Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2001, 11:15 AM   #21
Sean
Dungeon Master

Minsc has always been the most annoying git in the know world, that coupled with the fact that he will invariably die first in every battle makes him a definate no no for your party. Unfortunately I'm a little slow on the uptake so I had already ploughed to much exp points into him to kick him out and now i'm saddled with him. DOH!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:16 PM   #22
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Evil Korgan is far superior to Minsc. He starts as a grand master with an axe so from the start you can plow exp into his hammer skill and by the time he gets CromFayer he destroy's anything that moves. He also gets the dwarven thrower wich is possibly the most underated weapon in the game. His enrage ability makes him usefull against kangaxx and he is without doubt the funniest character in the game.

Minsc on the other hand is a feltcher and to goody goody!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:48 PM   #23
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

...i think minsc really sucks. I mean, wich stupid idiot decided to spent his weapon-points in such a stupid way ?! ** Two handed Sword. OK. Why not. But why ** in Longbow ?! you can only wield either of them...and what about ** in dual handed combat ?! of you use two weapons you can neither wield a two-handed sword or a Bow... ...i think someone did not quiet think things over when developing this NPC...
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 12:57 PM   #24
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Dude... Minsc is a Ranger. All Rangers get 2* in Two Weapon Style whether they like it or not. So if you want to diss, diss not the programmer, but the people who created 2nd Ed D&D.

Rangers are suppose to be living in the wild, and sometimes it is far better to shoot a target, then to engage it in melee. There is nothing wrong with having profiencies in Longbows, it makes sense. Who wants to hunt rabbits with a sword? Far better and more efficient to hit it with a bow.

Minsc does not seem like a guy who bothers with shields( blows to the head anyone?), and his dialogue points to this.

"No effect? Need bigger sword!"

So it also makes sense that he prefers Two-Handed Swords.

Remember, the NPCs were made with roleplay in mind. If you want to totally powergame, then go create a custom party instead.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:08 PM   #25
Russ
Manshoon

There are definitely a lot of immature and sadistic people on these types of boards... rpg's allow these small people to act out in fantasy-land what would get them brutally and righteously stomped in real life. So Minsc and Jaheira aren't suficiently evil and solipsistic to suit the needs of a solipsistic player? Oooh, there's a big surprise...

But to Minsc's ability, I've always found him very valuable. Good with a bow, good with a two-handed sword, good with a mace, good with anything else we tend to give him... dies very infrequently, and his only major problem is a susceptibility to confusion due to his generally confused state to start with. Definitely, as long as he's not being wasted on a dual-wield, he's very valuable. (A ranger is not a toe-to-toe fighter: dual-wield is a backup for when you're out of arrows...) Berserking gets him out of a number of difficulties, and his ability to charm animals has come in handy on numerous occasions. I don't have any kind of mommy syndrome to deal with regarding these characters... my male character certainly wouldn't. Otoh, he's not going to waste time hanging out with people whose behaviour he'd condemn, in the first place.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:15 PM   #26
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

? Why is it wasted to make Minsc Dual-Wield? I always felt Minsc seem to have more fun when he is swinging 2 Flails wildly.

Just visualise it in your head, Minsc, with 2 Flails and swinging them.

It always brings a smile to my face when I think about it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2001, 01:51 PM   #27
Russ
Manshoon

If you were to leave him only dual-wielded, then it would be a waste.
My bad, I wasn't clear enough. Occasionally dual-wielding him is great, and the image is indeed priceless. But Minsc with good arrows and a magic longbow can be very effective indeed, especially when it comes to weeding out the mages prior to dealing with the enemy's thugs.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:56 PM   #28
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, I do sometimes let Minsc shoot arrows, but I mostly let him Dual-Wield.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:11 PM   #29
Gary Smith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Grrr. Minsc is ACE!!! Hes amazing and also funny and also....
SPOILER
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
He gets you sent to the loony asylum in a funny way.

"Why is he pointing a hamster at me?"

woohoo lol. And who cares if minsc isnt a killer incarnate? When i was in a roleplaying group we had one guy, a fighter, who thought it was his god given right to have the most powerful character in the party. Well that was before he tried to kill the ranger (who had -13 armour class hehe) and got fryed by the mage. Then he begged us to raise him back and eventually we did but we nicked all his stuff. Now the people who moan about minsc saying he isnt the best fighter remind me of that person. Its not about how good they are, its about how much fun they are to have in your party. I mean Minsc will have cool conversations with almost every character in the game, you cant get that with a 5 star killer.
Me: What!! you cant kill me!<br />GM: I can do anythink i want.<br />Me: What did i do!!<br />GM: Your not being a party player<br />Me: Im Neutral Evil for Gods Sake!<br />GM: So your calling upon the gods of ravenloft to save you then.<br />Me: what....<br />[GM rolls the D20]<br />GM: Well thats a 15, added on 5 for all those graves youve robbed in the past adventure, thats a 20. Powers check please.<br />Me: Oh Cr*p.<br />[Me rolls D20]<br />Me: I got a 5<br />GM: Your still alive.<br />Me: Woohoo!!<br />GM: But your now half goat.<br />Me: Oh... WOOHOO!!
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 08:20 PM   #30
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Amen. In Hell, I'll be playing a neverending game with Korgan, Anomen, Mazzy, Haer'Dalis, and Edwin as my only choices. My mage will never learn spells, and they won't let me QuickSave. LOL. No Multiplayer, either.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote