Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2003, 05:07 AM   #11
Melusine
Dracolisk

Davros obviously has no taste buds [img]tongue.gif[/img] Licorice is the food of the gods OK well not really... but it's definitely their favourite candy [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have to agree on the surströming though - from Wolfie's and Donut's stories I am convinced it's revolting!!

As for the topic itself, I've grown to be a fairly easy eater, I love almost all veggies and if I don't like one in a special dish, I do like it when it's prepared differently (not too crazy about spinach & egg, for instance, but spinach, cream and salmon over pasta is lovely). I love seafood, especially shrimp, salmon and dishes like paella with assorted sea food, shrimps, chorizo and chicken. I love olives, artichokes, capers, etc.

But when it comes to meat, I must say it's a bit harder. I hate anything "gross", i.e. anything with recognisable bits still on. Diced fillet of chicken is lovely, half a roast chicken is not. Minced meat in my pasta or a nice steak are fine, but organ meat (liver, kidney etc) is an absolute no-go. Basically anything with bone still in it. Jorath's list sounds like a meal they serve in hell. *shudder*
When I was little, my parents used to eat more meat with bone in it, and -shudder- I actually liked to gnaw on their leftover bones, get the last bits of meat off. When I grew older, thankfully I realised how gross that was and we started to eat less icky things like burgers and fishsticks.
Nowadays I eat almost exclusively chicken and beef, and only about thrice a week. The rest of the days it's either vegetarian or some kind of fish.

Rice, pasta, couscous, bread, potatos, any kind of beans and peas I have no problems with. To be completely honest I find it kind of annoying when people dislike most foodstuffs. Makes it a nuisance to cook for them (I like mediterranean dishes, but when someone eats neither meat, fish nor cheese or hates olives, vegetables and mushrooms... well what am I supposed to give them??) but also I think it sounds so spoiled. It's a cliche, but just be glad you HAVE food.

[ 11-04-2003, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 11-04-2003, 05:22 AM   #12
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
It's a cliche, but just be glad you HAVE food.
I agree with your reasoning [img]smile.gif[/img] , but I challenge you on the contention - nay, the misconception that salted licorice has a recognisable place in any of the known food groups .
Old 11-04-2003, 05:40 AM   #13
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
It's a cliche, but just be glad you HAVE food.
I agree with your reasoning [img]smile.gif[/img] , but I challenge you on the contention - nay, the misconception that salted licorice has a recognisable place in any of the known food groups . [/QUOTE]I now make it my mission to find and try this food. The taste of licorice both real *twigs* and candy is the food of gods.

Joreth those meals you describe are sooooo disgusting. Remind me never to go to iceland. BTW is it true you guys eat raw fish eyes as a treat?

Harkoliar where are you... please tell everyone about the special eggs you eat in the phillopenes. If his story does not make you barf you must be from iceland. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-04-2003, 05:49 AM   #14
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Wellard - I LIKE SALT - IN FACT I LOVE IT , but take the saltiest thing you have ever tasted, then add 5 kilos of salt and dip in in aniseed. Let it dry then roll it about in powdered salt for 10 hours. There you go - that is the secret recipe I would think. Sure - ignore my advice and go ahead - just let there be a digital camera on hand to capture your facial expressions please - just for posterity
Old 11-04-2003, 06:39 AM   #15
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Eel pie, I was told it was an xmas time kind of dish in colonial times tasted just like it sounds.Had balloot (sp) once some weren't too bad but the ones were the chick had devoloped to the point of small feathers and harder bones made me puke.And I can't stand cooked green beans,love them raw but there's something about the texture of them when cooked I can't stand.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 11-04-2003, 07:46 AM   #16
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:

Joreth those meals you describe are sooooo disgusting. Remind me never to go to iceland. BTW is it true you guys eat raw fish eyes as a treat?

[/QB]
nope never heard of that...
but in case some of you want to know more about the whole sheephead, sourshark thing (as if!) try this page...
http://www.nykrog.dk/tekst21.html

Both in Danish and English... feel free to puke your guts out on my behalf...
Old 11-04-2003, 07:59 AM   #17
Donut
Jack Burton

I never really got the taste for kipper yoghourt.

Liqourice yes - salted liquorice no!
Herring yes - Surstromming definitely no! Apparently it's against the law to open a can without informing your neighbours that you are going to!!

"YOU'RE HERRING A LAUGH!
Surstromming - the world's nastiest food...?

Swedes - lovely people, gave us ABBA, Britt Ekland and Sven Goran Eriksson, but heavens, they have strange tastes. You only need to visit Sweden at the moment to discover this.

From late August to the end of September, the surstromming season is in full flow. It would be comforting to tell you that surstromming is a lightly-flavoured potato and chicken stew, but, well, it isn't. It is, in fact, herring that has intentionally been allowed to rot so much that it is illegal to eat it in apartment blocks.

Hundreds of tons of herring is caught in April, and placed in a brine just salty enough to stop the fish from decomposing so completely as to no longer exist. The rancid fish flesh is then stored in tins through the summer, until it is deemed sufficiently rotten, when it is joyfully guzzled at surstromming parties.

The stench is, apparently, at its worst when the can is just opened - so much so, that it is generally opened underwater, so the noxious gases and filthy oozing fish-goo is contained.

Nevertheless the stench, likened by visitors to that which emerges from a dogs bottom, is all-pervasive. The dish itself is best swallowed rapidly, without chewing, while tins are only allowed to be kept unopened for 18-months, after which they are liable to explode. Hmmmm. And you thought Spam was bad
"
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-04-2003, 08:02 AM   #18
Donut
Jack Burton

You have to realise that the Swedes eat nothing else but herring, and in a country where the night lasts for 6 months there is lots of time to enjoy the taste.

Another satisfied customer:

"However, the prize for the most disgusting thing I've ever attempted to eat in my life must go to a Swedish dish called surstromming, translated into English as 'fermented herring.'

Now, surstromming is something that I often heard mentioned by friends, "Hey, Bob, have you eaten surstromming yet, hah hah hah?" I knew that it was fermented fish and that eating it would be a challenge but, having eaten all sorts of weird seafood when I lived in Spain, I was determined to give it a go.

One day, just around lunchtime, I was shopping in my local supermarket when I came across a tin of the stuff. "Well, now seems as good a time as any," I thought, and popped it into my shopping basket. When I got back home, I put it in the middle of the kitchen table and took a tin opener out of the drawer.

Now, what no one had told me was that fermenting builds up quite a lot of pressure inside the can and that you should always cover a surstromming can with a cloth before you open it. The other thing I didn't know is that surstromming is usually eaten outdoors.

I leaned over the tin and just at the moment I pierced it, there was a hissing sound and then a fountain of juice shot into the air and spattered the left lens of my glasses - thank goodness I was wearing glasses; I hate to think what it could have done to my eye. Then, the air in the room was filled with a stench that was reminiscent of a public toilet that hadn't been cleaned for 20 years. I picked up a piece of the fish on my fork, held my breath, screwed up my eyes and placed it into my mouth.

Can you imagine how a solidified lump of surgical spirit would taste? Well, that's the feeling I had as it burned into my tongue. I rushed over to the kitchen sink, spat it out, coughed a lot, and drank several glasses of water. Then I went back to the table, tied up the can in 3 plastic bags and dumped it in the garbage. Some of the juice had spilled onto the plastic tablecloth, so I wiped it up with a dishcloth, opened the window to get rid of the stench and then left the room.

When I went back into the kitchen 10 minutes later, I beheld the most nauseating thing I've ever seen in my whole life. The room was full of flies - about forty of them and they were just going absolutely crazy, charging all around the room at supersonic speed, bouncing off one wall, then bouncing off the opposite one. I put my handkerchief over my mouth (the fact that I didn't throw up was close to miraculous), ran over to the window and closed it. I then ran for some fly spray and just sprayed continuously for over a minute. Then I left the room and waited for about 10 minutes. Finally, I looked back in - all the flies were lying on the floor. I got the vacuum cleaner out of the room and swiftly disposed of the remains."
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-04-2003, 08:04 AM   #19
kroma
Dungeon Master

I still think Brussel Sprouts are the work of the devil, nasty horrible little things...

When I was younger, My mum gave me a Scotch Egg to eat (for those of you who dont know what a Scotch Egg is - its a whole boiled egg encased in sauseage meat and breadcrumbs). Anyway, I ate all the meat part, but couldnt stand the egg bit so I put the egg in a pot on the window ledge and put the lid on the pot.

Lets just say that there was a VERY nasty smell coming out of that pot about a week later, and my mum couldnt figure out where it was coming from! I think I had forgotton that I had even done it (I was young!), so I couldnt work out where the smell was coming from either! That was until my mum found it, and somehow worked out that it was once an egg... Boy was I in trouble then!

Its weird, cos I really like Scotch Egg's now... heheh

That Icelandic food sounds GROSS. Ive seen someone eat that sheep head dish on the tele. [img]graemlins/1passout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 08:56 AM   #20
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

"You have to realise that the Swedes eat nothing else but herring, and in a country where the night lasts for 6 months there is lots of time to enjoy the taste."

he he, I thought vodka killed our taste...

Well I easily admits that surströmming or sill at all is far away from what I prefer to eat at all.. So nah, there are lot of other things to eat then herring you mean Donut you [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Salt Licorice being one of the things...

But you forgot Moose! Now thats a heaven sent animal! mmmmm niiiiice.

Don´t eat the yellow snow