Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, I'm trying to pick everyone's brains about the best methods to use spells, so here's another one.

I experimented a bit in the Vale with Circle of Bones, and found out two things:

1) If you cast this spell without protections, you will get hurt (even against zombies)

2) If you cast Sanctuary, then cast this spell, you can't hurt enough enemies around you to make it worthwhile.

I suppose one thing you could do is cast S, move forward and stand in a doorway, cast CoB, then use some other character to draw enemies, forcing them to pass close to the cleric first.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:28 PM   #2
Roboghost
Manshoon

This webpage can give you ideas on many spells:

http://icewind.estilovirtual.com/hea...ter_spells.txt

Here is what is said about Circle of Bones:

'Silent-kill spell. This spell can be cast without dispelling an existing SANCTUARY (1C) spell on the caster. This spell can be used to kill specific enemies (such as spellcasters) while being invisible. The effects of 2 or more Circle of Bones spell are cumulative. Because this spell doesn't do that much damage, it should be memorized en masse. The same combination (+Sanctuary) can also be used by standing in front of the party while enemies are coming.'

This would be good for Fighter/Clerics to start off the battle with when groups of baddies swarm him/her.

[The guy should have hit the ol' spell-check though--I fixed "cumulative".]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

One of my favorite combos. Usually enemies are positioned such that you can position yourself between 2 or three of them. The using a lure tactic will also work ok as well. Although summons are better in an open position to drag as many enemies around the caster as possible while the summons stay nearby doing there own damage.

My favorite class to use this combo with is the multi class fighter/cleric/mage. You can be stoneskined, cast sanctuary, position yourself and bash at your opponents at the same time.

Circle of bones usually makes fairly short work of skeletons.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, I used it to take out the 2nd skeleton mage in the Vale. Pretty cool, with Sanctuary. Kind of like a second rate version of Druid with Invisibility and multiple Static Charges. I think I'd use this spell mostly against tough enemies, not in general melee. I prefer to play ambush-style tactics, and I don't like that the cleric has to stay stationary for 3 rounds. That said, there's a few places where it would work wonders in melee. Thinking specifically of the shadowed wolves in the Severed Hand and trolls in Dragons Eye.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

... ...

There are better spells a Cleric can cast. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
... ...

There are better spells a Cleric can cast. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
For sure. ::cough, Prayer::

That's why I'm taking a party of (mostly) priestly spellcasters; so that I can experiment. In previous parties, my cleric was so busy casting Prayer, Animate Dead and Protection From Fire that I didn't have any leeway to try and be innovative.

But Circle of Bones *is* a good "cheesy" spell. Sanctuary, walk right up, and cast a CoB to take out a nasty spellcaster.

Only problem is, it uses two spells (needs Sanctuary to be truly effective), and doesn't do all that much damage (total of 6d6 over 3 rounds, iirc). You can cast it multiple times, but as you pointed out, there are better 3rd level clerical spells to cast.

[ 07-03-2004, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]