Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2002, 08:01 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Any favourite British comedy shows amongst the Ironworks membership? I like to see what shows made here get airtime in other countries, and how they are enjoyed - what do you like about them?

I know Monty Python is a firm favourite around the world, but what about shows such as?:

Fawlty Towers
Red Dwarf
Blackadder

Any others that make it onto TV elsewhere in the world?
Old 01-29-2002, 09:01 AM   #2
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Epona:

I know Monty Python is a firm favourite around the world, but what about shows such as?:

Fawlty Towers
Red Dwarf
Blackadder

Any others that make it onto TV elsewhere in the world?
<hr></blockquote>

You've just named my four favorite comedy shows in the world [img]smile.gif[/img]
Congratulations!
But Blackadder is probarbly the best, with Monthy Python close after..
And then there's "trigger happy TV", I just LOVE that one

*HELLO!!! YES, I'VE GOT HANDS-FREE!! HANDS-FREE!! YES IT'S BRILLIANT, I CAN RIDE MY SCOOTER AT THE SAME TIME!*

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Sir ReGiN ]</p>
Old 01-29-2002, 09:27 AM   #3
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Oh yes--don't know Red Dwarf, but the others are *hilarious*! Unless they're on cable or satellite, we yanks don't get the pleasure of British comedy often--but some do make it across the pond.

Are you Being Served
AbFab
Keeping up Appearances
..........are the ones that come to mind immediately, but I know PBS carries a couple more I never really enjoyed. (actually of the three mentioned, Appearances is the only one still on PBS here--the others are on satellite)

It's a shame, but one reason may be that a lot of Americans simply do not understand British humor which can, after all, be quite different than ours. I love it, tho! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
Gray Mage
Banned User

I have found this great station..... I just got a satelite dish, and I found this little station called BBC America. Anyone heard of it, Well a couple of nights a week they play the Flying Cricus, that ha to be one of the funniest things on TV.

What other do you guys recommend? There was one show I've seen a couple of times, can't remember the name tho, that had me laughing quite hard.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? It's great!!
Gray Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I don't think Red Dwarf has ever been aired here in the Netherlands. Seen some eps of it on the BBC though, and loved it, like practically every other British comedy show I've watched.

Others that I've seen on Dutch tv are (in no particular order):
Absolutely Fabulous
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Keeping Up Appearances
'Allo 'Allo
Blackadder
Fawlty Towers
the one about that MI-6 guy, what's it called again? Ah, didn't particularly enjoy that one anyway.

Fawlty Towers and Keeping Up Appearances seem to be in constant re-run on some Dutch tv-station.

BTW, how are those new episodes of AbFab? Haven't seen any of those yet.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:18 PM   #6
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:
Oh yes--don't know Red Dwarf, but the others are *hilarious*! Unless they're on cable or satellite, we yanks don't get the pleasure of British comedy often--but some do make it across the pond.

Are you Being Served
AbFab
Keeping up Appearances
..........are the ones that come to mind immediately, but I know PBS carries a couple more I never really enjoyed. (actually of the three mentioned, Appearances is the only one still on PBS here--the others are on satellite)

It's a shame, but one reason may be that a lot of Americans simply do not understand British humor which can, after all, be quite different than ours. I love it, tho! [img]smile.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

That's the thing about British humour, we've been working at sarcasm and such for so long our humour seems to be too subtle for may americans.
However, there are of course the exceptions, like I'm guessing you understand British, and there are some americans I find just as humourous, such as Scott Adams.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:36 PM   #7
Jorath Calar
Harper

Falwty towers, Black Adder, Mr. Bean, Monty Python. I also liked Ali G
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:55 PM   #8
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

You have a great taste in comedy Like Sir Regin You have just named my 4 favourites although red dwarf take the lead by far.

As for red dwarf there are actually 2 american only episodes they were made for an American Audience so the characters have all been changed (Apart from Kryten who is in them). If anyone knows anything about these could you please post in this thread as I REALLY WANT TO SEE THEM!!!!!!!

P.S You missed off Only Fools and Horses

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Daniel ]</p>
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:28 PM   #9
catzenpewters
Manshoon

I LOVE British humour - it cracks me right up. I've seen all four of those shows, and also Who's Line Is It Anyway. I think the British version is much better than the American version.
catzenpewters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:30 PM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

British humor is about as subtle as a cricket bat upside the head.

My favorites are/were:
Monty Python of course.
Mr Bean
The Young Ones
and last but certainly not least: The Benny Hill Show

Now excuse me while some scantily clad women chase me off stage left.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote