Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

My character is lvl 40 in SoA and currently has 8,647,816 exp. The game keeps track of this, regardless of whether or not I have the XP cap remover from the Ease of Use Mod installed or not.

Without the cap remover, my character record sheet says that I have 8,000,000 exp. (the cap for TOB) and says that the next level is 8,250,000. Naturally, when i gain experience, it continues to display 8 mil. so i dont gain levels, but the game still keeps track (i.e. 8647816)

I installed the remover so I would recieve my extra levels, but it didnt work.
When I load my game now, it displays that am lvl 40 and I have 8,647,816 exp., but says that the experience level needed for next level is -1. It is not possible to reach an experience of -1, so this must be a bug of some sort. When i uninstall the remover, it goes back to saying the exp needed is 8,250,000. I installed and uninstalled the remover several times to make sure it was not just a random mistake, but the results were consistent each time.

I then tried uninstalling the Ease of Use remover, and installed the Baldurdash TeamBG XP cap remover. This actually is only supposed to allow you to reach lvl 40 in SoA. I loaded my game, and it displayed what the EoU mod remover SHOULD have displayed:
Level 40
Experience: 8,547,816
Exp for lvl up: 8,250,000.
It then made the little chime sound, and said i could level up. I leveled up to level 41 (which is strange, the Baldurdash TeamBG remover is only supposed to allow level 40). It then went back to the previous problem. I was level 41, with 8,647,816 exp, and my exp required for next level was -1.

Is there any other Cap remover i can try? I have the Level 50 cap extender, but afraid that will most likely run into a similar problem once i reach level 50.
Any ideas or solutions you have, I would greatly appreciate them.
Lord Smite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

When it reports the next level up at -1XP, it has been designed to never allow such a level up. No cap remover will completely remove the cap and allow infinite leveling - the tables for wizard spells, THACO progression etc etc are all limited.

Ive never heard of the level 50 extender, but if it does what it sounds like, it will contain a number of .2da files which re-define the various tables. If you want to go further you could probably modify those .2da files yourself - just open them in notepad and take the usual precautions to keep control of filenames. Otherwise windows will make them into .2da.txt files. Also, to my knowledge there are no official figures for levels beyond 50 (or even 40 come to that), so youll have to extrapolate from the official tables.

To be honest I wouldnt bother. Level 40 is enough power to challenge a minor deity, the game will get dull if you go too much further.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:26 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
To be honest I wouldnt bother. Level 40 is enough power to challenge a minor deity, the game will get dull if you go too much further.
I agree...heck, I get bored at Lvl 30!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:14 PM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I agree with Andrewas, going higher than level 40 really isn't all that fun. But if you are totally sure that you want it, you can find a new XP-cap remover here. It will allow you to get to level 50, but no further.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:07 AM   #5
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

Wait a second here. This is my first solo game, and i assumed that when you soloed you went all the way. So basically now that im at lvl 40, i am as far as i need to be, and as far as any one else gets, to play through ToB?

It sounds reasonable enough. Not like i need to be any more powerful. Its just i thought you'd get much higher throughout ToB, and since an entire 6 member party reaches about lvl 38 or so by the end of it, a solo game would need your character to be much higher level.

So am i wrong? do all you other soloers just go to 40 or 50, and play through at that level?
Old 05-11-2003, 06:41 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Thats right, level 40. And after a couple time through its not challenging even at that level.

The extra power of a soloist comes from being able to pick the best gear and not having to spread it among 6 characters. Also only having one character is a tactical advantage in certain situations, and means you can pay much more attention and be less likely to die due to something you didnt notice.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:33 AM   #7
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

So you would suggest staying at 40 rather than going to 50. And is 40 sufficient to play through all of ToB on insane, but going any higher will make it too easy?
Old 05-11-2003, 01:40 PM   #8
Raistlin Majere
Ra

level 40 is indeed sufficent to solo through ToB on insane WITH the tactics mod installed. or so i hear, ive never finished soloing, too boring.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

cool