Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

Smiley

What happens if Saddam does run and gets elected???

http://www.zaman.org/?bl=internation...40921&hn=12424

Saddam to Declare Candidacy for Iraqi Elections

Overthrown Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, who was arrested by US forces last December, reportedly plans to run as a candidate in the Iraqi elections scheduled for January 2005.

Saddam's lawyer Giovanni di Stefano told Denmark's B.T. newspaper that Saddam decided during one of their discussions that he would declare his candidacy for the elections.

Stefano said that there was no law that prevented Saddam from appearing on the ballot. He added that Saddam hopes to regain his presidency and palaces via the democratic process.

Contrary to the statements of Iraqi Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi, Stefano claims, "Saddam has no chance to be tried before the elections. Moreover, no international law prevents him from coming forward."

Saddam's lawyer defends that the ambiguity in Iraq will favor Saddam at the polls. Stefano remarked that a recent Gallup poll indicates that 42 percent of the Iraqi people want their former leader back.

Meanwhile, evaluating the conditions of Saddam in jail, Allawi said that Saddam had asked him for mercy.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:03 AM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Hard to do from behind bars. We gave him his chance, and he screwed it royally. Now it's time for the next tinpot dictator we will install. Get it?
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:30 AM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

It would be a hoot if he was re-elected, though.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
dplax
Jack Burton

On a more serious note if he is allowed to run and wins, then that would be a pretty bad blow to US politics in the region.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:53 AM   #5
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
It would be a hoot if he was re-elected, though.
I'm not sure that's how I would describe it. But I seriously doubt the Iraqi citizens have forgotten the brutality that marked Saddam's Regime. I'd say he stands a slightly better chance than Ralph Nader does Stateside - but that's about it.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

if he does run for president, i wonder how many Saddam-supporting regions will be declared too dangerous to hold the elections?
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
On a more serious note if he is allowed to run and wins, then that would be a pretty bad blow to US politics in the region.
Actually I think it would be more of an embarrassment to the current Bush regime than anything. As much as I love watching Rumsfeld humiliated, making a fool of himself, and knocked down a peg or two I would not want this.

[ 09-29-2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote