Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 11:57 AM   #31
Rokenn
Galvatron

Hey you are most likely correct TL. I think all those demonstrators that did the same thing during the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights struggle during the 50's/60's should have just stayed home and not forced anyone to listen to their message either.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:58 AM   #32
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for clearing up my confusion and providing a link to reference, Donut. That is what this forum is about I guess...sharing knowledge and helping one another where one may be lacking. I am glad I asked the question, or I would not have learned. Too bad some took the question a bit harsh, and responded in like manner.

We have to remember that we are on different places of intellegence here, and questons should be asked without fear of resentment or such.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:59 AM   #33
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Well, here's what I'm talking about:
Quote:
From the NY Times:

Thousands of protesters honored their pledge to "stop business as usual" the day after bombing began in Iraq, walking out of classes and work, shutting down major roads and converging on plazas, bridges, military bases and federal buildings. In Chicago, a huge crowd gathered in Federal Plaza.
Now, if their goal is to stop my "business as usual" is it okay if my goal is to punch them in the nose when/if they succeed??? [/QUOTE]Business as usual in Iraq has certainly been shut down, I would guess that alot of Iraqi's feel the same way you do, they cant goto work or school or do anything else due to fear of bombing. You didn't ask for protestors and they didnt ask for war. Who is worst off?
Old 03-21-2003, 12:09 PM   #34
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, Chewbacca and Rokenn, if those civilians weren't embracing our troops with open arms, I'd say you have a point. But they are, so you don't.

But, I attack the very hypocricy in holding a "War Protest" that in and of itself turns violent. And there is no doubt that keeping me from living my life and avoiding the war on a daily basis is violence against me. Surely you do not support their right to shut down cities. Do you?

Let us not forget that during Vietnam those protestors turned violent against our troops when they returned home. Their war protests turned very violent. Do you support this too?
Old 03-21-2003, 12:11 PM   #35
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard_OHF:

I know bush kept saying that Al-Quiada was operative in Iraq and that osama and saddam were helping one another but that's pure ignorance of bush' advisors
or just another lie for the proganda war
I never heard Bush say Osama and Saddam were helping one another.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:19 PM   #36
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard_OHF:

I know bush kept saying that Al-Quiada was operative in Iraq and that osama and saddam were helping one another but that's pure ignorance of bush' advisors
or just another lie for the proganda war
I never heard Bush say Osama and Saddam were helping one another. [/QUOTE]It was US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher who said this on February 12th after hearing one of Bin Laden's tapes.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #37
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The right of protestors to protest does not extend into a right for them to obstruct non-protestors lives. They are not allowed to jump up and down on the hood of my car while screaming look at me, and likewise, the are not entitled to block my way to work, or anywhere for that matter.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #38
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Well, Chewbacca and Rokenn, if those civilians weren't embracing our troops with open arms, I'd say you have a point. But they are, so you don't.

But, I attack the very hypocricy in holding a "War Protest" that in and of itself turns violent. And there is no doubt that keeping me from living my life and avoiding the war on a daily basis is violence against me. Surely you do not support their right to shut down cities. Do you?

Let us not forget that during Vietnam those protestors turned violent against our troops when they returned home. Their war protests turned very violent. Do you support this too?
Your going to condemn an entire movement because of the violent actions of a small minority? I suppose I could do the same thing with the pro-war people, given the petty and not so petty hate crimes that their 'side' have done verses people of middle-eastern and French descent.

Also a large number of the signs I've seen at protests against the war are in support of the troops. I have heard no one condemning the troops for being their. Their statements are directed toward the administration that sent them over there.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:24 PM   #39
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
It was US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher who said this on February 12th after hearing one of Bin Laden's tapes.
Well, he was speaking out of turn. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The tapes showed Osama's support for the people of Iraq, and encouraged them to fight against the infidels. At least that's what I heard. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 12:25 PM   #40
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:

Well first off TL,shutting down traffick for a few hours is hardly violent and I discredit any civil disobediance that is. The spirit of Gandi and Martin Luther King calls for non-violent demonstartion and protest. Yes I support non-violent demonstrations and specific acts of non-violent civil disobediance to protest evil and injustice in the spirit of great leaders of our time.

Secondly, we have yet to see how welcoming the Iraqis living in the major urban areas will be to invaders, considering lifelong indocrination to Saddam and his regime.

Also it is pretty easy for a commoner/peasant to put on a happy face when armed soldiers are occupying their city and any protest might lead to detention or even death. Armed rule is the only rule in Iraq.

Thirdly it was a minority of vietnam war protestors that took their political frustrations out on the troops that were just following orders. It is very easy to discredit this sort of protest.

It should be noted that alot of Vietnam vets joined the protesting after their tour of duty. Thier first-hand expirience with the atrocities of war lent alot of credibility to the pro-peace movement and still do today.

And you didn't answer my question...Who is worst off? A bunch of Americans sitting in traffick a little longer or Iraqi children hiding in shelters or living in refugee camps?