Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Who exactly is he? I know he's a vampire and all, but can anyone give me some background on him?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 03-19-2004, 01:21 AM   #2
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Nosferatu is the German word for vampire.
Unless you are referring to the White Wolf Nosferatu Antediluvian...
Old 03-19-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Yea, I'm talking about the funny looking bald one with the messed up front teeth [img]tongue.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 03-19-2004, 04:56 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Here's a little history. Can't find much about though. Most links take you to Hollywood sites, or Clansites, since Nosferatu is also a clan in the popular "Masquerade" scene.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:53 AM   #5
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Unless you are talking about the movie Nosferatu?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens
(or Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Terror))

Directed by F.W. Murnau

Starred Max Schreck (schreck is fear in German) as Graf Orlok (the funny looking bald one with the messed up front teeth).

It was the first filmed version of the novel Dracula with the names changed when Bram Stoker's wife charged his novel was being filmed without proper permission ie. Harker became Hutter.

Details are here.

Quote:
Quoted from article:
Much has been made of actor Max Schreck's contribution to Nosferatu. His unworldy thin rodent-like features, exaggerated by makeup and high-shouldered wardrobe, leave even the casual film viewer with the most unsettling feelings. If ever an actor was born to play a role, Max Schreck was born to play Dracula. In concert with Schreck, director F.W. Murnau brought easily the eeriest Dracula to the motion picture screen. It is no accident that several of the shots of Orlok the vampire are among the most visually striking in cinema history: the shot of Orlok walking through the doorway into Hutter's bedroom, the shot of Orlok rising from his coffin on the seafaring ship, the low-angle shot from the ship's hold looking up at Orlok walking on the deck above, the shot of the shadow of Orlok walking up the stairway to Ellen's bedroom door, the shot of Orlok feasting on Ellen's blood only to realize that dawn has arrived. On and on the list of influential visuals goes.
Hope this is helpful!

Mark
Old 03-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

If you mean the word Nosferatu, I've found this little snippet of info:
-------------------------------------------------
The word "vampire" comes from the Slavic word obyri or obiri, which evolved into the Bulgarian word "vampir". Although sources differ greatly, some say that the Greek word nosophoros (which means "plague-carrier") that evolved into the Old Slavonic word "nosufur-atu" is a synonym for the word "vampire". In our culture, the words "vampire" and "nosferatu" are interchanged often.
-------------------------------------------------

Source: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/v/vampire.html
Old 03-19-2004, 04:16 PM   #8
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, I was about to add Nosferatu is not a German word...the German word for vampire is vampir . I never knew there was a guy named that, though...I only knew of the word from Dracula Dead and Loving It.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There was a second movie done named "Nosferatu" based on the making of the original. Starred John Malkovich and had the storyline that suggested the director of the original movie (F.W. Murnau) had made a deal with an actual vampire to play the lead role of the movie in return for the blood of the lead actress.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #10
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! I definitely need to see it! so, "Nosferatu" is the one about the making of the first one? (Just wanna make sure)