Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2001, 04:49 PM   #1
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series of books was recomended to me by a friend a couple of months ago. I bought the first book the next day and then put off starting it for about a month and a half. The day I started the first book, my life came to a screeching halt. I couldn't bring myself to do anything if it meant putting the book down. I am now halfway through the second book and loving it.

Has anyone else read them? If so, what did you think?

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:44 PM   #2
Sentinel04
The Magister

Have you read any of the Wheel of Time books? They rock, flat out. I'm 1/2 through the fourth, and am loving it.

I, too, have read the second sword of truth novel. It looks like Mr. Goodkind 'borrows creatively' from Robert Jordan(Wheel of Time author).

Anyway, whenever you're finished with th SoT series, check out the Wheel of Time series. You'd probably like them a lot.
Sentinel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 12:32 PM   #3
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Howdy Milamber!

I have read the entire Sword of Truth series and love it! One of my top three or four series picks. The saga starts a bit slow in the first book, but gets better and better with each novel. I have *really* enjoyed his latest in the series, "Faith of the Fallen". I think that is like the 5th book in the series?

Goodkind delivers a very subtle message that can be very hard to pick up if you are not sensitive to it. It is not obtrusive to the storyline, but adds to it without sounding like whining. I really enjoyed seeing the characters develop throughout the series of novels...something you rarely see anymore in modern fantasy writings. The main character (Richard) is a very introspective fellow and spends lots of time battling back and forth within himself with what is right and what it wrong (in his estimation, of course). The interesting part is that he makes decisions about things, but it is never really clear whether he has made the "right" decision or not.

*Very* good read! Highly recommended!

Little of everything in these stories...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 12:34 PM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

BTW guys...I *seriously* disagree with the notion that Goodkind borrows from Jordan. I don't find the two series' to have the first thing to do with one another. But...that's just my opinion.

Jordan's Wheel of Time series is also one of my top reads, but I just don't think that it and the Sword of Truth are anything alike...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 02:40 PM   #5
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

And I seriously want to marry a Mord-Sith (nothing to do with the leathers )

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 04:28 PM   #6
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

my brother bought that for me for christmas, i havent gotten to it yet. but i'm almost done reading the rest of my line up. so i'm about to start that.

------------------

*Lord of the Screen Shot*
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin
slackerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 05:06 PM   #7
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Glad to hear the everyone else likes them too. Sentinel04, thanks for the recomendation to Robert Jordan. I have heard very good things about his books. I think they will be next on the line up. As far as borrowing creatively is concerned, I have never read any of Jordans books, so I can't tell, but two things I noticed and I can't tell if it is a nod of the hat to other authors or not, but there are a people called "Sandarians" which sound like the sendarians from the David Eddings books in the Belgariad. There is also a "Nameless One" as the enemy and there is a nameless one as the main enemy in Raymond Feists books who my namesake fought vigilantly to keep down.

Regardless, they are excellent reading and I fear my life will remain on hold until I can finish them all.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 07:07 PM   #8
Axterix
Manshoon

Jordan, sadly, he's lost his focus. My advice is put off reading him until he finishes the series. The first books are great. Just awesome reading. And then the plot stops and all you get for a bunch of books is people whining about how so and so can handle the opposite gender better then them. Okay, we get the point, move on. Combine that with trying to follow too many characters in too many places doing too many unimportant things... well, suffice it to say one of the most compelling (and one of the main as well) characters doesn't even get touched upon in one of the later books.

With the plot stopped as it currently is, not starting is the best way to go. Hopefully, a few less book sales will enlighten Jordan that maybe, just maybe, he needs to get back to what made the first books great. And it'll save you from having to wait a year or two between books for the next book in which nothing will happen. And when that book does come out, you'll reread the previous ones... up until the time you realize that nothing really happens and you decide to just not bother refreshing your memory anymore.

So much potential... but sadly much of it lost due to an author that has lost his grip on his vision and let it spiral out of control.

And so, wait for him to finish... and then read it all.

Until then, enjoy your Goodkind.
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 02:29 AM   #9
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

just started wizards first rule today.

------------------

*Lord of the Screen Shot*
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin
slackerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 10:32 AM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Axterix:
Jordan, sadly, he's lost his focus. .
Yeah... he is not the only author to succumb to publishers who just want 'em to churn out more books so they (the publisher) can make lots of nice profit. And the fan are not blameless either! We want more and MORE of the same RIGHT NOW! Never mind if the writer needs more time to produce good work..! Don't blame the writers too much! They are under a lot of pressure to compete for audiences, and some can work with that better than others.

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote