Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2002, 07:44 AM   #1
Davros
Takhisis Follower

And the question on everybody's lips is :

WHO CAN HOPE TO MATCH THE MIGHTY BRISBANE LIONS?
Old 03-28-2002, 08:29 AM   #2
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
And the question on everybody's lips is :

WHO CAN HOPE TO MATCH THE MIGHTY BRISBANE LIONS?
You may not be suprised to know that that particular question was never on my lips and I doubt if it was on the lips of any other IW member. I take this is not real football but one of the numerous bastardisations of the game that is known and loved by people the world over.

So what came first, the chicken or the egg? Were these 'sports' invented because your countries couldn't play football or did the invention of new 'sports' sidetrack you and cause you to fall behind the rest of the world in the one true football game?

BTW it's only 63 days, 23 hours, 12 minutes and 12 seconds to the start of World Cup 2002.

That's 6 seconds
now it's 11 minutes and 45 seconds
11 minutes and 13 seconds

This is ridiculous - I could be here all day!

BTW2 I have been instructed by a very nice Australian barman to follow the North Melbourne Kangaroos. I get the feeling I'm about to find out what it feels to be a Spurs supporter.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 03-28-2002, 09:18 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

BTW2 I have been instructed by a very nice Australian barman to follow the North Melbourne Kangaroos. I get the feeling I'm about to find out what it feels to be a Spurs supporter.[/QB]
The Kangaroos only last week lost there all time heroic number one player and captain - walked out of the club after having an..... umm, affair with one of the senior player's wives. The press in Melbourne have had a field day - what a steaming pile of Hotspur that has been .

Stick with Arsenal buddy - you're on a winner there at least.

And what a laugh, watching a pair of Queenslanders scoring 35 runs for an unbroken last wicket stand to snatch a tie from the Saffies in the 3rd ODI - left the local commentators eating there words in distaste .
Old 03-28-2002, 09:21 AM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

BTW2 I have been instructed by a very nice Australian barman to follow the North Melbourne Kangaroos. I get the feeling I'm about to find out what it feels to be a Spurs supporter.
The Kangaroos only last week lost there all time heroic number one player and captain - walked out of the club after having an..... umm, affair with one of the senior player's wives. The press in Melbourne have had a field day - what a steaming pile of Hotspur that has been .

Stick with Arsenal buddy - you're on a winner there at least.

And what a laugh, watching a pair of Queenslanders scoring 35 runs for an unbroken last wicket stand to snatch a tie from the Saffies in the 3rd ODI - left the local commentators eating there words in distaste .[/QB][/QUOTE]The affair made the front pages here as well. Mind you - she was a bit of a sort!

I took £5 off of the Melbourne barman on the NZ test series - he gave me the draw! How bizarre!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 03-28-2002, 09:24 AM   #5
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

I'm confused. Davros, why do you want a set of footy pajamas? And Donut, I thought that they played soccer at the World Cup???????
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 03-28-2002, 09:25 AM   #6
Redblueflare
Galvatron

What football season is starting already? I thought Baseball was coming up? J/K I know you're talking about soccer. You *are* talking about soccer right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
Old 03-28-2002, 09:34 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
What football season is starting already? I thought Baseball was coming up? J/K I know you're talking about soccer. You *are* talking about soccer right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
uhhhh, were talking the real thing here dude - AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL - time to crack a tinnie, the opening game of the season finished about an hour ago
Old 03-28-2002, 09:36 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
I'm confused. Davros, why do you want a set of footy pajamas? And Donut, I thought that they played soccer at the World Cup???????
Who said pyjama's (or pajama's ) - hey, I wonder if you can get any of those at the Brisbane Lions online shop - now that would be a sexy look (grin) - oh, and they play football at the world cup Galadria.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:41 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Fresh news from the website today

Another accolade has been bestowed on the Brisbane Lions on the eve of their first battle to defend their premiership crown.

The Lions were named the Team of the Year (National Competition) at the prestigious Australian Sports Awards in Canberra last night.

Lions chairman Graeme Downie accepted the award on behalf of the club in front of the cream of the nation’s athletes and administrators.

The 16-game winning streak that took the Lions all the way to the 2001 premiership, and the manner in which they conducted themselves afterwards, helped them lift the award for the first time.

Coach Leigh Matthews was also honoured by being nominated for the Coach of the Year award, which extended not just nationally, but internationally. He missed out on the gong to tennis coach Darren Cahill, who helped steer Lleyton Hewitt to the pinnacle of the world circuit.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:37 AM   #10
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
And Donut, I thought that they played soccer at the World Cup???????
That's a mistake often made by Americans Galadria. [img]smile.gif[/img] You see, we play a game which is almost totally played with the feet so we had the bright idea of calling it 'football'. If we invented a game where people throw and catch the ball we probably would have called it something else (like rugby or something. Of course there is that one little guy who sits on the sideline and occasionally kicks the ball.

Of course the Australians invented a game where great lumbering hulks with huge muscles and small brains chase a rugby ball around an oval pitch. In their defence though they don't call their national champions 'world champions'

The Irish have that game where people hit each other with lumps of wood but that's a totally different subject!