Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 05:33 AM   #1
Duke Hereward
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So I'm killing people last night and then decide to let rip on a shadow elf mage with a lightening bolt from my very own mage. The bolt killed the shadow elf, along with a couple of others, before heading straight back around the room to kill my mage (they'd all taken a few hits beforehand).

I thought this might be because I was indoors, but next time I got into the open air I tried the spell out and pretty much the same thing happened! Whats the deal with lightening spells / wands and when/where is it safe to use them?
Old 11-13-2002, 05:57 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

This is one of the reasons why I avoid using the Lightning Bolt spell like the plague. I vastly prefer Slow and Flame Arrow.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:01 AM   #3
Duke Hereward
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is there any use for this spell then or should I just wipe it from my Mage's memory never to be used again?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:27 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke Hereward:
Is there any use for this spell then or should I just wipe it from my Mage's memory never to be used again?
If the bouncing was done by true reflection, it would be incredibly useful and powerful. But its done by 8-point cardinal approximation. Translation - damn near uncontrollable. I use it sometimes, and occasionaly it will bounce across a corridor and hit the same enemy loads of times - causing immense damage. But mostly I prefer spells where skil rather than luck determin the outcome.

Its safe to use if theres nothing for it to bounce off, but thats rare.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:33 AM   #5
Keraptisdm
Elminster

It must have hit a rock, tree, etc while you were outside. Very dangerous spell. Good damage to enemies, then WHAM, nailed with friendly fire. Cast and scatter with caution.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:37 AM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Lighning bolts are great just make sure you take your medicine first (Potion of absorption). If you don't have potions, scrolls etc, then you can still use them in large rooms because you have time to move your guys out of the way. Personally I don't use them alot but I wouldn't give up on them.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote