Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #11
Elric of Melnibone
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Personally, I think darts are a life saver for low-level assassins. Incredible rate of fire, combined with the poison ability, cannot be overstated. For melee combat (preferably through backstabbing), I prefer short swords and daggers from a purely role-playing perspective. I think this makes the game much more interesting, than going after katanas or long swords.
Elric of Melnibone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I like using a Bow for an Assassin. Why? 1 ApR for a single weapon bites. It really does. I can't go one-on-one with Alamas in the Copper Coronet if I'm trying to melee him.

I suppose that Darts would be nicer, but Tuigan's Bow +1 gives an Assassin 3 ApR, which Darts give automatically. Use that for most fights, and Tansheron's for the rest.

I personally don't hold much stock in shields. I mean, wear the Girdle of Piercing/Belt of Inertial Barrier and you won't get hit that much by piercing. What about the rest? You should be able to avoid most of them and hit 'n run using the Boots of Speed. Not to mention that you'll probably outlast most archers if you keep on Poisoning your bow and keep on moving away from the melee fighters.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #13
TanisGilthanas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I went with a elf assassin, ended up with a roll of 86, max dex, max str and like 16 con, with 10 int and wis and 13 or maybe 14 cha. I went with single weapon style, short swords, long swords and short bows. Using the short sword +1 you get almost right off the bat.

When i get outside what should i try to get weapon wise? And next time i get a chance to put a point into a weapon, should i put another in something i already have, or something like say Katanas?
TanisGilthanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:53 AM   #14
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by TanisGilthanas:
When i get outside what should i try to get weapon wise? And next time i get a chance to put a point into a weapon, should i put another in something i already have . . .
unfortunately, as a pure class thief you only ever get to put one star per weapon type - anything you pick can be useful depending on how you play it - i'm resisting spoiling you on specific weapons but i'd want a blunt weapon in there (club or staff)
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quarterstaff! Clubs are for dualwielding Fighter/Druids. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Personally... my starting proficiencies for a solo Assassin will be,

1) Long Sword
2) Shortbow
3) Quarterstaff

~

Level 12: Single Weapon Style
Level 16: Two-Handed Weapon Style
Level 20: Katana
Level 24+: Anything

You can postpone the Katana proficiency for later, because it will be some time before your solo Assassin can use(read, obtain) the useful Katana.

Early in the game, you can get your hands on a +3 enchanted Long Sword, a Shortbow with 3 ApR, and a +4 enchanted Quarterstaff. Consider your weapon options settled for Chapter 2-3.

Single Weapon Style is for the Long Sword. Two-Handed Weapon Style is for the Quarterstaff. Neither applies to the Shortbow.

Later on, you can lay your hands on a +3 enchanted Shortbow that shoots +3 enchanted phantom arrows. This is very good for Iron/Adamantite Golems.

PRIORITY ITEM NUMBER ONE: BOOTS OF SPEED.

Make plans to get your grubby greedy hands on these babies by level 12. They are very vital to tactical retreats, hit and runs and outright survival.

It is not advisable for a solo Assassin to do De'Arnise Keep early in the game. The trolls will do you in, and I am speaking about the default version. Stay the Hell away from the Keep until you either max out your level or you are in Chapter 6, if you have Improved Torgal installed.

Speed is your friend.

Laying Traps before you sleep in the open is a good idea. Spread them evenly so that they will not all end up hitting the same target. This is not cheese. This is good roleplay.

Speed is your friend.

Learn to hit and run. As an Assassin, you have access to one of the most potent H&R tools, Poison Weapon.

Speed is your friend.

When you have mastered hitting and running with ranged weapons. Learn to backstab and run. Do this only after you have been hasted(Boots of Speed, Oil of Speed, etc...).

Speed is your friend.

Repeat to yourself before each game session, "I am not a tank. I am an assassin. I cannot melee like a hero. I must be a sneaky bastard who likes to weaken his enemies with poison and backstab with weapons or destroy them with traps."

Speed is your friend.

Use Any Item means you can use the MoD+2; and shields, oh yeah... no more stinking bucklers; and helmets... ...

Finally... Speed is your friend.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:52 PM   #16
Nerull
Lord Ao

Hmmm...I've been lurking on this thread since it was posted, and I've seen quite a few really good suggestions for playing a solo assassin. I'm playing a solo sorcerer through all 3 games (i.e. BGTutu; it was hard at first but now I'm destroying everything in my path), but after finishing that character I'm planning on soloing a thief. I was thinking about either an assassin or a swashbuckler, and this is leaning me towards assassin (some really good tactics involving weapon selections, poison weapon, etc.).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:56 AM   #17
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Quarterstaff! . . . .
jeez - and there was me trying to be a little bit subtle
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:20 AM   #18
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Actually, for a roleplaying Assassin, I'd suggest a Club for a blunt weapon--you can't hide a Quarterstaff on your person, no matter what you do (unless you're also in disguise as an octagenarian or something....)
Old 03-05-2004, 05:55 AM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Actually, for a roleplaying Assassin, I'd suggest a Club for a blunt weapon--you can't hide a Quarterstaff on your person, no matter what you do (unless you're also in disguise as an octagenarian or something....)
"Alms... alms for the poor. Oh look! A birdie behind you."

*WHACK! WHACK! WHACK!*

"Alms... alms for the poor."
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:48 AM   #20
TanisGilthanas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I havent been able to play alot, and finally got out of the first dungeon. Im level 11, or was it 12 already, and being able to poison arrows is amazing. I can see how some bigger fights are going to be harder down the line just because i dont have access to powerful buffing or debuffing spells and im not a pure fighter, but for the most part a solo assassin is ALOT of fun, and challenging.

Any tips on bigger fights down the line and possible tactics would rock.
TanisGilthanas is offline   Reply With Quote