Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2002, 09:57 PM   #1
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

I have been trying to play this anticipated game, and I am unable to get out the stupid door of after creating my character. Everytime I exit the door, the game freezes up.

I am able to hear the music and background noises, but no movement, no actions, no keystroke or mouse clicks work. The game just stops moving.

I am using the no cd patch, cause before I was unable to even talk to the first character I met on the ship. I have tweaked the Direct X program and have set the audio on low.

I have a P III with 966, 128 ram, and a ATI Radeon 32 card. I am well within system specs to run the game, and am wondering if anyone else has any advice.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:38 PM   #2
Crazy Horse
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Make sure you have the latest video drivers for you card. This has been a problem with many people and 9/10 that solves the problem. Good luck
----Crazy Horse
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 11:35 PM   #3
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

After pulling alot of hair out, I again downloaded new drivers. Crap, ATI updates their drivers almost weekly now.

Lo and behold, it worked. Now I can enjoy more of the game world than just the first room...

(as I am kicking myself in the butt, I leave with embarassment)
Old 05-08-2002, 06:56 AM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

~~saltheart~~

which version did you install? i had the 9013s in the machine that has the ATI and wasn't THAT happy with it. tho't i had checked recently too, but based on your post, i went back and took another look.
sure enough! a newer version, 9021, was out. i just installed it and am getting better performance than with the 9013 set.

LOL! and here i am telling everyone to double check their drivers. ::hangs her head in shame:: LOL. apparently this set is fully optimized for DX 8.1.

i even turned some of the settings up higher. thanks for the heads up, saltheart!

V***V

Old 05-08-2002, 07:54 AM   #5
GodSlayer
Dungeon Master

Hello

Now I'm starting to become worried - I haven't recieved the game as of yet, but the problems with the vid. cards is a bit scary. Right now I'm playing two games Wiz 8 and Dungeon Siege, and both games are running BETTER by DOWNgrading my nvidia drivers from v28.32 to v12.41.
Indeed DS crashed every 10 min. when running with v28.32.

So my question is - does v12.41 run ok with Morrowind ?
or do I have to up/down grade each time I play another game

GodSlayer
GodSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:18 AM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

well, you don't say which card you have. but the 28.32's are the reference drivers. and the latest ones, so purportedly they are DX 8.1 compliant.

i don't know about the 12.41's.

the MAIN thing with MW is that ANYTHING with a driver HAS to be DX 8.1 compliant or it may not work. [img]smile.gif[/img] or it might work, but be funky.

sooo, that prolly didn't help you one bit, huh?

V***V

Old 05-08-2002, 09:49 AM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I'd wish they'd invent a vid cart that updates itself every time new drivers are out. That way, I don't have to go looking every time I buy a new game
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:17 AM   #8
vesselle
Hathor

ask and it shall be given.

i was just reading about Valve (the maker's of Half-Life) and their new company called Steam.

they plan on doing away with hardcopy (read cd, manual & box) games. instead, you download the core game over thier servers, and then the system feeds you the game as you go. included in this will be arrangements with driver manufacturers to keep everything current.

they plan on releasing their first game sometime this year. so expect to see more models like this pop up all over.

dunno how the publisher's role will fall into this, but if we can get away from publisher's controlling developer output, i'm ALL for it!

V***V

interested in beta-testing the steam model?

[ 05-08-2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: vesselle ]
Old 05-09-2002, 10:22 PM   #9
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

Vesselle

Yep I had problems with the driver from last month, and grabbed the 9021 driver. Worked like a charm on this game and lo and behold DS...

I so love to jump thru driver hoops to get a game to run. The only difficulty I have installing the drivers is the onboard vid chip. It only took me 20 minutes to get to safe mode and get a screen to come up to finish setting up the install.

But what is life without challenges...
Old 05-10-2002, 12:59 AM   #10
vesselle
Hathor

::commiserates with Saltheart::

ya wanna hear something to make your head spin? UK Radeon just released 9031's dated less than an hour ago!

of course, i installed and i like them better than the 9021's. i even wonder if they had MW in mind when they designed this tweak. maybe i'm just game-centric. LOL!

what mobo do you have? i used to have one where i had onboard sound and ended up bypassing it, but that was a LOT easier it sounds than onboard vid. LOL! guess i'm glad i didn't hop on the nVidia band wagon and get one of their new mobos.

call me simple ::ducks as the everyone yells "SIMPLE":: but i like uninstalling, wiping reg keys, rebooting, new installation, then playing the game.

::sigh::

on that note, i need to see if i can get into Lord Brinne's tomb. [img]smile.gif[/img]

V***V