Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 06:20 PM   #11
Charean
Hathor

I love doing this!

Here are some good quotes on Choice and Life:

"Freedom is the right to choose; the right to create for yourself the alternatives of choice. Without the exercise of choice, a man is not a man but a member, an instrument, a thing."
Archibald MacLeish

"Either do not attempt at all, or go through with it."
Ovid

"Everyone should carefully observe which way his heart draws him, and then chose that way with all his strength."
Hasidic Saying

"Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought."
Henri Bergson

"To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing."
Eva Young

"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop."
Confucius

"I must govern the clock, not be governed by it."
Golda Meir

"There are two ways to meeting difficulties. You alter the difficulties or you alter yourself to meet them."
Phyllis Bottome

"Nothing in life is so hard that you can't make it easier by the way you take it."
Ellen Glasgow

"If you will call your troubles experiences, and remember that every experience develops some latent force within you, you will grow vigorous and happy, however adverse your circumstances may seem to be."
JR Miller

"An error is simply a failure to adjust immediately from a preconception to an acuality."
John Cage

"To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it."
Confucius

"Trouble is only opportunity in work clothes."
Henry J. Kaiser

"The harder you fall, the higher you bounce."
Unknown

"Our real blessings often appear to us in the shapes of pains, losses and disappointments; but let us have patience, and we soon shall see them in their proper figures."
Joseph Addison

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it. "
Moliere

"I wasn’t afraid to fail. Something good always comes out of failure."
Anne Baxter

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising up every time we fail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... !!
Renunciate in Training {the Darkover Series, Marian Zimmer Bradley}
Trucker Punkin Fluffy
Whatever You Seek On The Outside, Seek First Within...
Adding a line to see if anyone really reads this stuff, or if I am just amusing myself.
Thinking about adding a book to the end of my sig... after all, this is getting purty darn long now... may be time to edit, ya think?
Old 06-13-2001, 06:36 PM   #12
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Man is born free yet everywhere he is in chains (voltaire I think I may well be wrong though)

Freedom is the ability to say 2+2=4
We shall meet in a place where there is no darkness(George Orwell)

To abolish God! said Gregory, opening the eyes of a fanatic. We do not only want to upset a few depotisms and police regulations, that sort of anarchism does exist but it is a mere branch of noncomformists. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitary distinctions of vice and vitue, honour and treachery, uponwhich mere rebel base themselves. The silly sentementalists of the French receloution talked of the Rights of man! We hate Rights and we hate Wrongs. We have abolished Right and Wrong. (G.KCheskerton)

History is hard to know, because so much of it is hired bullshit, but even without even being sure of history it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long flash line for reasons nobody really understands and which in retrospect, what actually happened ......(further down page cont).. there was madness in any direction at any hour. If not across the bay, then up Golden gate or down 101 to los altos or la honda. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense whatever we were doing was right that we were winning. And that, I think was the handle- the sense of the inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didnt need that. Our energy simply prevail. There was no point to fighting- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum, we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now less than five years later you can go up on a steep hill in vegas and look west and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see where the high water mark- that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back. (Hunter S Thompson)

------------------

[This message has been edited by jabidas (edited 06-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jabidas (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old 06-14-2001, 03:01 AM   #13
Keryvian
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
Thank you Charean for this very thought-provoking thread. I enjoyed reading it.

I agree completely. You start a lot of though-provoking threads.

As for your sig, I thought it WAS a book. Actually, I like your sig, I don't think you need to edit it.

------------------
Nid yw'r hoff o lyfr yn fyr o gyfaill.

[This message has been edited by Keryvian (edited 06-14-2001).]
Old 06-14-2001, 06:19 AM   #14
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

Charean, consider yourself "well-read." You are in no danger of going unnoticed in this forum, as we count on you for those quotes and anecdotes we need to balance the daily rush and pressures afforded us by life.

Off topic, CounterPoint wants a ride in your truck when you are once again "roadworthy." We both do.

"C'mon Trucker Punkin Fluffy, let's see what you've got! Can this thing do wheelies?"

------------------

[This message has been edited by DawnChaser (edited 06-14-2001).]
Old 06-14-2001, 09:16 AM   #15
Charean
Hathor

I *have* been known to get a 18 wheeler on 9 wheels before, not something I would recommend on a normal basis...

Now, before ya'll start asking for rides in the big truck, keep one thing in mind - I was taught by a West Virginia coal bucket driver (this means essentially that I don't understand what the word *brake* is... when I go down a mountain, it is full bore... have scared more than one co-driver that way!! )

Soooooo, any takers?

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... !!
Renunciate in Training {the Darkover Series, Marian Zimmer Bradley}
Trucker Punkin Fluffy
Whatever You Seek On The Outside, Seek First Within...
Adding a line to see if anyone really reads this stuff, or if I am just amusing myself.
Thinking about adding a book to the end of my sig... after all, this is getting purty darn long now... may be time to edit, ya think?
Old 06-14-2001, 09:28 AM   #16
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

wow... try reading chicken soup for the soul... teehee

is it fun riding the truck? i mean, can it give those "moments"?

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM 'S favorite pet pea-cock...teehee and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...