Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2002, 05:13 AM   #1
{CA}Matrix{TG}
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have recently started playing legit duels over on gamespy my character is a Kensai\Mage he has been duel classed in such away as to have 1 level 8 spell anyway i was doing fine till i came across a barbarian with an ac of -21 all -2 saves and 25% magic resistance i wondered does any one know good tactics to overcome a maxed out barbarian.

I see dead people, well kill them then.
{CA}Matrix{TG} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:12 AM   #2
Sojourner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Try casting Stoneskin + Spirit Armor + Improved Haste on your Kensai. Cast Lower Resistance + Greater Malison + Spook on the barbarian, activate kai and whack the guy.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:24 AM   #3
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

An AC of - 21 ? This is exactly why i hate online playing (or multiplayer for that matter). You always get people like these who have hacked characters and they go around and kill everybody in sight. Not to much fun, me thinks. If it isn't a hacked character and he doesn't have some clerical backup, i'm very interested to see how he got this AC.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:36 AM   #4
{CA}Matrix{TG}
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Im not sure as to his total acumulation of this ac count but i know for a fact he was legit and from what i remember.

Shield of sentinel +5
Tracies armour -2 0r -4 cant remember
2 rings of gaxx totalling +4
cloak of protection +2
helmut of balduran +1

not sure what else

but does anyone know good spells to counter a strong fighter like this or someway of actually making it easier to hit them
thanks for the reply.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:28 AM   #5
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

I hate cheaters. People who abuse Shadowkeeper have lost the plot of the game. You are supposed to have fun. Spoiling it for yourself and others doesnt count as having fun.

Ne who. Lower the guys resistance. and cast death spells at him. Ones which negate saves. so his reaaly good save vs death spells doesnt work. tada.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:28 AM   #6
{CA}Matrix{TG}
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Sojourner:
Try casting Stoneskin + Spirit Armor + Improved Haste on your Kensai. Cast Lower Resistance + Greater Malison + Spook on the barbarian, activate kai and whack the guy.

These tactics are exactly what ive been doing until this happens

ive cast my protection improved invisibility+stoneskin+protection form magical weapons dont need spirit armour my ac is -7 then i cast lower resistance but when icast greater malsison i cant seem to effect my opponent cause hes a party member and i am clicking the spell directly on him.
but ive reviewed the situation and think maybe i should have leveled up my kensai more for a better THACO plus having protection from weapons+protection from magical energy+invisability potions in my quick slots should really help matters.

here are some of my own tactics as employed by my lvl 17 necromancer
against spell caster as soon as starts....

cast spell trap with staff of magi
improved invisibilty
spell deflection (especially good if i was fighting beholder)
lower resistance
pierce shield
finger of death
if dosent work then
melf meteors (does double damage with tensors transformation)
improved haste
start firing meteors casting magic missile at same time
at some point in this you may have had to detect invisibilty using a corresponding spell
recast spell protections at this point (does it ever end)
use remaining lower resistance or whatever and fire of all disentagrate petrification etc ifs hes not dead use summons 1 by 1
then tensors transformation and use the life stealer dagger +4 which also level drains and you should be home free hopefully of course theres an infinate number of things which could go wrong but this is the general idea.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:13 AM   #7
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

quote:
Originally posted by {CA}Matrix{TG}:
Im not sure as to his total acumulation of this ac count but i know for a fact he was legit and from what i remember.

Shield of sentinel +5
cloak of protection +2
helmut of balduran +1

not sure what else

but does anyone know good spells to counter a strong fighter like this or someway of actually making it easier to hit them
thanks for the reply.

See, their you go. It isn't legit. You aren't supposed to have two rings of Gaxx. I know you CAN have two but you aren't supposed to. Even getting them in the 'legit' way is cheating in my book.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:23 AM   #8
Suzaku
Drow Warrior

Wasn't there some Platemail +5 (Cursed) you get from Ribald's special items after you get out from the underdark? Cheat and never used it, but lower charisma means nothing to a barbarian (I think...).

Never tried this, but friend suggested Greater Malison and Black Blade of Disaster.

Try using several gates or summon fiends as well. Buy you time to get nastier spells out!
Old 02-06-2002, 11:36 AM   #9
daan
Silver Dragon

Greater Malison can only affect enemies, so if he's a party member, as you say, that wont work. This makes it a bit tricky, since you can save vs. spell against spook. Basically, its not a fair fight, since greater Malison is a very important spell, the base of all save-required follow-up spells.

So lets forget spells which require saves.
Lets talk damage [img]smile.gif[/img]
-a spell sequencer with 3 flame arrows or skulltraps deliver substantial damage. Then some Abi dalzim-horid wiltitings when required. And after that try Power word: Kill (lvl 9)
(no save, has to be below 60 hp at the time)
Another possibility is Power word : Stun (only 7th lvl), he'll have to be below 90 hp for this.

A great spell is power word : Blind (lvl 8), which blinds the opponent for a few rounds, without save.

Also, an alternative way of useing spell trigger (lvl 8)is casting it on yourself, two nice combinations are :
Defensive: Fire shield (red), fireshield (blue), mislead
try to combine this with stoneskin. Stoneskin lasts longer
in combination with mirror image.

Offensive: 3 Sunfires !! , he's gonna regret coming close to you,
when you're suddenly dealing 3 x 15d6 = 45d6 = 45 - 270 hp
damage.

P.s. Protection from magic weapons is a must
hope it helped a bit [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2002, 06:13 PM   #10
Nifft the Nimble

quote:
Originally posted by {CA}Matrix{TG}:

cloak of protection +2

This is double illegal. ONE Ring of Gaxx per adventure, and NO WAY you can wear an item of protection with magic armor. This barbarian is cheating his butt off!

Here's what I'd do to kill someone like him, though:

Timestop will really be your friend. You can hit as often as you can strike, and you'll always hit. Lower Resistance, Black Blade of Disaster, Finger of Death, Disintegrate, Polymorph Other, even lowly Chromatic Orb ... any insta-death spell is good.

Power Word: Blind is great against enemies, but if you're in the same party, he'll be able to see whatever you see, including where you are. Symbol: Death, Symbol: Stun and Symbol: Fear might be better. Resist Lightning / Spell Trap + Lightning Bolt could work, if you're in a narrow hallway.

Don't bother with Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Chain Lightning or other party-friendly spells (includes, unfortunately, Greater Malison). Strength might be useful: it'll cut his strength down to 18/50 if it's 19 or above.

Sunfire is a great spell. Skull Trap is even better if you're protected from its effects (by a Minor Globe of Invulnerability, for example) -- up to 20d6! Put three of those in a Sequencer and three more in a Trigger, and then one in a Contingency and another three in a Chain Contingency

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote