Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2002, 12:17 PM   #41
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Cerek,

Yep, the holidays went fairly well considering the fact the house was completely full and I ended up with a raging case of hives (from stuffing all the stress of said holiday, trying to keep everyone happy and dealing with *4* teenagers instead of the usual 3).

The other 'situation' is still lurking in the background. So far there haven't been any more problems. I spoke with our local deputy and I think he might have had a word with said harasser.

I enjoy discussing religion with others..but I have little if any patience with the 'thumpers'. I do not seek converts to my Path and so I do not expect others to attempt to draw me to theirs. ::shrugs:: But we can certainly sit down and talk about it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Discretion......my middle name (NOT!)
Old 01-18-2002, 12:18 PM   #42
MagiK

The Babylonians and Sumerians both had central evil "satan" figures in their beliefs. I believe the Hindus had Shiva long before christianity I dont have my reference works handy since I am at work so I can't quote years BC here.

Old 01-18-2002, 12:20 PM   #43
MagiK

Garnet...don't them thumpers know you attract more flys with honey than with vinegar...oooo wait if they did that they would be more satan like [img]smile.gif[/img] bummer [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2002, 12:24 PM   #44
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
The Babylonians and Sumerians both had central evil "satan" figures in their beliefs. I believe the Hindus had Shiva long before christianity I dont have my reference works handy since I am at work so I can't quote years BC here.

Ummm, MagiK, Shiva isn't a 'satanic' type figure.......

Are you trying to point out *demonic* type figures or Satan becuase the two are not necessarilly mutually inclusive.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:24 PM   #45
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Oh hell that isnt even nesecarily a religious thing the visual you described is from the middle ages sheesh..>I thought we were talking concepts here and not Dante. As for the seven deadly sins those were actually not defined as such untill the middle ages as well....you are mixing radicly different time frames here.

Actually, I'm the one who's taking the original remark (Satan as being of the Christian belief system) and working from that. What makes you think the original poster meant to specify demonic qualities associated with all evil archon-like figures? I assumed he meant exactly what he said, and that he was noting the Satanic qualities that are intimately Christian, and arose in the Middle Ages.

Now, are you going to answer my question?
Old 01-18-2002, 12:32 PM   #46
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Heh its all just another of the countless religions to me. Another to fall beneath me on my path to destruction
Hey its fine with me what people want to worship, Id rather spend that time doing something a bit more useful [img]tongue.gif[/img]
And NOT going to even go into the whole satan arguement you got here cant you just give the poor little horned guy a break?
Ah the sweet smell of Aethiesm

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: AzureWolf ]

Old 01-18-2002, 12:37 PM   #47
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:

Ummm, MagiK, Shiva isn't a 'satanic' type figure.......

Are you trying to point out *demonic* type figures or Satan becuase the two are not necessarilly mutually inclusive.

How do you figure the destroyer of worlds was not satanic ...from what little I have read he/she was a evil creature of chaos and malice..which is what I associate with satanic figureheads

Old 01-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #48
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

quote:

How do you figure the destroyer of worlds was not satanic ...from what little I have read he/she was a evil creature of chaos and malice..which is what I associate with satanic figureheads

He also dances the world back into creation every day......it's a never-ending cycle of death and rebirth.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:41 PM   #49
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:

Not precisely.

Demons and 'evil' certainly do predate Christianity. Creatures we now call 'satanic' do as well. HOWEVER, the early Christians, who just happened to be a cult of the Jewish/Hebraic people, borrowed Lucifer from the Old Testament and reassembled him as the Satan we all know and hate today. (The Jewish Lucifer was originally God's chief prosecutor. The word 'saitan' meant 'obstacle'.)

And technically, Christianity *does* include parts of the Babylonian system as well as every other belief system either before the New Testament or after! It is the way in which it mixed them all and approach the idea of salvation through the Christ figure that makes them who they are.

Have to remember that while christianity show Lucifer and Satan as being different names for the same being, Satan in christianity is in my opinion from what I have read a complex construct with bits and pieces pulled in from other older belief systems, the Satan who lies and tricks is one satan, the satan who represents evil is pulled from elsewhere and there are other facets to the christian satan that I again not having my references available I cant bring to mind at the moment [img]smile.gif[/img] Trying to integrate New logical volumes and High Availability software on two servers while trying to comment on religion is proving to be quite dificult [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2002, 12:42 PM   #50
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Garnet...don't them thumpers know you attract more flys with honey than with vinegar...oooo wait if they did that they would be more satan like [img]smile.gif[/img] bummer [img]smile.gif[/img]

That's EXACTLY why I'm not a "thumper". I never liked that approach and that - combined with my perception of church being full of hypocrites - drove me from church for several years.

I finally started back in college, but still took a awhile before I accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. That's when I realized that it was wrong to judge others and their actions. I have plenty of sin to deal with in my own life without worrying about someone else's actions.

So...let's recap...I'm a Southern Baptist, but not a "Bible-thumper", I enjoy AD&D, Lord of the Rings, and would probably like Harry Potter if I were the proper age, and now I am enjoying a courteous and civil discussion with witches and Wiccans......that's gotta be akin to 2 immortals battling on holy ground....ie, earthshaking!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

AFA winning converts over to my POV, I've learned that my words and experiences alone will not be enough. That is best left to Jesus and the Holy Spirit to accomplish. I can only hope to create an interest in someone to check it out for themselves. If they choose to do so, that's great. If not, then I respect their choice.