Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Hans Blix says the time needed for disarmament should have been shorter. It has only taken this long because of a lack of cooperation.

He didn't say more time is needed, he said it's already taken longer than it should have after UN1441, not to mention the wasted time in the 90's. The key, he has repeated, is Iraqi cooperation, which is not complete and certainly has not been immediate despite the final warning.

Mr. Blix seems to have laid it on the line, again! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 02-14-2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-14-2003, 12:18 PM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Colin Powell is certainly laying it on the line.

Quote:
Colin Powell in his address to the UN SC:
"UN1441 is NOT about inspections, it's about disarming Iraq."

"Despite all the lovely rhetoric, the questions (asked by 1441) still remain (unanswered)."

"(The Iraqis are thinking) String this out long enough, and the world will look elsewhere."
Great Job!

I didn't get to see everyone, but I was unimpressed with the French argument.

The Spainish and British also addressed the problem that the UN faces. If the UN can't enforce it's resolutions, what good are resolutions? Who makes the decisions about whether or not to submit, the UN or Iraq?

Was the best finishing statement the Russian Foreign Minister could come up with about today being Valentine's Day?

[ 02-14-2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-14-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Today the inspectors reported that Iraq still is not cooperating, and that without full cooperation the inspections cannot work.

Those who oppose military action suggest more inspectors, despite the statement by Hans Blix that more inspectors are not required. They want more time, despite the statement that the inspections could have been finished. Those who oppose have said Iraq is making progress in cooperation.

The Iraq response is that there are no weapons, and that they are cooperating fully. They say they are doing all they can. Interesting that that directly contradicts what the Inspectors reported today, but the nations who oppose action think there is progress.

Why do they want more inspectors when they've been told they're not needed, and why do they want inspectors, at all, if they aren't interested in listening to them? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Terak Aziz(sp?), in a press conference after meeting with the Pope, said the nations of Europe and the Middle East are neighbors while the US is separated from both by oceans(I guess we aren't in the "in" crowd). He warned European nations not to join in action against Iraq because they will be seen as Crusaders-Christains persecuting Muslims. He warns that all Muslim nations will be against any European country that joins in action.

Sounds like he's trying to do a little threatening of his own doesn't it? He appreciates the position France has spearheaded but wants to make clear if they change their mind, the whole Muslim world will be after them. That definately sounds like progress in the Iraqi postition doesn't it?

[ 02-14-2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Well then it is looking like their will be a war starting very soon.

Havent seen it yet but if the inspectors have ruled like you say.. then the plays have all been made and it has come down to the bottom line. Military action.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The French have said they will not back a resolution for force, so it isn't as imminent as the evidence would indicate it should be. The French want another report on March 15 and will only consider doing more than increasing the number of inspectors if the inspectors come back on March 15 and say "we can't work with the Iraqis any longer."

Not that they aren't complying, but that the inspectors "can't work with them anymore," so as long as the Iraqis are offering occasional "carrots" and explaining away violations, it appears that the French will block any action other than sending more inspectors. Gotta problem? Send more inspectors whether they're needed or not!

I don't mean to make it sound like the world is swinging over to the side of action because of the inspectors statements. Their was actually brief applause after both the French and Russian comments in the SC(a place were applause is rare), despite their ignoring what the inspectors said. Both said the are advances, so they're willing to go with inspectors awhile longer. There are advances, but one step forward and two steps back leaves us going in one direction, and to me, it seems like the same direction we were traveling in prior to the inspectors leaving in '98. It appears that the French want to be told, by the inspectors, that the time for war has come.

Also, even if the US decides to lead a coalition of the willing, it isn't going to happen while inspectors are still "in country", so the opposition actually has US blocked diplomatically and physically. The Iraqis don't need human shields from the civilian population to drop their lives and fly to Iraq, they already have inspectors, and for this reason, I'm sure Iraq agrees with the French call for more inspectors.

All that effort to protect the government whose representative is, today, outside the Pope's office in Vatican City making threats and invoking anti-Muslim stereotypes of any that think his nation is wrong.

Thank for chiming in DJ, I was getting tired of talking to myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-14-2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #6
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

Thank for chiming in DJ, I was getting tired of talking to myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I could tell!
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The only good thing about being in here by myself was that I was winning the debate...lol.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
The only good thing about being in here by myself was that I was winning the debate...lol.
Actually, i thought you talked yourself into a difficult situation here, you were losing to yourself.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:18 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

johnny, you may be right.

I think I've presented both sides, and I'm unwilling to budge on either, so I'll have to agree to disagree with myself and hope we...um, I can still be friends with...me. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]