Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2002, 07:53 PM   #1
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

I am playing in HOF mode now and these creatures are tough. Honestly without improved invisibility and summoning I dont think i would beat a Decanter Goblin. LOL. Seriously is there any charcter or way to go toe to toe in HOF mode with out constantly having to raise half your party from he dead?
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 10:55 PM   #2
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

You know quite honestly, when I beat HoF I relied HEAVILY on invisibility and Summons. It was the only way MY party could handle it. Not even my barbarian could go toe to toe with a HoF Monster.

-Why is everyone so down on Summons BTW?? Its not like its cheating or Cheap, its the benifit that normaly weak spellcasters get that allow them to fight others... No doubt those poor arcane spell slingin' lawn jockey stayed up for DAYS learning those spells while the rest of the party slept and ate. And what thanks do they get??? You people say: "NAY SPELL CASTER! THOU SHALT NOT SUMMON!" I think my next party I am going to make ALL spell casters and ONLY use summons. Take that status quo!
Old 11-05-2002, 09:30 PM   #3
jerloser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with Jack.Ive also found that mass haste can help a invisable party if the caster cast it on him(or her)self it will effect the whole party,then chop chop chop.
jerloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:00 PM   #4
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

hehehe
i actually managed to kill the goblins floating around the docks with 4 level 1 characters in HOF. HOW? made sure they all had the dash ability, purchaced bows, and just kept running around a house and shooting off arrows every now and again.
Took absolutely ages! And they could never ever hope to do the warehouse.

I agree about sumonning monsters. Its a valid spell line and highly useful. Why bother taking damage that could be adsorbed by a summoned weenie or two?
Because of this all my characters are very proficient with ranged weapons.

You can also use them as decoys. My fave high level tactic is send of a few skeletons and get all the monsters to attack them, then lob off a few horrid whiltings... great tactics!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:53 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I don't use summon because I usually play good characters, and I refuse to summon undead and demons. The other summons are just not worth it.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:21 PM   #6
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

My fav HOF tactics:

All fighter class engage the enemies, they will be out-number like 4 to 1 due to their high levels. They will normally kill a few but generally will bite the dust 3 - 4 rounds into the battle. Then my sorc & mages with use the Oti's globe on them after that mass dominate / horrid / prismatic spray / power word/symbols / mord's sword etc. After that the cleric will do his mojo, mass healing (forgot the spell name-full heal) and we will go look for more to kill...
Old 11-06-2002, 08:44 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

There's a great little dagger in the store in Targos in HoF mode. I think it's called Goblin slayer. What's it do? Like it's name says, it slays golbins with a single hit. It can sure help you get thru chapter 1.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

What about Elementals and Animals Luvian? Surely Elementals and Shambling mounds are worth it and they are not evil. Besides... whats DnD with out some Evil Creatures... if it makes you feel better you are using them against evil people and creatures. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

You need protection from evil 15' radius to summon elementals, So I would rather memorise 2 more damaging spells than a protection AND a summon for every summon I plan to make.

As for animal summoning, every time I tried it it was worthless.

The time I was attacked by like 30 orcs and some bugbears in the horde fortress and I summoned 3 dogs come to mind...

Summon monster IX summon 9 hit dices of monsters, you can cast it when you get like level 16 or so, and every monsters you encounter are your level or more. What is the point?

Edit: In Baldur's Gate II I really like to summon elementals in big fights, they where basically immune to everything. Now they are not worth it.

[ 11-06-2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 11-08-2002, 12:46 PM   #10
Lynthar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have been playing HOF and do very little summoning. Instead I use spells like defensive harmony, shield of lathadar, recitation and from the wizard, maste haste, wail of banshee, executioners eyes, power words/symbols. And yes, after a few rounds my cleric is generally used up with healing everyone. I have found that a combination of defensive and offensive spells are a must. If I blunder into a large number of enemies and I am not prepared death follows shortly there after. I have tried doing one on one with the enemies and find that I will usually have to do at least one complete heal to survive even with my most powerful fighter. Very challenging!