Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
Lignoba
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am currently Soloing a Dwarf Kensai With 18/46 STR, 17 DEX, 19 CON, 14 INT, 14 WIS and 4 CHA (18 with ring of human influence). I am level 11 right now and I was just wondering what would be the best time to go after WAtcher's Keep?
Lignoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:11 AM   #2
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Generally, as a solo warrior it is particularly important to equip yourself properly first, and then to a lesser extent worry about which Level you’re at. Put together a ‘shopping list’ of items to go after or purchase.

I would suggest that you deal with your capacity to protect yourself from Level Drain as a high-ish priority. The other factors are to protect yourself from the numerous mind-based attacks. The capacity to summon, such as found in the Elemental staves, will probably prove to be another obstacle-breaker. The capacity to disappear from a fight that might happen to be going against you will probably be another matter to consider.

The first two levels of Watcher’s Keep are fairly ‘do-able’ at an early stage of the game if your solo warrior is well equipped. For me, at least, Level 3 of Watcher’s Keep is generally left until Chapter 6 where (normally) your Higher Level Abilities are kicking in. There are some traps on the first two Levels of the Keep, so the capacity to cast Mirror Image will be handy.

As for "the best time" I guess it's personal, although for me; I don't consider going into the Keep until Chapter 6. Unless you particularly want an item of equipment that resides on one of the top two levels, I wouldn't suggest that there's any great need to charge in earlier than Chapter 6.
Cam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i'd say wait a bit - as others have said a lot of a kensai's survival is about equipment and your level doesn't tell us whether you have some useful kit

with some parties there's a couple of bits of stuff on the top level that it's worth making a terrified dash in and out to grab once you know where they are but i wouldnt' bother with a kensai . . .

roleplay it - go and have a look - talk to the people there (maybe check out the shop on the roof ) - venture inside - see if you survive and decide for yourself
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:56 AM   #4
Lignoba
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So yea, i went fromlevel 11 to 16 in 4 hours. Right now i have the Frostreaver +3 Axe and the other +3 axe that does fire damage... cant think of the name right now. RoP+2 Clok of the Sewers, Pale Silver? Ioun Stone (regen), Amul of magic resistance and the girdle of???? (-4 ac to piercig damage.

Now the question is, where are the boots of speed? Once i get them I am going after watchers keep.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:56 AM   #5
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Hmmm ... how not to get too spoilerish?

The fastest route to a Pair of Boots of Speed is by investigating the Temple Sewers further, where you will prospectively earn yourself a slave. He will lead you to a colleague who will open a door towards a challenge that is out of this world. You will be helped if you can take a deep gulp and maintain your clarity.

b.t.w. Have you secured some Mimic's Blood yet for Jermien?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
Lignoba
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes i have gotten the Mimics blood...

****SPOILERS*****

and I couldnt do the beholders eye quest the way that gives you the most experience, every time i went into the cult entrance they freaked otu at me and attacked, so I jsut went toe to toe with the Unseeing Eye, I am surprised that he didnt cast a single offensive spell before I killed him.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #7
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Lignoba:
every time i went into the cult entrance they freaked otu at me and attacked
Which "cult entrance" do you mean? Both the Temple of Amaunator and the central area of the pit (past the Ghoul Town) where there are 'cultists' have hostile creatures. Also, after dealing with the Unseeing Eye, there are other cultists that turn hostile.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
Lignoba
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No, the area after the sewers. When you take an emmediate right and go through and deal with the vampiric mists and stuff. Gaal immediately attacked me and I had to kill the unseeing eye then.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Oh ... how weird ... did you disable any traps around there first? Perhaps that might have set him off?

(Sorry - I've never had that problem).
Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #10
Lignoba
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No... I have a kensai, thus no disabling of traps capabilities. I just have to man up and walk through them.