Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I have a fan at the foot of my bed that helps me sleep. I have it on every night, summer or winter (I turn it away so it doesn't blow on me in the winter). Basically it drowns out background sounds, and that ringing in your ears you can get sometimes when it's ultra quiet. Its a solid, constant sound that never changes. I usually have my fans on medium (low is too quiet, and high is too loud). I don't sleep well at all without it either LOL.

You should try it Cloudy, if it doesn't work, well you still got yourself a fan for...something else LOL.

That's about all I have re sleep advice unfortunately.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #12
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Sleep, bah humbug! It's for people who don't have anything else to do!

Power down around 0100 and power up @ 0600, raise and salute the flag, do 100 push-ups 100 sit-ups, and hike 5Km, shower and off to work I go.

Usually just a good stretch in the evening prior to power down is all that is required.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Sleep, bah humbug! It's for people who don't have anything else to do!

Power down around 0100 and power up @ 0600, raise and salute the flag, do 100 push-ups 100 sit-ups, and hike 5Km, shower and off to work I go.

Usually just a good stretch in the evening prior to power down is all that is required.
Hey look...it's Mr. Kent, where have you been Clarke, we've missed you.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #14
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well I usually get 8 hours sleep a night. I tend to watch TV before I go to bed, then usually I will read in bed for half an hour or so as I find it hard to go straight to sleep when I first get into bed.

Other important things when you're trying to maximise sleep are having a very regular sleep and wake time - mixing up when you go to sleep and when you wake make it hard for your body to know when to wind down and be ready for sleep. Also, if you haven't been active in the day you will be less likely to be able to get to sleep easily. This is hard if your job involves sitting at a desk most of the day, but doing 20 mins or so of exercise in the evening (although a couple of hours before you go to bed) can make a big difference.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Q'alooaith, I read someplace that it sometimes helps people get to sleep if the room is cooler. Certainly works for me!

LadyZ, the hubby used to have a fan on for air circulation at night. Not sure about winter... but he's a total mummy with all his blankets on so he might not even notice it. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] I usually like it really quiet, though. But I did used to run my air purifier all night so that's probably similar- it drowns out just about any other noises! Might try it if it's too noisy to sleep!

Ha! Legolas gets 7+ hrs of sleep! So it IS possible! *wide eyed in wonderment* I really must try this magical 7+ hrs!

Obviously lack of sleep has seriously damaged our friend, Felix, and affected his ability to avoid excercise, ... *cannot imagine doing that many situps ever*

Now I can understand not getting much sleep with a baby in the house like Mack has... or if one is partying like some of you but I don't have much in the way of either excuse so I think I may be able to tackle this experiment!

We're going to try it, at any rate. I think no matter how much I end up sleeping, I'll always find things that could keep me up or need doing... but in the interests of science, not ripping my spouse's head off each morning and attempting to get back on the downward spiral, weightwise, I'm going for it! Wish me luck!

[ 06-30-2006, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Aelia, I have the 'sedentary' job problem of not being terribly active all day. I have heard that excercising within three hours of going to bed might keep you awake, so that leaves me early morning or right after getting home which is probably not going to happen! I know me and when I get home I mostly like to crash for a bit before doing anything else.

Hmm.. I may have to consider morning... but ugh.. not a morning person! LOL Still, I know even a little excercise (dang I said that dirty word again! ) is beneficial and I SHOULD figure out how to get that 20-30 minutes in each day...sigh...being healthy is such a chore!
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #17
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Being healthy ? Have you been reading all sorts of crap magazines or something ? Being healthy is a state of mind, not what others think of you, or tell you to do.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, I'm doing what I should have done years ago, johnny, and trying to drop some pounds and get in a little better shape. It's a whole lot harder now than it was 20 yrs ago that's for sure!
Old 06-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #19
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
LOL, I'm doing what I should have done years ago, johnny, and trying to drop some pounds and get in a little better shape. It's a whole lot harder now than it was 20 yrs ago that's for sure!
Well, forget about asking around about sleeping hours and stuff, get your ass outside, and jog around the block a couple of times before you head to the office. Believe me, you'll feel tired, but much better about yourself after a while.

Believe me, all those diets, or so called health advices don't mean jack if you don't get off your butt and get busy. It's the most painful way to get back in shape, but it's the ONLY way.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, I know I have to be more active, just have to find time/motivation and things that won't hurt my knees. But in my defense, I HAVE lost 50 pounds in the last year and a few months and that was without any strenuous excercise, so I imagine adding some won't hurt, but wasn't the only way to drop some pounds!

[ 06-30-2006, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]