Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2002, 01:10 PM   #1
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

OK... seems most of the threads on this topic are out to 30 posts and I am sick of sifting through them. [img]smile.gif[/img] I would like to add to the conversation this: If you dont like using the "Cheat" console but still want to "EXPERIMENT!" with high level characters, be sure to EXPORT your character with the "How To Be An Adventurer" book when you get it at the monestary. As a SEVERE exploit (and I NEVER EVER! use these characters to PLAY the game this just for seeing how things stack up with out wasting time with say a Half-Orc Sorcerer!) ANYWAY as a severe exploit you can import this character into a new game in targos SIX times take all the books put them on one character export that character then import it six times take all the books and put them on one character ETC until your inventory is full of these books. In Regular mode it gives ONE character 10,000 exp, the HoF ed is 20,000 and thats the one I use because its quicker and you only have to import ONE character to level someone up to 30. You can use the two together to try out different multi-classes and see what kind of stats they would have at level thirty or more realisticly for you Non-HoF players lvl 16. Unless your soloing of course.

Purpose: I dont like touching ANY cheat consoles Etc. Once used its too tempting to warp yourself out or level yourself up to get out of a tough situation because "The game is unfair" or "but but but... third edition rules say..." And I dont like to get into the "Cycle of 'legitimate' Cheating".

Note: IMHO
-If you use this tactic to dupe items in a current game YOUR CHEATING [img]smile.gif[/img]
-If you make Characters in the method above and use them in a game YOUR CHEATING [img]smile.gif[/img]

BUT the reason I bring this up is there are a lot of good multi-class combos that people dont want to waste an entire game on so they never try. I would like to see these made and the ideas and insights you get from them shared in the forums for other peeps who like myself would never have considered a Human SorcX/Monk1/Pal1/Fighter1 until I made one myself and checked the stats.
Or the famed and too powerful Fighter4/BarbarianX.

So if you have any REALY good combos post a note and tell us what their stats are and what makes them great. And please dont shoot down other peoples ideas until you try them yourself. The manual is full of lies. Some things you just got to try yourself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

*IF YOU DISAGREE WITH MY METHODS IM SORRY* [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 02:44 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Just a note for anyone using the method above or the cheat console to raise levels quickly: go up one level at a time. If you take all the exp at once, say to level 15, then your character shoots up from 1 to 15, and you won't be able to do individual class raises.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 12:16 AM   #3
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Good point. Thx.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:48 AM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Keep your spell casters pure. Multi-class your rogue with fighter/ranger. (10 rogue is enough) Multi-class fighters with barbarians (4 Fig, x Barb) Multi class paladins with fighters. (4 fighter/ x Pal)
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:53 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

I've got a couple of parties out that have fighters with 2 levels of rogue (natural raises, not cheat console exp). That was strictly for giving them the evasion ability, and it is working well. So nice to evade winter wolf breath, Frostfingers, and other unpleasant spells.

One thing I noticed (this is the unpatched, original version) is that the game is calculating the skill levels based on full character level. It still costs a fighter 2 points to bring up the rogue stuff like pick lock and detrap.

So a Fighter 8/Rogue 2 can have 13 points in a rogue skill. Pretty good if you aren't taking a real rogue with you. And I haven't noticed much difference in fighting ability between Fighter 8 and Fighter 10.

I started the characters off as first level fighters, switched to rogue for the next two, then continued on with fighter.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:29 PM   #6
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

If you like lots and lots of sneak attack damage 10 levels of rogue isn't enough. And what other reasons is their to use a rogue, other than to ubercheese?

Also, what is the point of tossing in those ranger levels? To duel wield? If you take 4 levels of ranger, your going to be wasting levels I would think. I have seen suggested usually that one should keep their fighter and ranger at the same level abouts, and this is not productive really, unless you are actually going for the rangers abilities (which are nicer at higher levels...).
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 11:17 PM   #7
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Anyone know if a rogue/sorceror (level4level) and a fighter/cleric (level4level) would work?
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 01:20 PM   #8
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I found that Rogue/Wizard is a better mix for theiving purposes, but if your going for Intimidation then that would probably be fine... and there is NOTHING wrong with a Fighter/Cleric in my opinion. I made a Half Orc Fighter4/Cleric26 for kicks and she had the same To Hit bonus as my level 27 Barbarian did at the end of HoF... Not bad for a religious zealot.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:26 PM   #9
Vassago
Manshoon

I'm currently working on a Monk X/Cleric X. I think she is going to be mostly Monk. I am bringing her along as a healer, but not a full blown healer. She basically will cast some heal spells till the party can get somewhere to do a full rest. I decided to go this way because I only wanted to have 4 characters.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:56 PM   #10
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I've had very good results with a Rogue/Wizard, who I have mostly made Wizard (started as a Rogue, has so far taken only 2 levels of it and I think 11 of Wizard). He's a Tiefling who started with a 20 Int, so he's had tons of skill points to keep the Rogue skills up pretty well. Also is used as an archer with envenom weapon. Can't wait to have him start using Tenser's Transformation too for when he goes into melee [img]smile.gif[/img] He's a very useful, flexible "skill machine".