Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Running a character all the way through the three modules, how many levels do you get? Both times I have finished on about level 28 but I am led to believe that level 40 is possible. What do you guys achieve?

Is it possible to start Sou or Hou with a fresh (create new) level 3 or so character? I hate using a level 1 character.

Is there a limit to how many classes you take? I would like a character that has a level in ranger and one in rouge as well as the normal Cleric class to begin with and later on take another class.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

In Sou you are allowed to start at level 3. However you need to import a level three character since Character Creation will give you a brand new spanking level 1 one.

In HoTU however, they automatically level up your character to 15. That is if your character is not already at level 15.

I tried doing all three modules, I started with SoU then planned to go to NWN then HoTU, however, that was when i did not know about the SoU bug so when i played and reached that bug point in SoU i simply gave up. (And deleted my character in frustration) Now i'm going to try it again with a female rogue wizard.

In my last run through the 3 with a Cleric 14/Fighter 4/ Wep Mast 7 the game was a bit easy since i had too much money in the point where i could upgrade weapons.....

There is a limit of Three Classes...beyond that it not allowed...
Old 07-14-2005, 04:16 AM   #3
Target
Red Dragon

You could always do the prolog (Neverwinter academy) bit of the OC to level your Cleric up those first few levels. Save him/her then start SoU with that one.

[ 07-14-2005, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Target ]

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I'm the opposite to you Wellard, I prefer to start at level 1!

I finished Vanilla NWN with a level 14 Dwarven Fighter but decided that his general uber-ness was simply too much and that I was power-gaming for the most part rather than roleplaying, especially towards the end. So I started SOU with a fresh new level 1 character, a half elven cleric. It made much more sense plot wise also, since SOU doesn't seem to have any relevance at all to the original NWN plot.

I finished SOU at level 13 (in a couple of days..hehe) and will get into Hordes of the Underdark very soon. I was a little irritated that the game imposes 15 odd level ups almost immediately on a new character. Has anyone played Hordes from the start with a level one character incidentally? Is it possible?

Although I was tempted to keep playing my cleric (SOU and Hordes are tenuously connected) I've decided to go for a Necromancer instead as a challenge. Its only my first time through so I hope Hordes is more consistent in the roleplaying department than SOU was. I felt SOU broke down somewhat and became less interesting after chapter one.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:37 AM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
I was a little irritated that the game imposes 15 odd level ups almost immediately on a new character. Has anyone played Hordes from the start with a level one character incidentally? Is it possible?
Apart from the facts that you cannot get around that little leveling-up-scheme and that it doesn't make any sense story-wise, a level one character would very probably not even be able to survive the very first encounter with the lone Drow thief in your room, let alone the battle on the main floor. So playing HotU starting with a level 1 character is quite impossible, for several reasons.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Target:
You could always do the prolog (Neverwinter academy) bit of the OC to level your Cleric up those first few levels. Save him/her then start SoU with that one.
Does anybody think the start of Sou should be a level two or three? After all you are about to leave the acadamy after years of training. The dwarf is either a poor teacher or you are in remedial class for heroes

Thats what I may have to do Target. I just can not stand being level 1.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowolf03:
however, that was when i did not know about the SoU bug so when i played and reached that bug point in SoU i simply gave up. (And deleted my character in frustration)
I'll be starting SoU soon, and would definately want to avoid the frustration.
What is the bug?
Try to tell me with as few spoilers as possible (just how to avoid it). Though if there is no other way, you can go ahead and spoil.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
Target
Red Dragon

I don't really like starting at level 1 either, one lucky hit from an early encounter and you've got to start again!
Saying that the first time I played the OC and SoU I played with a level 1 person. Now on later games I tend to start with slightly higher ones, but not to high to make it pointless/to easy to play.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #9
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
@ J'aran

Whilst I tentatively agree with you that it would be impossible with a level one character to make head way into Hordes (if the the first and second battles are anything to go by...) I'd be cautious in saying that it was absolutely impossible, as miracles in the form of truly imaginative gamers can find methods for success. If there was a way to start at level one, I'm sure there would be those insane enough to try.

Take Midget Gems for example - he completed Icewind Dale without levelling up at all for the entire game - with level one characters!
Sure, obviously the two games' dynamics are much different in scope with NWN being generally less strategic. (IWD being party based) It was still some feat.
Thus there's bound to be a similar NWN/Hordes story on the net somewhere! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Geez Wellard, you still haven't spelt out why you don't like being level one so much. Hopefully its more than just power and status issues at play. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I mean, for me its one of those few moments in a game where you have to pay complete attention to what your character is doing at all times. I love that uncertainty of what a level one character can achieve without getting killed. It creates tension, doubt and that old school RPG feeling of anticipation of challenges to come.

Those familiar with taking a level one party through the streets of skara brae and into the wine cellar in Bard's Tale for the first time will know what I mean! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-14-2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
Nightowl2
Galvatron

If you don't want to start at level one, use Chewie's mod to make a character at whatever level you prefer, then bring it into the game. I just did that with a new guy whom I brought up to level 3, then into OC chapter 1. Worked really well. You can do the same with SOU, or even HOTU.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote