Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 03:30 PM   #1
chrisofthedale
Account Removed by Request

I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas for an awesome party? I want atleast have a sorcerer(no wizards please, scrolls cost money), 2 fighters one range and one for combat, one cleric, and a rogue. The other spot is open for discussion. And on an important note, I do not DUAL CLASS! and I would like this party to remain neutral or lawful good based, so no baddies. I am also opent to losing the cobat fighter for something else, maybe a paladin. So the info I am interested in would be stats, feats, skills and race. Thanks for any help provided and so you know i have nothing against dual classing, I just rather pure class thats all. Thanks again all!
chrisofthedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:38 PM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

You can try here for some ideas:

http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums...threadid=66012
Old 11-06-2002, 03:39 PM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Here too:

http://www.nomiata.com/iwd2/IdealParty
Old 11-06-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
chrisofthedale

Thanks but like I said I don't like dual classing.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:57 PM   #5
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well yeah, the "ultimate party" thread does reccomend mostly dualing - but has some good discussions in it nonetheless.

The "ideal party guide" is probably better for what you want.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:01 PM   #6
chrisofthedale

Yes it is good, but what I am really looking for is peoples opinions on this forum.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:08 PM   #7
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

OK - here is what I would do for the Sorcerer. I would go with an Aasimar for the 20 starting Cha. If he's going to be the leader, then give him a 14 Int, you can max the skills concentration, spellcraft, bluff and diplomacy that way.

For feats, SF/GSF in Evocation and Necromancy (he'll be an offensive caster). After spellcraft reaches 10, take a couple of the elemental magic feats like spirit of flame, scion of storms, etc.

He would probably be the character I would give the "how to be an adventurer" book to, to get over his ECL penalty, and also since Sorcerers get spells a level after Wizards do.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:12 PM   #8
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

For a ranged fighter, I'd go with a pure Fighter who can start with a Dex of 20, (and preferably have a high Str too for when he has to switch to melee) so an Elf or Tiefling would be my choice for race.

Skills wouldn't be too important to me; but as for feats, I'd go with WF/WS in either the longbow or crossbow, and with the sling (for piercing and blunt damage). Also dirty fighting and improved critical would be good choices.

I guess if you wanted to you could also dump all of your skill points into Alchemy now that I think about it, once it reaches an 8, you can take the envenom weapon feat which works with ranged weapons.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:41 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The only problem with crossbows is you get just one attack per round, no matter what, unless the weapon itself allows more shots. With a regular bow, you get your full number of attacks, and an extra one with rapid shot (at least until you reach 5 attacks per round). Plus, there are more types of arrows for bows then there are bolts for crossbows.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:47 PM   #10
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

True re: the crossbow. But the good ones do the most damage, enough to make them useful against thick skinned, damage resistant foes - and as you said there are some that grant more than one shot. Early on the sling would be the best if the character was designed with a high Str, since it adds your Str bonus to damage and allows rapid shot. And I agree, against most foes, a bow would be better than (most) crossbows for the rate of fire.

The other consideration would be RP value; do you see the ranged fighter from a RP point of view a bow or x-bow guy?

You also could take wf/ws in all three if you were a pure fighter, they have the feats to burn.