Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #31
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I still have my Commodore 64, but my first PC was a Tandy TRS-80.
I cannot believe I just now remembered that. I am pretty freaked right now.

I also just realized that there are people on IW that have no idea what those two computers are, and think that Win95 was the first OS.

[ 12-07-2006, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-08-2006, 02:02 AM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I remember the Tandy's. I also remember the old Apples.
Apple, Commodore, Tandy, Atari, IBM.

Ah those were the days!

Oh and loading summer games II off cassette tapes, taking 15 minutes to load each game!

Impossible Mission! - "Stay awhile... stay forever....HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Adventure in Serenia!
Kings Quest!
EYE OF THE BEHOLDER!

Ah it's all flooding back....

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #33
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

This is fascinating Larry, it's from wiki:

Winning the market war

Commodore BASIC V2.0
The C64 faced a wide range of competing home computers at its introduction in August 1982. With an impressive price point coupled with the 64's advanced hardware, it quickly out-classed many of its competitors. In the United States the greatest competitors to the C64 were the Atari 400/800, IBM PC and Apple II. The Atari 400/800 was very similar in hardware terms, but it was very expensive to build, which forced Atari to redesign their machine to be more cost effective. This resulted in the 600XL/800XL line and the transfer of their production to the Far East. The IBM PC and the now aging Apple II were no match for the C64's graphical and sound abilities, but they were very expandable with their internal expansion slots, a feature lacking in the 64.

All three machines had a standard memory configuration of 16K, 48K less RAM than the C64. At US$1,500, the IBM PC and Apple II were 3 times as expensive, while the Atari 800 cost a mere $899. One key to the C64's success was Commodore's aggressive marketing tactics, and they were quick to exploit the relative price/performance divisions between its competitors with a series of television commercials after the C64's launch in late 1982. [2]

Commodore sold the C64 not only through its network of authorized dealers, but also placed it on the shelves of department stores, discount stores, and toy stores. Since it had the ability to output composite video, the C64 did not require a specialized monitor, but could be plugged into a television set. This allowed it (like its predecessor, the VIC-20) to compete directly against video game consoles such as the Atari 2600.
Aggressive pricing of the C64 is considered to be a major catalyst in the video game crash of 1983. In 1983, Commodore offered a $100 rebate in the United States on the purchase of a C64 upon receipt of any video game console or computer. To take advantage of the $100 rebate, some mail-order dealers and retailers offered a Timex Sinclair 1000 for as little as $10 with purchase of a C64 so the consumer could send the computer to Commodore, collect the rebate, and pocket the difference.[3] Timex Corporation departed the marketplace within a year. The success of the VIC-20 and C64 also contributed significantly to the exit of Texas Instruments' TI-99/4A and other competitors from the field.

In 1984, Commodore released the Commodore Plus/4. The Plus/4 offered a higher-color display, a better implementation of BASIC (V3.5), and built-in software. However, Commodore committed what was perceived by critics and consumers as a major strategic error by making it incompatible with the C64. To top it all off, the Plus/4 lacked hardware sprite capability and had much poorer sound, thus seriously underperforming in two of the areas that had made the C64 a star.

In the United Kingdom, the primary competitors to the C64 were the British-built Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the Amstrad CPC464. Released a few months ahead of the C64, and selling for almost half the price, the Spectrum quickly became the market leader. Commodore would have an uphill struggle against the Spectrum, it could no longer rely on undercutting the competition. The C64 debuted at £399 in early 1983, while the Spectrum cost £175. The C64 would later rival the Spectrum in popularity in the latter half of the 1980s, eventually outliving the Spectrum (which was discontinued in 1992).

Despite a few attempts by Commodore to discontinue the C64 in favour of other, higher priced machines, constant demand made its discontinuation a hard task. By 1988, Commodore were selling 1.5 million C64s worldwide. Although demand for the C64 dropped off in the US by 1990, it continued to be popular in the UK and other European countries. In the end, economics, not obsolescence sealed the C64's fate. In March 1994 at CeBIT in Hanover Germany, Commodore announced that the C64 would be finally discontinued in 1995. Commodore claimed that the C64's disk drive was more expensive to manufacture than the C64 itself. Although Commodore had planned to discontinue the C64 by 1995, the company filed for bankruptcy a month later, in April 1994.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:20 AM   #34
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

16k ram!

I just upgraded to 2gig of Ram.... the mind boggles....

Old 12-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #35
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

And that only in 25 years.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #36
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Add to the Strip "Mac's...who wants to attack a computer that there are only 8 pieces of software for it!" [img]smile.gif[/img]
Eh? What are you talking about?

Just in my field there is:

Digidesign's Protools
Steinberg's Cubase and Nuendo
Logic Audio
Garageband
Soundtrack
Digital Performer/MOTU
Ableton Live
Peak
Propellerhead's Reason, Rebirth, Recycle etc

These are the topdraw audio programs around. Within each there are myriad "instruments" (Battery 3, gigasampler, Trilogy, Stylus and Atmosphere, idrum, etc. etc.) as wll as processors such as waves and UAD or apogee... All for the mac. I mean the list goes on and on, and I have things to do

There is no better option if you're recording music. As said, of the hundreds of people I've worked with in New York City alone, I've encountered ONE who works on PC. The abundance of software choices and support, workflow, compatability issues,(mac's can use PC files, but PCs can't use mac files, so you get stuck if you're PC) etc I mean I would seriously recommend anyone getting into music production to go with mac all the way.

Quote:
Mac's are like a pretty Lamborghini car shell. But the insides is a Ford. It does a few neat things with photos, but cannot match a PC in speed, nor software. (And can't handle 1gig PSD Photoshop files well.)
Wrong wrong wrong all the way. Mate I use both PC and Mac, and the Mac has much lower latency, (no use playing in a virtul instrument if it's out of time) and can be stacked full of plugins and tracks far more than the PC. It's a smooth running, crashless beast of a machine.

And what's with the photoshop comment?

All my artwork is done on photoshop. Photoshop on the mac kicks butt.

So does video editting. Again, video editting on the mac kicks butt.

And as for the bundled software you get on a new mac... c'mon man, you just cannot say Mac's have no programs. That's simply laughable. I have all I need. Any more options and I'd have a permanetly rotating neck.

Quote:
The hardware is WAY overpriced--laughably so--like $4000 for a mac that will do and have the power my $1800 rig cost.
Rubbish. $2500 would get you a kick-arse Mac that handles audio like a dream.
Mate, I just did the specs and comparisons. Went out and got a new Mac.

Quote:
Reason mac's don't get virii is cause they attack what people use the most.. But that is changing. Loads of virii are hitting mac's new OS.
Mac put out security updates regularly and this is the reason why I've NEVER had a virus in my five years working macs. Macs all have the same setups, whereas PCs are varied. Does Dell sendout virus protection every time a new one is discovered? Does HP? C'mon.

Quote:
I do think since they are using Intel, and becoming compatible, it's a good thing. I can do everything a mac does with Photoshop, Elements, 3DS Max, and Premiere.
No you can't do everything a mac does. You can't run mac softare on your pc, yet the mac can run pc software. So any program you run, I can run, but you can't run all the mac stuff.

Final Cut pro, Logic, Aperture, Garageband. Great programs. Garageband is free with each new mac.

I didn't buy a PC specifically because it COULD NOT do all the things I wanted to do.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, they are nice. I *Started* out on a Commodore 64, and had an Amiga (A god system at the time, with the best graphics--before CGA and EGA, yet looked GREAT!)
Cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Played Bruce Lee on the Commie through 4 times in one sitting. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]

Old 12-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #37
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
And that only in 25 years.
So in 25 years to come... what's possible!? The mind boggles.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #38
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Add to the Strip "Mac's...who wants to attack a computer that there are only 8 pieces of software for it!" [img]smile.gif[/img]
Eh? What are you talking about?

Just in my field there is:

Digidesign's Protools
Steinberg's Cubase and Nuendo
Logic Audio
Garageband
Soundtrack
Digital Performer/MOTU
Ableton Live
Peak
Propellerhead's Reason, Rebirth, Recycle etc

These are the topdraw audio programs around. Within each there are myriad "instruments" (Battery 3, gigasampler, Trilogy, Stylus and Atmosphere, idrum, etc. etc.) as wll as processors such as waves and UAD or apogee... All for the mac. I mean the list goes on and on, and I have things to do

There is no better option if you're recording music. As said, of the hundreds of people I've worked with in New York City alone, I've encountered ONE who works on PC. The abundance of software choices and support, workflow, compatability issues,(mac's can use PC files, but PCs can't use mac files, so you get stuck if you're PC) etc I mean I would seriously recommend anyone getting into music production to go with mac all the way.

Quote:
Mac's are like a pretty Lamborghini car shell. But the insides is a Ford. It does a few neat things with photos, but cannot match a PC in speed, nor software. (And can't handle 1gig PSD Photoshop files well.)
Wrong wrong wrong all the way. Mate I use both PC and Mac, and the Mac has much lower latency, (no use playing in a virtul instrument if it's out of time) and can be stacked full of plugins and tracks far more than the PC. It's a smooth running, crashless beast of a machine.

And what's with the photoshop comment?

All my artwork is done on photoshop. Photoshop on the mac kicks butt.

So does video editting. Again, video editting on the mac kicks butt.

And as for the bundled software you get on a new mac... c'mon man, you just cannot say Mac's have no programs. That's simply laughable. I have all I need. Any more options and I'd have a permanetly rotating neck.

Quote:
The hardware is WAY overpriced--laughably so--like $4000 for a mac that will do and have the power my $1800 rig cost.
Mate, I just did the specs and comparisons. Went out and got a new Mac.

Quote:
Reason mac's don't get virii is cause they attack what people use the most.. But that is changing. Loads of virii are hitting mac's new OS.
Mac put out security updates regularly and this is the reason why I've NEVER had a virus in my five years working macs. Macs all have the same setups, whereas PCs are varied. Does Dell sendout virus protection every time a new one is discovered? Does HP? C'mon.

Quote:
I do think since they are using Intel, and becoming compatible, it's a good thing. I can do everything a mac does with Photoshop, Elements, 3DS Max, and Premiere.
No you can't do everything a mac does. You can't run mac softare on your pc, yet the mac can run pc software. So any program you run, I can run, but you can't run all the mac stuff.

Final Cut pro, Logic, Aperture, Garageband. Great programs. Garageband is free with each new mac.

I didn't buy a PC specifically because it COULD NOT do all the things I wanted to do.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, they are nice. I *Started* out on a Commodore 64, and had an Amiga (A god system at the time, with the best graphics--before CGA and EGA, yet looked GREAT!)
Cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Played Bruce Lee on the Commie through 4 times in one sitting. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]

[img]graemlins/agree.gif[/img]

[ 12-08-2006, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 12-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #39
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Umm, Yorick...
More than half of the audio programs you mentioned are for the PC and Mac both. I know, because I worked with them. And of the people in the music industry I know, none use a Mac, and three have tried. It's not like Macs have any strong points when compared to a PC, except for design(arguable) and standardization. You claim that audio and graphics design applications are better on a Mac. That's bull. No Mac application can ever hope to be better than the same application on the PC simply because the PC has three million times the amount of people working on patches, plugins, tools and addons.

Quote:
Yeah, whereas a PC for $2500 would handle pretty much everything, audio, video, graphics, 3d design... And you get to play games on it!1!

Quote:
Does Intel? You're comparing apples to oranges, Compare Mac to Microsoft, not to Dell or HP, because Dell and HP don't have their own OS.

Quote:
No, you didn't buy a PC because it didn't have those specifi programs you listed(it has some, but not all). But you didn't go out of your way to inform yourself on what the PC has in those areas now, have you?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #40
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Umm, Yorick...
More than half of the audio programs you mentioned are for the PC and Mac both. I know, because I worked with them. And of the people in the music industry I know, none use a Mac, and three have tried. It's not like Macs have any strong points when compared to a PC, except for design(arguable) and standardization. You claim that audio and graphics design applications are better on a Mac. That's bull. No Mac application can ever hope to be better than the same application on the PC simply because the PC has three million times the amount of people working on patches, plugins, tools and addons.

quote:
Yeah, whereas a PC for $2500 would handle pretty much everything, audio, video, graphics, 3d design... And you get to play games on it!1!

Quote:
Does Intel? You're comparing apples to oranges, Compare Mac to Microsoft, not to Dell or HP, because Dell and HP don't have their own OS.

Quote:
No, you didn't buy a PC because it didn't have those specifi programs you listed(it has some, but not all). But you didn't go out of your way to inform yourself on what the PC has in those areas now, have you?
[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/agree.gif[/img] ..just to be fair..