Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
SHO-VA
Elite Waterdeep Guard

here it is boys and girls, the stupidity of atari is now complete.

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...&forum=95&sp=0

the patch/official content team for NWN has officialy been disbanded to now support NWN2.

I wonder how bad the fallout from this will be for all of us.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Letter

Did you read through this thread?
I mean the entire thread?
All the way to the part where it got locked off?
I am on page three (of nine) and this is already reminding me of a move from the television show InuYasha: "Backlash Wave."

One person's statement did ring true with me, about how commercial software providers lock off updates after a few years to ensure those self-same people who bought their product before will HAVE to upgrade to the "latest and greatest" editions of their software. One of the differences being, however, most commercial software is engineered to be backwards compatible. NWN 2 is not by any means compatible with the original NWN.

This looks like it is going to be ugly, ladies and gentlemen. Forget your popcorn, get on the raincoats. And yes, just in case you thought the blood and gore was going to stop on the thread previously shown, here is Another Locked Thread...

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewto...82695&forum=42

and to bother your brains just that little bit more...

http://vnboards.ign.com/forums/b1/96956379

[ 05-27-2006, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Very Ugly indeed. Hmmmmm it seems Atari pulled the plug on the premium mods for a very good reason.

Note: NWN2 has had rideable horses scratched off its list for a while now. Now the DLA team were about to release a premium mod through Bioware for NWN1 that had....... guess what.... rideable horses.

Atari are saving face here and don't want the older product to have something that the newer product doesn't have.

BTW the thread continues over on the NWN1 board.

Also the DLA team who have been working on the premium mods have some more info below

http://www.dladventures.com/

[ 05-27-2006, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 05-28-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think I've just spent an hour reading through most of the posts on all the links Moze provided, then had to refresh this page to see he'd linked to em. I'm kinda nervous about the quality of both the initial release, and the potential support for it after release. It's really sad, and in the first thread, there was some discussion about buying up controlling interest in Atari, and cleaning house. Not a bad idea, and if I were rich...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
SHO-VA
Elite Waterdeep Guard

my post on the bio-boards:

After reading 11 pages of posts on this, Its clear that Atari has really dug themselves in.

I am not suprised at all by their decision to pull the plug, so to speak. Video game companies have been doing what atari has done for along time now. look back on the history of Nintendo, they were the first to pull the plug on the old, in favor of the new, and have done so 6 to 7 times now. They have done it so often, that i refuse to buy any new console from them. Atari is no different from anyother company, they want money. They dont want alot of compitition to interfere with getting that money, be it from another company, or from an old product of their making.

I am Not going to buy NWN2 for along time after its release. It is not just this Atari thing, or due to Obsidions past products, or how they have been handeling certain cut features of the impending NWN2, but a combination of all of it. My decision, has nothing to do with hurting Atari, or Obsidion, but has to do with my lack of confidence that NWN2, will be better than NWN.

I thank Bio-ware for NWN. I use your product on a regular basis, and will buy any future product without question. Bio-ware has shown time and time again that they care about their customers, support their products, and have great vision, as well as the "Stones" to back it up.

For the community, the advice I have, is start posting on the WotC website, and inform them of how disapointed with Atari you are. Maybe, just maybe, WotC will decied its in their best interest to pull the plug on Ataris licence, and let a better company buy it.

I hope that Bio-Ware tries to get the licence to make another D&D based game. Bio-Ware did NWN extreemly well, and gave us old time players something that We were needing for along time. I also hope that Bio-Ware consider being their own publisher, As with the great style and vision Bio-Ware has, a Outside publisher would only take your money, and hold you back.

NWN will stay installed on my Computers for along, long time, reguardless of future patches, official, or unofficial. NWN does exactly what I want it to do, and with all the great content from the community, can be made to look and feel different several times over.

Thanks Again Bio-Ware for 1000s of hours of enjoyment. Long may you live!
Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I haven't bothered to post in either forum. It's not going to matter what gets posted at Bioware. I am beginning to share your view however. Between features that aren't included, "can't be done", etc, I don't see much point in it.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Okay, I read through quite a bit. My question is this: How does this affect - if at all - the current massive amount of NWN1 community mods that you and I can download for free?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Unless Atari decides to go up against NWVault, it won't affect them at all. The same holds true for Gamespy, for while it is released with most games, it is an independant entity. The only stipulation on modules is that they can't be sold by the individual that makes them. The Premium Modules being an exception, since they were officially supported by Bioware. In this, we can be grateful for the support that Bioware actually does provide for NWN's; Atari had little to nothing to do with the community, and I believe they kept it that way on purpose. If it's not adding to the bottom line, they weren't interested.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Bah!

Sorry for a one word post, but that's all I can say right now.