Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2003, 12:31 PM   #11
Radek
Red Dragon

I think it's the combo Create Portal - Teleport which is buggy somehow. Let us note that the Teleport spell is the one that raises most of complaints. And the complaints are always the same: "I have set the portal but my teleport fizzles! Why?". This happens also in the wilderness (often behind the shrine) where some "good portal so far" should be supposed. The teleport does not teleport to the old portal - it fizzles instead.
Therefore, the Create Portal seems to be buggy. Not only you are mislead by the "portal created" message, the spell also deletes your current portal without replacing it by a new one. This must be a bug: if the Create Portal spell fizzled simply and lied that a portal was created for some reason, then the Teleport spell would have to teleport to the old portal. This is not the case. The complaints from dungeons can fall into the same category but we don't know whether a "good portal" has been created so far.
The only defense against the bug is keeping the bug in your mind. If you are far from the town or if it is essential that you have a portal at a certain location then always check the portal by a subsequent Teleport spell. Create the portal, save the game, make a few steps away, and teleport. If you get teleported to your new portal then the portal is safe. It will not vanish (until you create another portal) and all Teleport spells will teleport you to your new portal.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:56 PM   #12
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I believe the failure of Portals and Teleport in some of the dungeons (or specific places within a dungeon) is not the result of a bug but a deliberate choice by the game designers. The failures in other locations may indeed be a bug but knowing that failure is a possibility it isn't too difficult to work around it.

Radek's check to see if it is working plan is excellent and should prevent some disappointments.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 03:45 AM   #13
Radek
Red Dragon

In my experience, you can create portal anywhere in the game except the Pyramid. The portal will work and the Teleport spell will take you to your portal from anywhere on the current map. The Pyramid is the only place in the game where you cannot create a portal and, of course, where any Teleport spell will fail.
On the other hand, there are places in the game where you have to expect the "teleport bug". One such place is the south shore of the sea behind the Anephas Shrine. But you can create a working portal even there.
Perhaps, there were planned places in the game, where you weren't allowed to create a portal. Perhaps, these places were removed from the game later. Perhaps, the "teleport bug" is a result of incomplete removing these places from the game. I don't know.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:53 AM   #14
Dandad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was a vampire. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/stunned.gif[/img]
I only confirmed this by downloading a trainer and checking my traits. Changed 'em. Thanks everyone for your help in this.

But still having the same problem with teleport spell. The most recent was by the two chests near the Hydra. Could it be that this problem is related to parts of the game involving a "commentary" i.e. where the program "speaks" e.g. "....Bloodbeard....", "....Hydra....", "....Altar...." ???

Anyway I now have a system for any time I am thinking of creating a portal.
1. Save 2. Create Portal. 3. Immediately use "Call of Home" 4. Immediately get out of Town and try to Teleport back. 5. If it works, then proceed as previously planned. If it does not work then go back to Save, change location then kneel and thank the Gods that you have not just wasted a long session of selling, promoting and worst of all ...................................listening to Sebastio. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 10:50 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'd use Radek's suggestion. Create a portal, move a few paces away, and then cast teleport. You either end up at the original spot or the spell fails.

Saves the trouble of loading the city, then reloading the wilderness, and then casting the spell, only to potentially spend the time reloading the saved game.

But your approach will work, so if you want to use it, go right ahead. I won't stop you
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote