Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 AM   #11
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I usually stay out of debates like this, but WTF do you even need an assault weapon for anyway? To protect yourself? Yeah, right. A pistol or rifle is just as adequate for that as a semi-automatic. And because, just like that site itself states, you're more likely to be attacked with a crowbar, hammer or baseball bat, in by far most instances pretty much any common household heavy blunt object would suffice.

Call me European, but I find a society where civilians want to own an assault rifle creepy, and a society where civilians think they actually need an assault rifle just to protect themselves scares the living daylights out of me.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:04 AM   #12
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:

Call me European, but I find a society where civilians want to own an assault rifle creepy, and a society where civilians think they actually need an assault rifle just to protect themselves scares the living daylights out of me.
And a society with aforementioned qualities that thinks it needs to be given the leadership of the UN?.. WTF!
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Well I'm one of the people that thinks banning all guns is a good idea. I just don't see why you need one... And honestly? An assault rifle? Just plain stupid.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #14
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

NOTE: "semiautomatic" means that a weapon fires, then chambers the next round, and cocks the weapon. It does not imply that the weapon is an assault weapon. Most pistols, with the exception of some revolvers, are semiautomatic. Many, many rifles are.

Why is banning all guns a terrible idea? I'd honestly rather not get into that...but I don't see how anyone who's adamant about the government infringing upon their rights could possibly want the government to tell them they cannot own a gun.

The fact that some families back home in Appalachia actually keep their family fed (partially) by hunting is immaterial, I guess.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #15
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
NOTE: "semiautomatic" means that a weapon fires, then chambers the next round, and cocks the weapon. It does not imply that the weapon is an assault weapon. Most pistols, with the exception of some revolvers, are semiautomatic. Many, many rifles are.
Allright, thanks for pointing that out, I don't know too much about the mechanics of guns.

Quote:

Why is banning all guns a terrible idea? I'd honestly rather not get into that...but I don't see how anyone who's adamant about the government infringing upon their rights could possibly want the government to tell them they cannot own a gun.
Wherever people organize themselves into groups (like a country) there are going to be limits to the rights of each individual. Of course advocates of gun ownership will be ticked off when the government revokes their right to own a gun (or never grants it to them in the first place) but that's hardly an argument in the pro-contra debate. But let's indeed not get into that, it's not the issue here.

Quote:

The fact that some families back home in Appalachia actually keep their family fed (partially) by hunting is immaterial, I guess.
It is in this argument, yes. Unless they're using assault weapons to hunt, of course.

But my question is still: why would a civilian need to own an assault weapon? Normal guns I can understand the reasoning behind, even though I'm not entirely convinced that even that is a good idea. But assault rifles? I mean, come on, you have to draw the line somewhere.

[ 09-29-2005, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: J'aran ]
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
But my question is still: why would a civilian need to own an assault weapon? Normal guns I can understand the reasoning behind, even though I'm not entirely convinced that even that is a good idea. But assault rifles? I mean, come on, you have to draw the line somewhere.
There is no difference between the assault weapons that would be available and other rifles. Without the automatic fire feature (which you can't have without a very difficult to obtain federal permit), they are simply rifles that look cooler. The assault weapons ban is a mostly cosmetic law.

[ 09-29-2005, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 09-29-2005, 05:03 PM   #17
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I think it is worth mentioning that they are also highly accurate, and as such, make exceedingly good weapons for killing coyotes.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:56 PM   #18
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Wow, this has remained calm. Must be due to the fact it's in GD as opposed to CE.

Actually, the term 'assualt weapon' did not come into term until as the article pointed out, bill clinton era. So, with that said, there's really nuting else to discuss. Butt, since there are some folks on here that don't grasp it, I'll assist.

This plain Jane looking Remington 7400, is just that. Note, it's a semi-auto (OOH, it fires round after round just by pulling the trigger) caliber? 30.06 US. or 7.62mm X very large. (No direct reference)
This gun can drop anything in North America out to 500m, and smaller (human to deer) out to 750m.
Standard built in 5 round mag. Scope setting, and that's about all folks.

The SKS (OOH, an assualt weapon). Fires round after round with each trigger pull. Is wortless beyond 60m, and I would not place the life of a liberal on it at anything greater than 75m. But ohh, it's menacing looking. In all reality, it's a POS!
Notice that bayonet lug (ooh) What about that detachable magazine well? Notice those antiquated iron sights? Doesn't it just look SO evil? Caliber? 7.62mm x 39 'Russian'

Now, what if you really wanted it to look 'evil'?

It'a all about the hype folks. I'd glady give you my SKS if that's all you wanted. It's really a fun gun to shoot, and ammo is 'cheap', but... Now if you wanted my Remington or Seiko! You'd not manage that!

So sorry Ilander, but accuracy is not the strong point. Why else would it come with a 30rd magazine as standard issue?

--------------------

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:01 AM   #19
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Talkin' 'bout the AK on that one, Felix...cannot say I like the SKS

EDIT: you do make a good point about the 30rd clip, though.

Prefer shotties, myself, but that's just me. After all, the only critters I ever bother with are birds.

[ 09-30-2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 AM   #20
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

One has to wonder why civillians require arms that the military use when one's country has a military. Unless of course, it is a citizen's duty to fight one's country's army should it become so corrupt its a dictatorship.

I would have thought that extremists are dangerous enough without giving them firearms, but then - it is your culture - your right to bear arms. I guess this is what happens.

Out of interest, is there another country in the world that demands the right to bear arms as the US does?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote