Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #11
General Nosaj
Zhentarim Guard

Don't forget TL you can only get out of the HOW when you find the barbarian priest what's his name. Burial isle is tricky and there isn't a quick way to do it so just shout if you need help.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #12
NobleNick
Quintesson

TL,

Yes, we have all been elsewhere, lately, it seems. My excuse is that I was uh, er.. testing out our new Playstation2 to make sure it was good enough for my kids...

(Possible slight spoiler, below...)
~
~
~
~

Malavon is tough. If you are up for a possible slight spoiler, I will share a few tips:

I got tired of trying to Chase him as he DDed about, and soon found out that he always ends his DD spree by secluding himself in a small alcove in the SE corner and sending out minions. SO... I spend the first part of the fight whacking his helpers (and whacking him with a fighter or two, when he DDs in too close) and staying out of the way of his nastiest spells as he DDs about the place. Finally, he settled down to staying put in the SE corner and sending out his goons. I used the short respite to heal up; and kept most of the party back to slice and dice the minions that now straggle out from Malavon's alcove. I then moved some invisible/shadowed characters to within sight of Malavon. Then I sent in a few conjured monsters to get his attention; and my invisible characters launched their surprise attack using ranged attacks/spells on him. IIRC, he ended up toasting himself to death with an area effect spell that was meant to take care of my conjured melee monsters: sort of anti-climatic...

Hope this helps.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM   #13
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by TL:
Well, I took a break, (as it seems everyone else @ this forum is doing) and played BG2 for awhile. Now I'm heading for Malavon, then the Temple and on to East haven! Looks like there's a few good battles ahead of me! Iron Golems are not my favorite types, in either game! I know this is an old game, so it's not played much anymore, but remember us newbies, that like to hear your 2 cents on any area that we're going into!I still have trouble splitting my party up and attaking 2 enemies at once, but that will be my tactic against Malavon. Wish me luck!
Ah yes, my favorite battle in the game (or one of them ). Before even doing anything,cast all buffer spells (anything that will protect you, and don't be afraid to use any potions) , summon a whole bunch of stuff (elementals, undead, ANYTHING) and send them into the room where you can't see, also cast web and entangle in where you can't see, then just move a char. up so you can chat with malavon, then those umber hulks will have to deal with your summoned friends (during this time move any char. up who can cast spells and put them to use), take those fighters of yours and take down those golems as soon as possible. Now that all that is done, you have the fake malavon to rid yourself of, keep your mage (s) casting magic missile on him to disrupt any of his spells and take him down with fighters if you can. Now that the fake one is dead, the real one pops up, don't bother with him till he goes into his little bedroom, he'll start casting malavon's rage over and over again, wait till those spells are depleted then TAKE HIM DOWN.

And that's all there is to it
Old 05-29-2004, 11:04 PM   #14
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Spoilers
To take out his similcrum (or however it's spelt) use sneak attack. Just hope the umberhulks don't confuse you before you can get out. Hurl a couple of fireballs or such like through the entrance to his thrown room to take out the umberhulks as they come to you. Take down the golems in h2h (a bit of a pain in the arse but do-able). Take down the real Malavon with arrows to avoid 'Malavon's angry spirograph'. The arrows should disrupt his most annoying spell - finger of death, since it takes a while to cast and... bobs your auntie. (check his room for traps. You don't want to do all this and get blown up for being careless).