Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #1
Storm Shadow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a 4300S Dell with Windows XP. Every time I tried to play Wizards and Warriors my game would lock up and shut down. I queried Microsoft as to how to get the game to run and what they told me was to go start and click on run. Then they said tell it to run msconfig. When the window comes up click on selective startup and click only load system services, and load startup items. Then original boot.ini

Then they said to open the services window and disable all but the following:
app mgmt
windows audio
Fast user
RIP listener
Plug and Play
Remote Proced call...
Remote Proced call... (yes, there are two of them)

Then open the startup window and disable all but the following:
tgcmd
tgfix
real play
Q Agent
alogserv
msmsgr
WkDetect
ReLaunch

After this you click on apply and then OK. It will then ask you if you want to restart your computer. Do so. Then get ready to begin the game. Not much else works when the computer is set this way and you end up having to go back to start, run: msconfig and click on normal startup to reset the normal settings.

I know it's a rather involved proceedure but at least I can play the game!
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:45 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

Yes this does seem a bit tedious, lol! Especially since I think most players get through the game with a bare minimum of failures just running the game in compatibility mode... But still, post it in the best tip thread so this excellent tip doesn´t get forgotten!
Old 06-18-2002, 09:00 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Storm Shadow!!!

Yes, a very excellent tip - do post it to the BEST TIPS thread!

There are other work arounds for WINXP but if this is working, then there is no need to go looking for and trying any of them.

Hope you are enjoying the game!

Wyv
Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote