Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
Roboghost
Manshoon

Smiley

Pelts:
Kuldahar's smithy is the ONLY person in IWD (not HoW), that will buy Yeti or Wolf pelts. You probably have some kind of bug going, so make sure you have the latest patches (preferably all the way through Trials.)

Gold:
The best thing to spend your gold on is ammo! Since missile weapons really put the hurting on the bad guys--it's expensive to purchase. There are a couple of RARE purchases that are unlimited:
+2 bullets in The Hand
and
Fire arrows outside castle Maluradek (Trials)...Hint...
Bag of Holding.

Still...even not counting these unlimited buys, you can practically run your gold down to zero if you were to buy up all the good ammo.

If you can hold out, the best prices to get for your stuff (including books/potions/gems) is the ghost shop keeper in The Hand. I save up all my gems and get a whopping amount of gold for them (for example.) That way, when I hit HoW, the enemies run like hell with all my cool ammo [Virgins!]

[ 10-12-2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Roboghost ]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #12
Calagari
Manshoon

Roboghost
I checked and I do have all the patches through to HOW. The smithy did buy pelts the first time. I sold 17 to him, The 2nd trip the button was depressed and I was unable to sell anymore to him.

I made a visit to the mage tower and bought what spells I thought I could use.
It has to be a glitch like not being able to remove the rangers bow from the assigned slot.
Maybe I should do a reinstall and save the savegames?
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #13
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Calagari,

I've noticed that you're having a lot of problems with different features of your game. Could it be that the disks you received are somehow defective? It happens sometimes.

*shrug*

Cary
Old 10-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #14
Calagari
Manshoon

I don't get any error messages. I was wondering if the ultimate collection needed any patches? Maybe I have messed up the files without knowing it? I am thinking seriously of copying my save game files to another folder and reinstalling the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Virginia:
Calagari,

I've noticed that you're having a lot of problems with different features of your game. Could it be that the disks you received are somehow defective? It happens sometimes.

*shrug*

Cary
Old 10-12-2004, 08:13 AM   #15
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

I have the Ultimate collection too. Wonder why yours has so many problems and not mine. It is a mystery...

Cary
Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 AM   #16
Calagari
Manshoon

I think it is something specific I did in patching. I just read the correct way to install the game. First you install IWD, then HOW, then ToTLM. If what I just read is correct ToTLM patches both games. I ran the patches over these and that may have messed up some of the files.
Today I am off to a new install and will see how my save games fair in this.

Quote:
I have the Ultimate collection too. Wonder why yours has so many problems and not mine. It is a mystery...

Cary
Old 10-12-2004, 06:07 PM   #17
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Calagari:
I think it is something specific I did in patching. I just read the correct way to install the game. First you install IWD, then HOW, then ToTLM. If what I just read is correct ToTLM patches both games. I ran the patches over these and that may have messed up some of the files.

quote:

Cary
[/QUOTE]Calagari,

No longer a mystery it is: You have solved it!

Yes, you have the right answer --> The correct install is IWD, then HoW, then TotLM, then STOP!! TotLM is the COMPLETE and FINAL patch for HoW/IWD. Running any patch after TotLM is installed is virtually guaranteed to bring heartache.

Sorry, I didn't see where you had said you had done this, or I would have piped up before. I should have asked anyway.

After you reinstall, Dale Keeper should take care of any initial surviving irregularities from your saved game. You are set. Congrats.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:05 PM   #18
Calagari
Manshoon

"After you reinstall, Dale Keeper should take care of any initial surviving irregularities from your saved game. You are set. Congrats."

NobleNick I don't quite understand how Dalekeeper will do this could you go in a bit more detail?

I ask because I have one remaining problem or maybe it is normal. When I go through doors or levels bows and slings seem to change to meless weapons on my party. I have to pause, go into inventory and reset the weapons almost all the time. Once in a while one or two party members will retain what they were holding.

BTW During all this I created a new 4 person party. The lead man is a BARD of all things. I have them armed with range weapons and they are doing very well much better so far than my 6 person party. I have only let them go to Kuldahar so far but it was an easy sail. Bards do Rock!

I sure appreciate all the help I am getting here. I just wanted to let everyone know this.

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
quote:
Originally posted by Calagari:

quote:

Cary
[/QUOTE]Calagari,

No longer a mystery it is: You have solved it!

Yes, you have the right answer --> The correct install is IWD, then HoW, then TotLM, then STOP!! TotLM is the COMPLETE and FINAL patch for HoW/IWD. Running any patch after TotLM is installed is virtually guaranteed to bring heartache.

Sorry, I didn't see where you had said you had done this, or I would have piped up before. I should have asked anyway.

After you reinstall, Dale Keeper should take care of any initial surviving irregularities from your saved game. You are set. Congrats.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
[/QUOTE]

[ 10-13-2004, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Calagari ]
Old 10-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #19
NobleNick
Quintesson

Calagari,

Congrats on your makeover. I know that many people (myself included) decide to revamp their party somewhere around Dragon's Eye, the first time they play the game. Seems that this is where less-than-optimal builds start showing. Aerich is right: virtually any party is workable. However, some builds are a lot more fun; and that is why we play the game, isn't it: to have fun?

...I have one remaining problem or maybe it is normal. When I go through doors or levels bows and slings seem to change to melee weapons on my party. I have to pause, go into inventory and reset the weapons almost all the time. Once in a while one or two party members will retain what they were holding.

I suspect that your problem now is that you have party AI turned ON. You go through a door and your AI arms your party with whatever it thinks is best for the situation. It is REALLY annoying when your Fighters drop bows and run screaming with their swords held high... to the EXACT spot where your Mage has just started summoning a Fireball!! IWD AI liked to have been the death of my party. Turn AI OFF, on the bottom right corner of your main screen, and you should be O.K. IWD, great game that it is, is not known for its astute A.I. nor its excellent pathfinding. Quite the opposite, I'm afraid.

I prefer manual control; but if you would like A.I. the way it is supposed to be, cruise the swamp for some of Dundee Slaytern's posts. He is always looking for lab rats to try out his sophisticated scripts; and I have heard more than one raving review over the years about how good his scripts are.

BTW During all this I created a new 4 person party. The lead man is a BARD of all things. I have them armed with range weapons and they are doing very well much better so far than my 6 person party. I have only let them go to Kuldahar so far but it was an easy sail. Bards do Rock!

Yes they do, if you have HoW installed. And you ain't seen nothing yet. After the Bard hits level 11 and gets the "War Chant of the Sith," things go into overdrive in a warrior-heavy party. The War Chant betters all friendly ACs by 2 and provides 10% resistance to most physical forms of attack, for everyone within range of the song. Woot!! Now, as if wasn't Wa-A-AY too much already, the Chant also heals all friendlies within range at the rate of 2 HP per round; and let's go overboard and heal at the same rate EVEN when your party is not fighting! Yes, that means your Cleric's slots can be used for something other than Heal spells. And your party only sleeps when fatigued or out of spells, not to regain HP. Oh, and your party can always enter every battle with every member at 100% HP.

Hint 1: The Bard rocks BETTER in direct proportion to the number of warriors she has to sing to.

Hint 2: The Bardic Horn of Valhalla is the most powerful piece of equipment in the game, and is the best purhase you will ever make if you have a Bard in your party. The earlier you get it, the better.

Have fun.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
[/qb][/QUOTE] [/QB][/QUOTE]

[ 10-13-2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #20
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

I second the motion on the Bardic Horn of Valhalla. It is super cool.