Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2001, 02:40 AM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

[quote]Originally posted by RudeDawg:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
[BHerb garden! Wow, that's great RD! I plan to have one someday. Still working the landscape. Went from bare clay to not bad in 4yrs but needs much more work!
What are you growing? Fresh thyme, oregano and chives are divine!

CloudFlorist

Quote:
OK, remember that I live in an apartment, and only have a small balcony patio..

For salads and cooking, I've got sage, thyme, oregano, chives, cilantro, and dill.
For teas, I've got mint, chamomile, lemon grass, and something else... LOL I forgot what the fourth tea is ?!?!
oh well...
It's just a small container garden...

[/B]
I figured it was a container garden, Dawggie! Some say that's the best way to grow herbs! Let me know how it works, I'm really intersted in doing something with herbs next year, depending on my other efforts. Spent first few yrs working on lawn/trees/shrubs and my rugosa roses! Now I'm starting perennials. Had daffs and tulips already and some oriental lillies...I wish I could do this all the time..

Davros? What's the pay like? LOL Er, weeds...uh, I only pull em when I think of it! Which is usually when the weeds are bigger than the plants I want there! LOL I'm sort of into laid back gardening...maybe one day I'll write a book, make a million and HIRE a weeder... teehee

Cloudy
(hi Ryan! )

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-03-2001).]
Old 06-03-2001, 03:06 AM   #12
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

What you mean you will PAY me for being a weedhea........oh weeder um nevermind
Old 06-03-2001, 03:36 AM   #13
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
What you mean you will PAY me for being a weedhea........oh weeder um nevermind
Ohh theres a flower....lets pull it out and make more room for the weeds

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go. For all this theres only one thing you should know....."
Old 06-03-2001, 09:31 AM   #14
Moni

Sunny, er, I mean Cloudy,
Congrats on all the new additions to your garden! Glad to hear I am not the only one planting and potting with reckless abandon!

I am currently working on repairing and rejuvenating one of the windows in Grandpa's bedroom (on the outside of the house). I have a Star Jasmine blooming in a pot and waiting to be planted and trellised up underneath it when I finally finish and add a new screen so that he can open his window and enjoy the scent.

Rex's Grandma on his dad's side gave me and asparagus fern in a pot which I hung on the porch, next to the asparagus lace that grows under Grandpa's TV room window. I put that stuff on a couple of trellises after re-doing that window already.

She also gave me some potted reddish purple petunias which I hung on the opposite side of the porch and a potted red bougainvillea that I hung outside my own bedroom window until I get the time to plant it out there.

She gave me a variety of polka dotted plant cuttings that I have potted and growing in windows and on a new set of wire shelves that I recently added to the porch and strung wayward queen's crown vines through. Between her and Rex's mom, I have every color of calancho growing out there too.

Rex's mom bought me the Time/Life Big Book of Flower Gardening. I am using it as a guide to keep from killing things that don't like a lot of sun and saving those that do lol! I also bought myself a book on pruning in order to learn how to maintain things since in AZ all I ever had to do was prune my roses, tend my houseplants and ocassionally weed my gravel yard. It will come in really handy when ever I start shaping up the backyard!

My annual bed got shaded by queen's crown vines and hasn't produced more than some tall sprouts. And I was so worried that the cats would squash them all LOL! I am thinking of trying to move the plants into pots that I can place in sunny areas, but until we actually get some major renovations done in the back yard, those places are few and far between...at least where we would be able to enjoy them.

When we took the bat up north, I snagged a baby evergreen off of the edge of their parking area where it had been getting trampled. It is doing well in a pot in my yard and as it turns out is a cedar tree.

Congrats again and happy gardening!

Moni

Hey Rudy!
I'm impressed!!! Way to go HerbDawg!

------------------

Old 06-03-2001, 10:32 AM   #15
Gaelic
Elminster

Ok Cloudy, your secret is out. You must be related to my wife. I get glassy eyed daily as my wife recites the lates .3 inches every plant has grown, along with what has and has not bloomed, and what plant gets the Holly Tone next.

AAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-03-2001, 11:20 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Caleb, Azurewolf...sigh ..NO NO NO!

Moni: well you are a busy bee in that yard! I love the look of asparagus fern but they can be messy when they dry out and drop all their leaves...er, I think they need water...yes, I'm quite sure that's what mine was missing...er before it turned all brown...LOL! I had one in college. Needless to say, it didn't survive.

I got pruning guides last year. Do I look at them before pruning my roses, winterberries, barberries or mugo pines? Nah! So far everything is thriving. The rabbits did a whole lot of free 'pruning' for me on several of my rosesbushes (all mine are low maintenance rugosas)and all but ate two of the little winterberries to the ground!(deciduous holly for anyone who isn't familiar with it!) I started the winterberry as little seedlings from our Conservation and Wildlife group 4 yrs ago. Looked so silly, planting twigs in my clay mud...sigh..but now 7 of the 10 are at least 2ft high and almost as wide and 4 have berried!!!! Nothing so pretty as those bright red berries on bare branches in the winter snow!

Gaelic, teehee! My yew shrubs get the Holly Tone next! LOL!! *far off look in the eyes, muttering about slow drip watering, CB walks off to the garden shed*

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-03-2001, 11:37 AM   #17
Gaelic
Elminster

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You sound just like her!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! Is there no escape? Can there be no respite?

(Sounds of Gaelic writhing and twitching on the floor.)

Although, I did get grass growing on two major bare spots on my lawn this week.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-03-2001, 11:46 AM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You sound just like her!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! Is there no escape? Can there be no respite?

(Sounds of Gaelic writhing and twitching on the floor.)

Although, I did get grass growing on two major bare spots on my lawn this week.

Teehee! Did you use regular grass seed and fight off the hungry birds or that fancy hydroseed style patch system they have out now? My whole lawn was originally hydroseeded. Amazing process, spraying seed/paper all over my nice bare clay lot and a month later, I had WEEDS and some nice little sparse grass. Four yrs later I am ripping out lawn in big patches and replacing frantically with shrubs, trees and planting areas for annuals/perennials! Grass grew really well, incredibly well and I hate mowing the lawn!

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-03-2001, 11:50 AM   #19
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hey Cloudysniffler,

I hope you keep those plants alive for longer than you managed with your Wizards and Warriors party. Hmm, wonder what the average life expectancy on those annuals are (should I go for the obvious year, or will I get better odds if I bet on 3 to 6 months - what's the spread ).

Sigh, can't afford a weeder anymore - may have to do some myself if the rain clears tomorrow (Davros does quick rain dance and asks Cloudy for a few more showers).

------------------
Old 06-03-2001, 12:00 PM   #20
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

i have succulents.. theyrecute.. you know them cb?

anyways, i have a green thumb. i just dont use it.. so i dont have to use any pruning guides and such... but i dont have any interest in that kinda stuff

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM ...wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...