect anywhere you can. Stand tall and be American. Our country has been politically divided, especially since the last election. But let us not forget that it is precisely the mechanism of democracy that allows us to be politically divided in a productive fashion. Terrorism attempts to take that productive division and turn it on itself.

5. Withdraw cash from the bank as you usually would.
Don’t help cause a run on the banks by withdrawing all your money. Our financial systems are strong and resilient. Withdraw cash as you normally do. Terrorists fully intend to scare us into thinking that our systems are vulnerable well beyond the point of impact.

6. Use transportation systems.
Make business and travel arrangements as you normally would. Book a flight as quickly as you are able in order to show your confidence in our airlines, the new airport security guidelines, and our public safety system.

7. Conserve energy.
This will help to stabilize prices and supplies. Take public transportation, walk, bike, carpool, do whatever you can to avoid driving. Taking public transportation to work once a week will be a tremendous help. Turn off unused lights and appliances at home.

8. Write your members of Congress to demand more funding for alternative fuel research.
Our dependence on foreign oil is a huge vulnerability. If the United States decides to take military action, our oil supplies may be affected. By reducing our dependence on foreign oil, we enable our government to do what is deemed necessary.

9. Help unify this country by engaging your neighbors and community.
We need to have one voice to fight terrorism. Everyone must come together in order for our collective actions to defeat this evil. Acts of violence against our own people, regardless of their faith or background, can only be destructive.

10. Get back into your normal pattern of work and living.
Do what you can to continue your normal routines. Embrace the new security guidelines in airports and other public places and don’t complain. Support the airport security personnel and let them know you’re proud of what they are doing.

There are many great lessons to be learned from these events: among them is the understanding that we each have the ability to defend our nation. We are each empowered to make decisions that will collectively allow us not only to survive this time of crisis, but to emerge ever-stronger in our response to this unspeakable act of evil.

Invoking Winston Churchill, this could, indeed, be our finest hour.

------------------

I know who you are...I saw what you did!
Old 09-26-2001, 09:40 AM   #2
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Amen to that brotha!!!

------------------

[b]Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...[b]
Old 09-26-2001, 09:40 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well done,Saz! Thanks for sharing this!
I think people in my area are just starting to fall back into a more normal work and living pattern. It's harder up this way as we're so close to it all, but we are talking about some things besides the terrorism now yet still quite firmly following events surrounding it.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-26-2001, 09:45 AM   #4
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

YEAH you said it!

I'll do #2, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 woo hoo!
Old 09-26-2001, 10:37 AM   #5
Rikard

And don't Cry for War
It'll hurt the innocent not the guilty

------------------

I'm Watching you...

Old 09-26-2001, 11:50 AM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Saz, great post mate.

Hey did you ever get my email BTW?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-26-2001, 02:21 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Saz, great post mate.

Hey did you ever get my email BTW?

Thanks, Yorick! And, yes, I did, did you never get my reply message? I sent it well over a week ago!

I'll see if I still have a copy of it in my Sent Mail folder and forward it on, since it seems you didn't get it. Sorry about that, mate!

------------------

I know who you are...I saw what you did!
Old 09-27-2001, 02:54 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Just read it. Thanks mate.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-27-2001, 03:09 AM   #9
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
And don't Cry for War
It'll hurt the innocent not the guilty

If I may? Not the right thread. The statements above are things that ALL Americans can get behind. "dont Cry for War" is a statement that is divisive. I mean...just look at the debate over that HERE(something as small and insignifigant in the scheme of things as an Internet forum)! There have been everything from quiet disagreements to flameouts over that subject. I appreciate the sentiment, but that is not a good topic to add to the list.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-27-2001, 03:49 AM   #10
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
If I may? Not the right thread. The statements above are things that ALL Americans can get behind. "dont Cry for War" is a statement that is divisive. I mean...just look at the debate over that HERE(something as small and insignifigant in the scheme of things as an Internet forum)! There have been everything from quiet disagreements to flameouts over that subject. I appreciate the sentiment, but that is not a good topic to add to the list.

Well it's a good way to keep this one on top
but ok.
I'll respect it

------------------

I'm Watching you...