Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2003, 12:15 PM   #51
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Hiya MagiK. [img]graemlins/fight.gif[/img] There's lots of info online discussing how medical research has its limits. I'm not a hard-liner all-or-nothing guy on the issue, as I realize you must test new drugs on something prior to humans.

As for the cosmetics/medicine distinction, allow me to edit and insert Pfizer instead of Schick.

There is a predelection in the medical industry for loving to come up with a lot of useless tests to subject animals to. I think its a clutural indoctrination that begins in education. My wife had to drop her psych major early on because a professor refused to allow her to come up with an alternative project rather than the assigned one which, when it came down to it, was (a) discretionary so long as it (b) killed mice.

But, since we're starting a debate on GD, I must make my one-a-day obligatory use of my favorite smiley. [img]graemlins/whackya.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 12:26 PM   #52
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

TL, I know that a lot of medical research is bogus and useless. However, I was there in the '70s at Parkland when Dr. Charles Baxter did a lot of his pioneering work on burn, and we had to use animals. Dogs, in this case. And, this smiley is better: [img]graemlins/fight.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 12:47 PM   #53
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, nice to hear someone in the profession confirm what my wife brings home in PETA literature. Sure, Attalus, as I said, some medical research is necessary. It's not a hard line thing. I bet it must suck to be on that research team, though. IIRC, there is little doubt that burn treatment procedures increased amazingly in the 80s, though.

As for favorite smileys, here's one I LOVE but have few excuses to use: [img]graemlins/microwave.gif[/img]

[ 02-25-2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 02-25-2003, 12:52 PM   #54
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yep, TL, it indeed did suck, but we gritted our teeth and did it, and, as you say, Dr. Baxter and his team were able to develop techniques in fluid resuscitation and homograft use that save many lives that otherwise might have been lost.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:12 PM   #55
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
Normally I'd agree about the $600, but in this case I felt that the cat shouldn't die just because her last owner didn't take care of her (ie, after getting hit by the car the cat never should have been allowed to get pregnant because her hips were misaligned, which is why she needed the c-section).
Arion, sorry to hear you have a cold. Here, have some chicken soup (we jews call it Jewish penicillian). Feel better soon. Hey, if you do decide to change jobs you could always be a zoo keeper, lol
Well, I'll make ol' MagiK cringe here, but I had a kitty, my first ever once I moved out on my own, who must have cost me a few thousand+ in vet bills over his 12 yrs, in addition to much time and patience, mainly as he had a tumor that caused diabetes and other complications in his last year or so. It was my money and I chose to keep my companion animal with me as long as he had some enjoyment and dignity in life. I find nothing wrong with what you did, Harley! Not a bit. Like I said before, your kitty is a lucky critter to have found you!
Old 02-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #56
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Anyone got some warm weather to trade me for some snow?! Damn, it's been freezing and below freezing here for ages! We expect below zero temps tomorrow morning.. and a HIGH of 20! UGH!

And speaking of bunnies.... the darned cottontails in my yard girdled the crab apple... it's my own fault, I didn't wrap it high enough and with all that snow they got high enough up the trunk to eat all the bark off in a ring...the poor tree is a goner... A moment of silence for "guinevere", please!
Old 02-25-2003, 01:18 PM   #57
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Would you remind her of that next time she's upset with me because I won't let her beg at the table? [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 01:22 PM   #58
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Cloudy, I can send you sunny skies but absolutely NO warmth. [img]graemlins/imcold.gif[/img]

Sorry, I'll try better next winter. Actually, I ought not joke, next winter Chicago may get the pounding you took this year.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #59
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Gonna pop in my two bit's of uneducated banter and say Hello.
Hope y'all are having a pleasent day. I'm just getting over a nasty bout of stomach flu that has been passed from youngest to oldest to second oldest to second youngest, i.e. baby, dad, mommy, 8 year old, weeeeeeeeeeee nothin better then family love
Old 02-25-2003, 01:34 PM   #60
MagiK

Lol hiho all, just back froma lunch at Wendys with my sweetie [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy, you did what you did because you could and had no reason not to...So Im not cringing, however if your money was tight and you had kids to worry about and were financially strapped and still did all that for the kitty, I would cringe

TL my point is, that there is very legitimate medical research done, I don't give a hoot wether it is pfizer or budweiser, if it saves lives that is all I care about.