Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2001, 10:11 PM   #1
chimera_7
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nalia's keep is impossible! Im in the room with the umber hulks in the basement and i can't win. what are some good tactics against them and the boss? im stuck!
Old 03-13-2001, 10:21 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

SPOILER:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Remember the grill in the kitchen on the first floor, as well as the 4 cute puppies outside in the courtyard? Well, if you kill the four puppies and put them all on the grill (by having the character with the dog meat and click on the grill 5 times), you will get........A BOWL OF DOG STEW. Hopefully you have a cleric in your party that can cast santurary, once you are ready to enter the Umber Hulk room, ONLY the cleric with santurary casted enter and make sure he/she has the DOG STEW in the inventory, there should be a "U" shaped passageway to the left of the screen leading to the prison section of the keep, walk in to the end cell. When you open the last cell's door you will notice someone has dig their way through the ground to enter the keep and their should be a spot where (that marks blue when your cursor is on it) that has some dog bones, put the dog stew there and you will not only get EXP, but those Umber Hulks will be rushing in for the dog stew. Have the cleric close the door behind them (or kill them if you feel lucky). Then proceed onto the quest.

Another way to clear the Umber Hulk room is cast chaotic command on your toughest fighter in the party, and let him enter and stay in the door way, that way the most Umber Hulk you will face each time is max at 3. If you have a low enough armor class, you will take little damage and the Umber Hulk will go down quick. Chaotic command is a cleric spell that makes your character immune to mind-effecting spells.

Personally, I like to get the exp from dog stew and then kill the Umber Hulks. It's always fun to squash bugs......

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-13-2001, 10:29 PM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

As for the boss: Summon fire elementals and skeleton warriors and let them go in first into the middle of the statue room, they will immediately attack the boss and the two giant trolls. Keep your party in the Umber Hulk room (hiding if you want), although I always like to send my fighters in to make the kill. If you are not comfortable, keep sending summon critters into that room, just remember trolls regenerates. As a support you can also cast the cleric spell holy smite, that will damage the trolls. Any characters with range attack should be firing bullets and arrows while your fighter hack away.

You can also lure each troll individually if you are not comfortable tackling all 3 trolls at once. Walk step by step into the room, the boss usually is the first one that gets lure first. Lure him back into the Umber Hulk room and finish him off with the whole party.

Other tactics such as area holding spells like web, stinking cloud, entangle might be able to hold the trolls, then send fireball into the room. Hope you have a healthy supply of fire and acid arrows.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-13-2001, 11:00 PM   #4
Sentinel04
The Magister

I'm sorry if this seems TOO obivious, but you can always turn the diffculty down .

------------------

Baldur's Gate and DBZ should combine!
Old 03-14-2001, 12:07 AM   #5
deverece
Dungeon Master

They are weak against cloudkill spell.
Old 03-14-2001, 01:41 AM   #6
Valhakar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Gee! Am I the only one that simply sticks my character (levle 8 warrior) up front and lets him tank. :>)

He uses that +3 talking sword, has 5 Crosses in 2 Hand sword and 2 crosses in 2 hand weapons. Hit him with haste, bless, and a few more buffs and he is pretty much unstoppable. Only spells that can slow him down are web and HOLD. he cant be charmed of confused while wielding the sword.

Stick everyone else behind him healing and using bows/slings and its a death fest. :>)

Old 03-14-2001, 01:49 AM   #7
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Ah.....the beauty of Lilarcor.....I don't think bugs tastes like chicken though.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-14-2001, 10:38 AM   #8
white heron
Manshoon

Use Cloudkill on the Umber Hulks(instant death ,and you can still get the XP for the dog stew afterwards),,i lured the 3 boss trolls out into the other room one by one and it worked a treat.
Sometimes having an invisible character block a doorway whilst bullets and arrows rain from your other characters is a good strategy(turn the AI off).Or when luring creatures through doors into an ambush having someone ready to shut the door helps just a little too.Or have an ivisible scout(AI off or use thief with scout script))reveal areas for you whilst Minsc with longbow picks off the baddies.
.....just some of my fave strategys.

[This message has been edited by white heron (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 11:49 AM   #9
Lord Shield

Tanking is especially good if you cast Chaotic Commands on your lead fighter (or have an item protecting you from Confusion. Block them in the doorway so they only fight you one or two at a time.