Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
gaunty
The Magister

1: is there any nutritionanal value in the plastic in those
plastic water bottles that everyone is so crazzy over.

2: has any company came out with a bottle that dose not erode
wile the water is in it. I would buy in to the bottled water
craze if it was not liquid plastic......

3: is there a real absolut way to tell if the bottled water is
not your average tap water?
Old 04-16-2002, 10:08 PM   #2
NihilisticCrusader
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1: Nutrition? The idea of bottled water is that it's purified by putting in lots of chemicals so that all the harmful stuff is removed. Water isn't supposed to be nutritional. All the filtering just takes away the bad stuff.

2: I've never had a bottle that eroded before I drank the contents.

3: No. But you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Bottled water is good when you go to a country that doesn't filter the water the same as in the US, like Mexico and most of the rest of Latin America. It's not that their water is bad, its just that our systems are used to lots of chemicals and stuff. I wouldn't be suprised if someone from another country got sick from all the chemicals in our water.

So why bother in the US? I don't know. Maybe it's because people just like the bottles. I do.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I seem to remember from my chemistry classes that water dissolves practically anything it comes into contact with, even if it's only by an infinitestimal amount.

Plastic, glass, various metals, you name it, we've probably got it.

Then again my memory could be wrong. I never really paid much attention during chemistry
Old 04-17-2002, 02:12 AM   #4
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Remember, non-bottled water isn't always bad. It's got flouride.

Well, that's bad if you're one of those McCarthy-loving wackos from the 50s who thought that flouridation was a Communist conspiracy (Dr. Strangelove anyone ?).
Old 04-17-2002, 05:40 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by NihilisticCrusader:
1: Nutrition? The idea of bottled water is that it's purified by putting in lots of chemicals so that all the harmful stuff is removed.
It is? In the UK, bottled water is usually pure spring water - completely untampered with, bottled straight from the spring. It is rich in minerals such as calcium (because it is filtered naturally through limestone), and so *is* of nutritional value.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:27 AM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by NihilisticCrusader:
I wouldn't be suprised if someone from another country got sick from all the chemicals in our water.
I CAN VOUCH FOR THAT! I lived in Europe for 10 and a half freakin' years, O_o Every time I visited the states, just putting ICE in my drink would freakin' kill me. In Germany, for example, water was filtered via a nice underground watertable which contained no bacteria and came up pure, water was filtered out to sea. In the US water seems to come from anywhere and its all Chemicalized and stuff... In Cuba our water comes from the sea itself and I dont think we do anything much more than that. Maybe some rain water syphons here and there, an occasional ammount of filtering is added, but the evaporated sea water, itself, is mostly Distilled.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:55 PM   #7
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

The reason you get mildly sick when first drinking water from another geographic area is because the natural micro-organism flora is different. Until your immune system compensates for this, your digestive tract is going to go haywire. It's also why you tend to get sick with colds easier after you first move to the new geographic area.