Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 04:34 AM   #1
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hey guys, im relatively new to NWN. My first character was a wizard, which i played most of the way through finding the four creatures. Im currently playing my second character which is a paladin with stats:
  • STR: 14
  • DEX: 10
  • CON: 14
  • WIS: 14
  • INT: 10
  • CHA: 14
I have taken the power attack and cleave feats.

I've only got the original game, no expansions. I'm after any hints/tips about playing a paladin and also a location for a magic long sword. I found someone who can make me a special one under a building in the core.

EDIT: I'm level 3.

[ 08-31-2005, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: White Lancer ]
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
Zink Whistlefly

The easiest way to get a +1 Longsword is to take the Weapon Focus: Longsword feat. Certain bosses and treasure chests drop magical weapons based on what you are focused in. Alternatively, you might be able to purchase one from one of the many merchants in NWN - a few to try - The Half Orc above the blacksmith's (City Core), or you could try the 20 in a Quiver store in the Docks area.

As for hints and tips for a paladin - you've chosen very nicely rounded stats, whilst not excelling in any one area you've made sure that you have no penalties and can use all you abilities well. Since charisma powers the paladins many special abilities (Turning undead (there are LOTS of undead in NWN!), smiting evil, divine shield etc) I'd concentrate on that at first, but jacking up your strength is probably also a good thing. You could try putting your first two points from levels 4 and 8 into Charisma, and then the points from levels 12 and 16 into strength (since you'll be slugging around heavy armour and possibly a tower shied which is 70 lb's already!) which will raise your BAB, damage and carry weight ability. Finding and equipping items that bolster your strength and charisma should supersede any others (such as a Nymph cloak and a girdle of strength). Don't bother taking Extra Turning as a feat since you can just rest if you run out, and there are far better feats available. Aim for Knockdown and Improved Critical next.

EDIT: just seen you're level 3 already...are you human, and if so what was your third feat choice?

[ 08-31-2005, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Zink Whistlefly ]
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:28 AM   #3
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks Zink, that should help me alot. Im doing the peninsula currently and it seems to be far too easy... my mage got creamed by the gang leaders there, which i didnt see as too bad, since they are classed as overpowering. But my paladin managed to take one gang leader and his 3 lackeys all by himself. Tomi got creamed in an earlier fight and i thought VERY seriously about running. In the end it turned out pretty good for me, with still having almost full health... it does seem however that it was way too easy.

Anyhow, is an AC of 20 about normal around this level?
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:50 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

It really depends on your build (some casters might have an AC 8 at that point), but using only non-magical items, the fullplate/towershield combination giving AC 22 (at Dexterity 12+) is about as good as it gets.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, i've found my Long Sword+1. Now all i need is a diamond. Are these found on merchants? will i find one whilst looking for the missing creatures?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #6
Zink Whistlefly

There's a couple of places where you can find a diamond in chapter 1:
  • Ophala - Moonstone Mask (apparently as a reward when you have collected all the items, but may require persuasion)
  • Underneath the seedy tavern (Bloodsailor Hideout) inside a chest after you face a rather tough Bloodsailer lieutenant! The chest is a boss chest which will contain random stuff but also a diamond. It will most likely be locked and heavily trapped so beware!
The second option is probably your best bet since persuasion might not work (especially considering a lawful good paladin shouldn't really be doing the Moonstone mask quest anyway ). You might get lucky and find a diamond as random loot however...
Old 08-31-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Cool, i'll check out this bloodsailor leutenant... and i'll relieve him of his head. Coincidently, level 4!

Are there any better longswords i can get in this chapter? I shudder when i think of how much this blacksmith is going to charge me for the sword...
Old 08-31-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just entered the beggars nest (the zombie infested place) i LOVE turn undead. I cast that and every zombie drops dead at my feet!!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 AM   #9
Zink Whistlefly

I think the Astral (is that right?) upgraded Longsword will be the best you get for a while, mostly thanks to the extra 1D6 damage or whatever it has, making it more damaging that +3 and even +4 longswords. You'll get another chance to upgrade it later in the game too [img]smile.gif[/img]

I don't think he charges too much for the work - something like 500GP. Your paladin might also want to investigate the Whitebone Armour that he can craft. It's deceptive because it requires leather armour to make (so I thought it was light armour for a while), but it actually produces a damn fine suite of +2 half plate!
Old 09-06-2005, 03:58 AM   #10
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, the astral longsword is 1d8+1 +1d6 sonic (sound?) damage. I made the Mace of Disruption as well, thinking it'd help with the undead, what a joke! that thing does only slightly more damage than my longsword+1 to undead, it only wins on average damage!! (1d8+1 vs. 1d6+1 +2 vs undead)

The whitebone armor is what im after now. looking for a gargoyle skull and having trouble locating it. I know i have found one somewhere and i know its always in the same place, SPOIL ME PLEASE!! this skull is driving me nuts!