Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
cattya
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi,

I got a problem. This is my second time through IWD. I've played HOW and ToTL and so everything is currently installed on my computer - patches and all. For some reason the computer crashes whenever I approach the area with the great forged dragon boat. No message comes up, the game just stops. I've tried entering the area through the two different doors that lead to this area. The door closest to Brother Perdiem's area allows me to walk up to the point where I would fight the whole bunch of giants (but I never reach them) and the other door (from the mines where Guello is) I can't even get through. I was reading the previous posts and i read something about deleting a cache folder ... how do i do that? Will that solve the problem? Please Help!
cattya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The cache folder is located at this location (assuming you used the default installation):

C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale\cache

where C is the location of your hard drive

Simply delete the entire data folder contained within the cache folder
You should probably also delete the contents of the temp and temp save folders as well

If the crash ONLY occurs in this one area, then you either have a corrupted area file OR a corrupted save game. Try reloading an earlier save, go to the same area and if that game crashes as well, its probably a corrupted area file. If the area file is corrupted, you will have to reinstall the game completely. Unfortunately, tere is no solution that I know of for fixing a corrupted saved game file UNLESS you can convince one of the moderators at the Interplay forums to fix the file in question for you.

You should ALSO make sure that you have installed the patches in the right sequence. If you have ToLM installed, then NO additional patches are required after at its installation.

The correct sequence of patches is as follows:

IWD ... IWD patch .... HOW .... HOW patch .... ToLM

Applying patches out of order can cause SERIOUS problems to the game files.

[ 01-11-2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 01:29 PM   #3
cattya
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi micah,

thanks for the info. i'm not exactly sure what happened but i'm just going to export my characters to HOW and start there. i'll try start a new IWD game another time and see what happens. kind of disappointing, but not the end of the world. thanks again.
cattya is offline   Reply With Quote