Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I currently have a solo Human Wizard Slayer, but he's gotten a bit dull right now, so I want to try my first solo thief. The thing is, I can't figure out which kit to chose. Should I take up an Assassin and whip some butt through poisoning? I don't mind about the penalty to thief skills (btw, how much penalty is it?). How about the Bounty Hunter? It's got special traps, which isn't such a big deal anyway since I can get special thief traps from the ToB HLAS. I don't want to be a Swashbuckler because I want to be able to backstab. Or just I just run a pure thief with out a kit?

Is it good to dual a thief to another class? If yes, then which class(es)?

[ 02-14-2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Lord ]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Multi-Classed M/T is very powerful. So is F/T.

If you want to Dual-Class I suggest all powerful Kensai->Thief dualed at level 21 or 24.

But if you like good character with capability to steal,cast spells and so on I suggest the Blade. My Blade is waiting at the Ascension Final Battle. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Try assassin. Forget his poison. He gets a x7 backstab.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:43 PM   #4
Lord

Didn't necessarily mean Dual, actually. My mistake. I also meant Multi-Class too.

Can you multi-class a Kensai/Thief?

Also, what's a good race for a thief (besides gnome). Is Half-Elf good? I personally like humans, elves, and half-elves.

What about the Rogue-rebalancing mod? What exactly does it do? I read up somewhat on it, and the HLA revision sounds interresting. Does it take awya HLAs to make the thief weaker, or what?

Old 02-14-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
It's generally agreed that halflings make the best thieves.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
Didn't necessarily mean Dual, actually. My mistake. I also meant Multi-Class too.

Also, what's a good race for a thief (besides gnome). Is Half-Elf good? I personally like humans, elves, and half-elves.

What about the Rogue-rebalancing mod? What exactly does it do? I read up somewhat on it, and the HLA revision sounds interresting. Does it take awya HLAs to make the thief weaker, or what?
Quote:
No you can`t. Well at without cheating that is. You can do it if you cheat tough.

Quote:
Elves becuase they get bonus on DEX points.

Rogue Rebalancing

From Weimer`s site:
Quote:

This mod will re-balance the BG2 Rogues (Bards and Thieves) in an attempt to bring them closer to their PnP incarnations. It will add several new abilities to some of the Thief and Bard kits and alter their ToB HLA tables. It will also rectify the dual wield problem, add some new roguish equipment, and optionally, it can introduce a few challenging encounters with rogue-type opponents. Note: the mod consists of several components which can be installed independently of one another:
Dual Wield Fix and Rogue Shop
Thief Kit and HLA revisions
Bard Kit and HLA revisions
Chosen of Cyric Encounter
Shadow Thief Improvements
Detailed descriptions of each of the components can be found in the appropriate text files which come with the mod, but they are also available for viewing online on my website.
ADD] If you are smart you don`t want to install Shadow Thief Improvements component. Actaully go ahead. And cry.

[ 02-14-2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 02-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Lord

Thanks Xen. I had already read up on the Rogue Rebalancing mod, that's why I asked about it.

This component will rebalance the Bounty Hunter and the Swashbuckler thief kits and add a new
ability called 'Crippling Strike' to the Thief HLA list

It simply says 'will rebalance the Bounty Hunter and add...' So it doesn't say what the rebalancing is. What is it?

BTW, I think I'm gonna run an Assassin. Been rolling stats for a while now, and can only get up to 87 points so far. *Sigh*

Old 02-14-2004, 05:43 PM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I strongly suggest that you Dual-Class your Assasain to Fighter. It is very powerful class.

Assasin alone won`t hit sh*t. Once you get HLA˙s it is cool...

Oh and if you want to be really powerful?

Assasain Cleric is one of the most powerful Dual-Classes too.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #9
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I suggest Assassin -> Mage. What I'm currently doing [img]smile.gif[/img] Poison Weapon is insane on none-Mage enemies. After I pump three or so, they start stuttering. It gets even better if they don't make their saves. As soon as I get my Mage abilities, I'm going to go with MMM and EB in combination with IH and PW. It's gonna be murder. [img]tongue.gif[/img] (Why? 9/10 ApR will poison-lock any non-completely immune enemies if I hit most of the time, which I will, even if they make their saves. And Mages only last as long as their PfMW lasts).

Don't attempt melee combat unless you have a pretty high strength. I have 16 Strength, and even with a Buckler/Katana, it's pretty damn hard to hit fighters. Not to mention that the 1 ApR really bites. A Short Bow + 1 (get one ASAP from the Adventurer's Mart) will serve you well until you get the Tuigan Bow (pretty soon, in my reckoning).

On a side note, would it be something to consider if someone changed the PfMW spell to only affect melee weapons, and add in a Protection from Magical Missiles spell? PfMW as it is protects from everyone and their brother in ToB, I think, is slightly overpowered.

[ 02-14-2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
Don't attempt melee combat unless you have a pretty high strength. I have 16 Strength, and even with a Buckler/Katana, it's pretty damn hard to hit fighters. Not to mention that the 1 ApR really bites. A Short Bow + 1 (get one ASAP from the Adventurer's Mart) will serve you well until you get the Tuigan Bow (pretty soon, in my reckoning).
I've got 17 (or maybe 18) strength, although just 1 proficiency in Long Sword, Katana, Single Weapon, and Two Weapon won't be too goo right now. And don't non-warrior classes only get 1 proficiency every 8 lvls?