Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2002, 10:32 PM   #1
lroyo

Has anyone else seen this movie? I saw it yesterday, and I was a little bit disappointed. It got such good reviews, and I thought it was, well....nothing much. It creates quite a good atmosphere, but becomes a bit repetitive, and doesn't really answer any of it's own questions. I also am finding this new style of camerawork (throwing the camera around at high speed during action scenes so that the viewer is disorientated) rather disturbing, as you can't actually see whats happening half the time. Maybe that's the idea, so you don't actually get a good view of their bad effects work.

Anyway, I give it about 6.5 out of 10, as it was still entertaining, but fell flat in my opinion. How they can compare it to The Sixth Sense is beyond me!

Aviendha.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:29 AM   #2
lroyo

I guess I'm the only one that's seen it!
Old 05-28-2002, 02:15 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

<font color = lightgreen>Au contraire, Aviendha--<font color = red>belle</font> and I saw Mothman Prophecies.
I think they did a good job of creating a tense/uncertain atmosphere, but I wasn't sitting on the edge of my seat. Not all the questions were supposed to be answered. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img] I don't think the chemistry between the leading characters was well-established, at least not in my opinion; they just didn't "mesh".
So you don't like "confuse-o-vision" either, eh? [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

<font color = red>Belle</font> saw The Others and thought it was better; we both saw Panic Room and thought it was better. We agree with you--about 6 on scale of 1 to 10.</font>

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
lroyo

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
<font color = lightgreen>Au contraire, Aviendha--<font color = red>belle</font> and I saw Mothman Prophecies.
I think they did a good job of creating a tense/uncertain atmosphere, but I wasn't sitting on the edge of my seat. Not all the questions were supposed to be answered. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img] I don't think the chemistry between the leading characters was well-established, at least not in my opinion; they just didn't "mesh".
So you don't like "confuse-o-vision" either, eh? [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

<font color = red>Belle</font> saw The Others and thought it was better; we both saw Panic Room and thought it was better. We agree with you--about 6 on scale of 1 to 10.</font>
Oh yes, The Others and The Panic Room were both much better! Particularly The Others, I enjoyed that very much! Thanks for your reply Azred!

Aviendha.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:48 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

<font color = lightgreen>You're very welcome.

I think what made Sixth Sense, The Others, and even Unbreakable better than Mothman Prophecies is that the first three movies built more suspense and then really blind-sided you from left field at the very end. Panic Room is more predictable; you know what will happen in the end, but it is the getting there that makes it good.

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were both really good; I am waiting for Signs next. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] </font>

Old 05-29-2002, 03:07 AM   #6
lroyo

I have to say that I found Unbreakable to be really disappointing. It seemed to be building up to something really well, but then I found the ending to be a major anti-climax. Beyond that, it just didn't make any sense to me. Oh well, maybe I was just expecting too much after having my brain turned inside out by The Sixth Sense.

I think I should watch it again, and maybe I will like it more.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:03 AM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

<font color = lightgreen>Point well taken. When you have time, I suggest watching Unbreakable again and note how, despite his (albeit latent) abilities, Willis' character's life is defined by tragedy rather than triumph. Also, note the relationship between the father and son--the son desperately needs his father to be a "hero" and only when the father begins to understand this does he become one. Fathers play an important role in this movie; Jackson's character doesn't have one... [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] </font>

Old 06-14-2002, 08:02 PM   #8
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have also seen The Mothman prophecies, but not completely due to the fact it was last at a movie marathon and almost evryone was out for the count. It was almost worth it though to see Dagorion soil his pants when the VERY loud sound accompanied by the flash, (when they are on the road) went off .

I thought the Others was a bit predictable.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:31 AM   #9
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Yep I saw Mothman profecies and thought it was brilliant!
Though the ending was a bit disappointing, so I only give it a 7 of 10.
But I don't really agree with the "confuse-o-vision". I think it just adds to the excitement. Well, in this movie it did anyway. Kiss of the Dragon on the other hand, now that's a movie where they could've kept the camera more still
Old 06-18-2002, 05:39 AM   #10
lroyo

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
I have also seen The Mothman prophecies, but not completely due to the fact it was last at a movie marathon and almost evryone was out for the count. It was almost worth it though to see Dagorion soil his pants when the VERY loud sound accompanied by the flash, (when they are on the road) went off .

I thought the Others was a bit predictable.
Maybe I'm naive or something, but I really didn't see the ending of The Other's coming. I've picked other movies very early, including Usual Suspects, but The Others had me from the very beginning.