Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

What do you think... how often you think whether you´re doing the work of you´ve always dreamt of? Any future plans for that?

I´m only 21, but almost giving up my hopes to get a profession. I´m facing exams that fly over my head like a Hornet, something you cannot really get a grip of. Combine the failures, temporarily low self-confidence and pressures from relatives with doubting am I in my dream school after all = depression. Been thinking about either taking up my parents farm as they are hoping (which would destroy me and my gf´s future plans, what´s worst, I might even lose her), or changing school, which would be a poor idea at this age, seeing I´ve already wasted 1/3 of the support money. I´m too decideless person.

What´s the hope in modern society with high school papers? A lifetime clerk?

Oh, I guess stress has stolen my common sense.

Life always goes on.. or does it?
Old 06-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

It's never too late to make a change in your education. You shouldn't do it unless you feel truly miserable at your current school and unless you have a clear idea of what it is you DO want to do, but it's not impossible! You simply need to be willing to put in an effort. If your current situation has arisen from your being lazy (not saying it is!! just a general comment) then changing schools will probably not help, since you'll only be running away from the real problem. But if you simply made a wrong choice in your education and you want to amend it, go for it! Of course I'm not very familiar with the situation in Finland but I don't think you should make too big of an issue out of money. I'm studying in a slower tempo now and it costs me money, but since I cannot do it any other way, I've found it easier to accept, and now I know there's always a way to manage things, even if it will be harder. [img]smile.gif[/img]
You still have 2/3rds, you can always find a job in the last part of your study to help pay the bills, or even run up a small debt (the only reason for which I'd dare make debts is for education - since it's an investment as much as a debt).
If you feel truly depressed and/or unable to cope with the study's workload, I would strongly advise you to go see a student's counselor. You'd be crazy not to take any help you can get if things suck so much for you right now, and a student's counselor will be able to give you quite specific help with regard to any study problems!
In any case, GOOD LUCK!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I agree with Mel to go check out your school's counselling services - that's what they're there for and they'd be plenty experienced with people having exactly the same problems you are. There's a lot of pressures on students with money issues, smaller number of uni places and a more competitive job market it's really common to feel overwhelmed and down on yourself and depressed. I also agree that changing the direction of your education could be a good thing - as long as it's because you either can't do the work (ie not capable, not because you're not studying ), or because you realise you won't enjoy working in that field when you've finished your education. Actually I think that if you are doing poorly because you aren't trying or aren't motivated (dunno if it is [img]smile.gif[/img] ) that's a pretty good indicator that the area mightn't be appropriate for you anyway - I know when I'm really enjoying a subject I try a lot harder and tend to get better results.

It's certainly not unusual for people to change their degree or area of interest at university or whatever tertiary study you're doing. When you think about it, going from school into a degree program which you most likely have had no experience of at school and know not much about the nitty gritty of it, is begging for people to make choices that they later wish to change. A couple of my friends changed degrees a few times before they were happy with what they were doing. Also sometimes the work is simply too hard, which you can't know starting out - while it's fashionable to say 'you can do anything you want to do' it's just not true sometimes - I know if I had done engineering which was suggested to me I would have done really badly since I'm pretty clueless when it comes to physics.

Also while a lot of jobs do require a degree, it's not a ticket to the dole queue if you end up not having one. You can still get a good job with career opportunities with a high school education [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Hang in there! Think about how you're really doing and why you're not succeeding like you might be, and what you really want to be doing in 5, 10 years time. There's always options [img]smile.gif[/img] *hugs*