Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2002, 09:57 AM   #1
Davros
Takhisis Follower

LOL - we, the other half of the english speaking world always knew you guys and gals pronounce it ALUMINUM (ie without the i), but I didn't realise till today that you spell it that way too. I just got my annual report as an employee shareholder of ALCOA, and all through the report it refers to Aluminum - and I just checked some old American version text books and found the same thing.

Up till now, I thought you guys just massacred the pronunciation - I didn't realise that you actually have your own completely culturally independant version of the periodic table of elements - or should that be Perodic Table **grynzz**

[ 03-28-2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 03-28-2002, 10:18 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I was unaware that you spelled aluminum without an "i".

By the way...do you kow which one is it's original spelling?

[ 03-28-2002, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 03-28-2002, 10:23 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

The second i Larry - Aluminium - the one that you guys drop.

It makes me think of a bunch of people in white lab coats sitting around a bar arguing :

Aluminum
No - Aluminum
NO - ALUMINIUM
NO - ALUMINUM
Look, the periodic table is confusing enough as it is - where trying to get some rhyming conventions so that people find in easier to make sense of.
NO WAY, NO DICE - we gave in on Tellurium and Indium, and met you more than half way on Gallium - it's about time you started to see thangs our way.
Aluminium
ALUMINUM
Come on, it makes more sense
(Best Cartman voice)
Screw you guys - I'm going home
Splitter
Splitter
SPLITTER
SPLITTER
Did you say Jehovah... oh shit I said it **SPLAT**.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:59 AM   #4
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Lol its almost like color and colour [img]tongue.gif[/img] i wonder how many other different spellings there are, and by the way i think its easer to pronounce it aluminium myself
Old 03-28-2002, 01:15 PM   #5
fable
Quintesson

Wars have been fought over less. I can just see it now...Saratoga, New York, 1777:

Gates: Please, General. Keep your sword. A gallant gentleman and a fine officer should never been without his sword.

Bourgoyne: I thank you, Sir. -But I must tell you, the word is ALUMINIUM.

Gates: It is not, Sir. It is ALUMINUM.

Bourgoyne: ALUMINIUM.

Gates: ALUMINUM.

Bourgoyne: Very well, Sir! (raises his sword so it glistens in the sunlight, a very pretty effect) We fight on!

...and of course, the British win, reversing the tide of battle, and forcing the American Colonies to stay within the British Empire. It's funny what the smallest things can lead to.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
Ted Bigfoot
Dungeon Master

Yes, I have to verify, the UK English spelling is ALUMINIUM. Aluminum does not exist in the Oxford language dictionary.

It just goes to show, only UK residence speak English. You all have your native tongues, American, Australian etc...

No offence ... I love all you wonderfull people.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

ALUMINUM! HA!

HEHE.. I haven't ever seen it any other way until you first told me about it, Davros!

Cloudy
Old 03-28-2002, 01:47 PM   #8
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

ALUMINUM! HA!

HEHE.. I haven't ever seen it any other way until you first told me about it, Davros!

Cloudy
What she said. [img]smile.gif[/img] I didn't know Aluminum was spelled differently in other places. And teachers have always said the periodic table was the same worldwide. [img]tongue.gif[/img] What's the symbol again? Al?

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
Old 03-28-2002, 07:12 PM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

ALUMINUM! HA!

Cloudy
What she said. [img]smile.gif[/img] I didn't know Aluminum was spelled differently in other places. And teachers have always said the periodic table was the same worldwide. [img]tongue.gif[/img] What's the symbol again? Al?

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
[/QUOTE]Yeah, its Al. *goes looking for science text* and its spelt with 2 'i's according to 2 dictionaries, and a science text book...
Old 03-28-2002, 07:19 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Yeah, its Al. *goes looking for science text* and its spelt with 2 'i's according to 2 dictionaries, and a science text book... [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes, but the Americans have always had a thing for massacaring the english language. Trust me, im a programmer and often have to switch colour for color and crap like that. And whats this thing they have with z`s?

Anyhow, life goes on and nobodies been killed over it yet.