Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

There has been some talk this week of the US setting up a proper and permanent military base in Australia. Both sides of politics have taken their usual stance, but overall the outcry has been very muted to say the least. Now this story rears its head from time to time and gets shouted down. But judging from the lack of *rage* it seems that it may get some more momentum this time.

With the US withdrawing from Saudi Arabia and under constant pressure in Japan and the Philippines, would a base inside a more intune country be good? Or a risk to our friendship?

and also think, would you like a foriegn base in your country?

[ 06-02-2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 06-02-2003, 10:38 PM   #2
GForce

I certainly wouldn't want it. I was once in the military stationed overseas. There were a mix of people wanting us and not wanting us. I didn't want to be there myself but while there, I paid close attention to give respect and consideration. Whatever I do there effects them. I personally don't like the US policy to have bases on foreign land. To me its too intrusive. Silly governments.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:55 PM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Why would we need bases in Oz when we have them in Japan? And the Emirates and Brunei? I think we should build those movable bases, and continue to use aircraft carriers. (Anybody remember back in the 80's when they were being derided as "undefendable dinosaurs?")
Old 06-03-2003, 02:04 AM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I do not think we should have to put out any more troops I do not know if it would harm our allince with you guys or not, but the more troops we send away from America, the less we have to protect the home land
Old 06-03-2003, 02:08 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Simply a case of Roman troops being stationed in a "protectorate" of the empire, that's all.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-03-2003, 02:12 AM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Actually in all seriousness it's probably not a bad thing, given the current climate, and that the worlds largest muslim nation (216 million) is directly north of Australia's huge population of 20 million.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-03-2003, 02:13 AM   #7
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

No! Keep out! We have a perfectly good military (I think), why not send the soldiers to Canada, I have heard *their* military is almost non-existent. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2003, 02:23 AM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
No! Keep out! We have a perfectly good military (I think), why not send the soldiers to Canada, I have heard *their* military is almost non-existent. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
just for that...I will send our troops to you ..actualy, I am supposed to be planning a visit to a frind there...lol but cant remember the name of the town she lives in [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2003, 02:24 AM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
We don't need a military, we've got Celine Dion.

Wanna trade?
Old 06-03-2003, 02:39 AM   #10
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
We don't need a military, we've got Celine Dion.

Wanna trade?
[/QUOTE]Arg! We'll give you Kylie Minogue, just PLEASE don't let Celine Dion into Australia. We'll throw in our Navy AND a free set of steak knives just to sweeten the deal