Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2003, 12:06 PM   #1
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

I know that isnt how you spell his name (Drizzt Do'urden?) but how do you pronounce it? I always pronounced it like *Drits* and when you meat him thats what it sounds like he says but in BG1in candlekeep the gaurds say, "I could take *Drizit* with both hands tied behind my back." Which one is it?
Old 04-05-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
Kaltia
Jack Burton

In the "Sojourn" the lil boy pronounces Drizzt "Dritsit"

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Well, in the book, Drizzit is wrong. I always pronounce it Dritst, with a sharp 's'. That's saying it how it's literally spellt. I always found it the best pronounciation...but it's really up to you. Like Drow I pronounce Dr-oh, with an 'oh' sound cos I think it sounds better, but in BG2 it is pronounced: Dr-ow, as in 'ouch'. *Shrug* just your preferance, I guess...
slicer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:28 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

"Drow rhymes with cow." -- several issues of Dragon Magazine in the 80s
I always spell Drizzt phoenetically as "Drisst," but I think the above-mentioned "Dritst" is also appropriate.

[ 04-05-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 04-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

I always pronounce Drizzt as I read it in Dutch; I just pronounce the 'z' as normal, so it sounds somewhat like "drizzit" but without the last 'i'.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 03:12 PM   #6
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah...shame that Salvatore's books broke down...I really liked his ones right up to Legacy of the Drow, but Spine of the World is just boring...but Salvatore originally wanted Wulfgar as the main character, but after writing a few lines, he changed it to Drizzt instead...which I prefer.
slicer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 03:17 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Jan Jansen says "Drisst," BTW.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:46 PM   #8
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by slicer15:
Yeah...shame that Salvatore's books broke down...I really liked his ones right up to Legacy of the Drow, but Spine of the World is just boring...but Salvatore originally wanted Wulfgar as the main character, but after writing a few lines, he changed it to Drizzt instead...which I prefer.
Well thats not entirely true...
Salvatore wrote the pilot on a new series for the company....but they thought that the main characters where a bit too normal so out of nothinness came Drizzt Do`Urden...he was thought up as a tantalizer for the company but quickly Salvatore became aware that he migh have struck gold!

And yes...Spine of the world IS the worst of the books so far...but take a look at "the Thousand Orcs" and UŽll know that Drizzt is back...and so is Salvatore!

The pronouncement [Drisst]is the right one...for me anyway...to call him Drizit is to follow the dark path!
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:34 PM   #9
Sythe
Ra

The Icewind Dale trilogies were Sa WEET what are you all talking bout. But my favorites is Homeland, Exile and the last book in the Icewind Dale trilogy.

Anyway I prounce it Drizzt just like Link. I suppose the lil dude in Sojurn said Drizzt's name like this "Drizziit" I am guessing the kid made a long i there. Tell if me if it does or does not make sense.

Cheerio Dudes

Sythe [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 10:42 AM   #10
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar'tanian:
(...)the gaurds say, "I could take *Drizit* with both hands tied behind my back."
Guards in BG1 do say it Drizzit, and it is wrong. All the other characters (IIRC) say it without i, and it is correct. And it is up to you if you spell it as a s, z, c or whatever.
For the word drow, I think it sounds more natural if pronounced as the word draw, and not as drawn (minus n).
Personal preference, that all.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote