Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 12:39 AM   #1
Larrack
Welcomed New User

I'm a newbie at this game, and I have a few questions that the manual doesn't seem to cover.

First, if I had a 10th level cleric / 10th level wizard, and I cast a cleric spell with a duration of 1 turn per level, would it last for 10 or 20 turns?

Second, is it different for overcoming magic resistance? Does a 20th level cleric beat spell resistance better than a 10th level cleric / 10th level mage?
Larrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:21 AM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

The only caster level that counts is the caster level in that particular class, so your character would have his spells last for 10 turns and have a tougher time to beat spell resistance. The advantage, however, is that your character can cast far more spells in total than a 20 level cleric and has the use of spells from both classes, which might aid each other.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

As for resistance, only the drow I believe have the official magic resistance. If you mean saving throws, I dont recall how clerics and wizards progress, but I think their similar, so spell defense-wise i think theyd be the same.
Only reason I wouldnt go for it too much is that you wont get the highest lvl spells. *shrug* But youll have a hell of alot of spells to sling if Im not mistaken.
TheGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 PM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
There are feats and spells which assist in penetrating magic resistance, so the question of which has the higher chance of beating spell resistance would be relative to the abilities of the charactesr. Spells like Greator Malison, and the feat "Spell Penetration" should make a difference.

I'm only guessing, but the multi powers of the cleric/mage depending on wis/int scores of course, is more likely to have greater abilities in this way since it gets access to both schools - even if I'd fancy the 20th level cleric in an all out melee.

But yes, as a personal choice to restrain myself from powergaming too much, I'm avoiding multi-classing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-26-2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote