Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2004, 02:13 AM   #1
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

I put a winterwolf hat on my Sorc, +1 chr. I put on winter wolf boots, nothing.
I take off the hat, +1 chr.
I should be getting +4 here. When that tip then comes up saying best to use one big boost, does that actually apply to equipment mods as well?
Thatd explain alot then.
TheGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Yep AFAIK in 3rd edition rules, spells/items that boost a stat don't stack, only the highest bonus shows up.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

thats somewhat lame. Explains alot though.
My rogue has some armor -2 chr, so I end up at 8, I put on a winterwolf hat, now its 11. What a scam.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
There was another thread about this same topic recently. I don't think its lame, but rather a logical attempt within the rules to balance out and lessen the over-powered cheese that comes with characters with 18+ stats. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Besides, you get to raise a statistic of your choice every four levels. This is something which wasn't available in second ed rules. I think subtle attempts to reduce the likelihood of powergaming are welcome, at least to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

What I didn't like about the character creation in Icewind Dale II was the inability to roll and reroll statistics - the assignment of stats by the player takes away that random element and anxious 'reroll' factor which I came to love in the early AD&D games.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

Yes, nothing beat rerolling for awhile.
Or when we used to play for real, wed roll 4d6 6 times/each stat, reroll any ones, drop the lowest die. Then sometimes adding up all the points, then distribute them. And we never had any stats under 10 usually for RP purposes. worked decent.
I liked the idea behind the superhero game, if you rolled an 18, you can roll another d6 for your stat, if its 6, roll another. So you could have stats like Str 14, Dex 11, Con 43, Wis 9, Int 15, Chr 10.
Just one silly high stat to explain your mutation.