Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 02:53 PM   #1
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

I love the wizard slayer's premise, but we can all agree that the kit is crap.

What I want to do is make a kit that is for combatting magic, but does not abhor magical equipment. I even thought about giving priest spells as innate abilities, or something. I dunno, what do you guys think? If I could, I would replace the WS kit, but I can't. So it's okay to suggest something like a chance of spell failure on every hit, or MR gained every level.
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Trau:
If I could, I would replace the WS kit, but I can't.
Actually, you certainly can replace existing kits--just as easily as making new ones. That's the premise behind the Rebalanced Wizard Slayer, which is a good idea in search of a coder (I would, but my damn computer won't let me install Near Infinity). If you are a coder in search of an idea, let me know & I'll send you the specifics.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

I know it's possible to replace it, but it is more complicated. I am still willing to hear your suggestions, though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:10 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

/me raises an eyebrow.

You do not need to install NearInfinity. NearInfinity is a .jar file. You just need a Java Virtual Machine to use it. JVMs, SDKs, etc... are all freeware on the Internet.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
untouchable
Manshoon

I always thought that the fallen cavalier/iquistor/undead hunter should be a kitted ( is that a word?) to make the roleplaying possibilities better. I have a few ideas, but nothing concreate yet. Fallen Rangers should also be kitted some how.

If you want to work with the WS, there are plenty of good ideas around. However, the BG2 Refinements Mod will also change some of the clases so you might want to get in touch with Litiz about that mod and how you might be able to help out.

Any way, magic resistance is a must for a wizard slayer, probably 3% per level starting at level 13. They should not be able to use weapons with arcane special effects(could be a pain to code). A dispell magic on hit is too much, but having the inquistor dipel magic as a special ability would be okay, just not as many as the iquistor. Perhaps a weapond coating (like assasins poison) that causes a 25% chance of spell failure for 10 sec, and has a 30% chance of causing the next spell succesfully cast to be a wild surge (save at -2 to have spell fire normally). In TOB you could make HLA's like anti magic shell and so forth.

Hope this helps, a refurbished balance WS would be a lot of fun to play.

EDIT> clarified a few things

[ 12-06-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: untouchable ]
Old 12-06-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
Ares

I like the idea about having a weapon cause a mage to have a chance of casting a wildsurge on their next cast..would make the game have a little more randomness to it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

REBALANCED WIZARD SLAYER
(Design by SixOfSpades, Dundee Slaytern, & Alson)

ADVANTAGES:
  • 2% Magic Resistance per level
  • 1% Magic Damage Resistance per level
  • Able to use the Thieving skill of Detect Illusions: 2% per level, plus a modifier based on the WS's INT score
  • 5% chance of causing Spell Failure on each ranged or melee hit (cumulative), with an additional 5% every 10 levels (10% at 10, 15% at 20, 20% at 30, 25% at 40, 30% at 50)
  • Able to cast Anti-Magic Zone once per day at Level 14, with 1 more at every 10 levels thereafter
  • At Level 5, -1 bonuses to Save vs. Spells and Save vs. Wands, with an additional -1 bonus every 10 levels thereafter
DISADVANTAGES:
  • Cannot exceed Mastery (***) in any weapon
  • Gains 1 weapon proficiency point per 4 levels, instead of 1 per 3 levels
  • +1 THAC0 penalty at Levels 9, 13, 15, and 21
  • Cannot use magical Amulets, Cloaks, Gauntlets, Rings, Belts, or Boots, UNLESS those particular items are Anti-Spellcaster in nature
  • Cannot use ANY magical items that cast spells, UNLESS those spells are Anti-Spellcaster in nature
================================================== =====================

The list of items that we want to open up to Wizard Slayers:
Belt of Inertial Barrier
Cloak of Balduran
Cloak of Mirroring
Rod of Absorbtion
Horn of Silence
Amulet of 5% Magic Resistance
Amulet of Spell Warding
Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance
Black Spider Figurine (Kitthix)
Potion of Invulnerability
Potion of Magic Blocking
Potion of Magic Protection
Potion of Magic Shielding
Ring of Spell Turning
Wand of Spell Striking
Horn of Blasting
Potion of Regeneration
Horn of Kazgaroth
Glasses of Identification?
Claw of Kazgaroth
Cloak of Displacement
Book of Infinite Spells (Spell Turning)
Book of Infinite Spells (True Seeing)
Brine Potion
Potion of Clarity
Potion of Freedom
Potion of Stone Form
Ring of Free Action
Ring of Gaxx
Carsomyr* (Must be Lawful Good to use)
Purifier* (Ditto)
Red/Green/Blue/Purple Globes?
Horns of Valhalla

The list of items that we want to CLOSE OFF to Wizard Slayers:
White Dragon Scale
Vhailor's Helm
Helm of Brilliance
Drow Piwafwi Cloak
There may be more, of course. For instance, it may be decided that Ilbratha should be forbidden, since it provides defense in combat; I just happen to believe it's more useful against spellcasters (deflects Fireballs, and things like that).

[ 12-08-2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 12-08-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Why not give the Wizard Slayer the ability to cast Miscast Magic on his weapons, sort of like the Assassin's Poison Weapons ability, against a save vs. spells?
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote