Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

running through KotOR for the 2nd time, dark side scoundrel, pretty weak though - STR 10, dex 14, CON 11 - trying to boost cha, wis, and int for this PC...

Anyway I read that you might try delaying leveling up, in order to save the levels for AFTER you become a Jedi, and that one can get past Bendan Starkiller even at level 5. Well I'm at level 5 and I can't even get past Marl. Is there some good tactic to use against Marl? I can't seem to run away from him, and I don't think I have enough shields to deal with him AND Bendan... Now I'm wondering if this PC is simply too wimpy to do it and should just pass on that bounty quest.

BTW - is it possible to NOT be a Jedi? And still finish the game? I might like to try that route if possible...
Mahlennacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
the mighty stamar

Um...

No I dont recall being able to kill bendan at level 5 at all. I would say it must be mines though if someone pulled that off.

Is it possible? No I dont think so because its story mandated.
You can give it a shot, you will have to get to level 20 before going to the jedi counsel planet to get to the next chapter in the game I would suppose. Im not sure the experience points exist but if you can pull it off let us know what happens.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I manage to bag him with my level 5 scout. For the sake of being a better arena fighter, I chose the duelling feat, melee weapons and flurry.

If you are too weak, please do not hesitate to use grenades and med packs because honestly at level 5, you are not much of a fighter without these helpful "gadgets". With a good "roll" some of the poison grenades should weaken Bendak enough for you to whack him.

Anyway, Playing as a scoundrel does make you weaker than the other classes because of the low BAB (Base Attack Bonus) and lower hot points.

[edited]
You are playing KoTOR and do not wish to be a Jedi? Sorry, that is not an option. This is because most people (99.99%) would prefer the other way around, to be a kick-ass Jedi at the earliest levels as possible. But you can be a dark jedi and take a different path in Korriban and StarForge.

And also take note that you will not be allowed to leave Dantooine before talking to the Jedi Counsel and becoming a Jedi. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to level up to the max (level 20) by killing Kath Hounds alone, unless you wish to kill thousands of them. Kind of pointless if you ask me.

[ 07-31-2004, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 07-31-2004, 01:44 AM   #4
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar:
Is it possible [to play as a non-Jedi]? No I don't think so because its story mandated.
Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:

...And also take note that you will not be allowed to leave Dantooine before talking to the Jedi Counsel and becoming a Jedi.
Ah, understood. True, being a Jedi is the point of the game, I just was considering some goofy variations for kicks. You see, I remember the first time 'round in Dantooine, I had options to make some wise-guy remarks and I wondered if you got insubordinate enough or messed up the tests enough, you would disqualify yourself from becoming a Jedi. Also I was wondering why they put in the manual full charts for 20th-level scoundrels/scouts/soldiers... I guess that really was data for the NPCs, not the PC.

Re killing Bendan @ 5th level - well I still can't get past Marl so I'm abandoning that quest, and my PC this game is such a Dark scum, I suppose he wouldn't bother with strenuous exercises like that anyway. I may save that for my Light buff soldier next time, since I really did like playing Light the first time

Thanks
*goes back to bickering with Bastila in her underwear*
Mahlennacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:51 AM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I have never played as a scoundrel but playing as a soldier or scout at level 5, Bendak or Marl isn't exactly a piece of cake either. I waited for the very last possible moment to finish the quest because I need the upgrade for the viroblade and accumulate enough med packs and grenades.

If you want to give it a try, remember to replenish your health as soon as it drops below 60% because the higher level duelists can take you out with a critical hit.

Oh, I finished the game at least 5 times with different class combinations except for the alignment. I don't know why, I just never bring myself to play as "the bad guy" even though it is just "a game". Go figure.

[ 07-31-2004, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 08-01-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
OB1 Kenobi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If your playing as a dark side character your better off finishing the Dueling Arena quest because killing Bendak not only drives your further towards the dark side but you can also get the money from the Hutt in the lower city for Bendaks bounty.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yeah, well, there's a way to get 100% dark side without ever leaving the Ebon Hawk once you go jedi.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

Oh, and that would be?