Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 07:16 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

Is it any good? I heard it's similar to(the successor of) Morrowind. With the 2 expansions, I was able to drag myself to lvl 50 or so, and get a Daedric two--handed Katana, from where I was too dulled to play any more. The quests were very boring, and all my time playing Morrowind(40 hours or so), I did about 10 quests. Is that the case in Arx Fatalis?

Thanks.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:20 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Well.. it wasn't very popular here at IW.. The forum Ziroc made for the game was gone very swiftly, simply because nobody ever posted there. The gaming magazine I read rated it as an okay-game, not brilliant, but playable.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

It was a brilliant game at the time, but that soon passed. Arx is supposed to be similar to Ultima Underworld, but I've never played that game. To me, Arx brings back fond memories of StoneKeep. The game is set underground, so the atmosphere is very dark and sometimes foreboding.

The characters are unique, in that humans, goblins, dwarves, and ogres can all find common grounds. Though, the dwarves haven't been seen for some time, and the goblins own the ogres more than see them as their equal. There's also the rat-men and snake-women that are unique to this game.

And then there's you, a goblin prisoner who has no recollection of who he is. You start out as a neutral character, to put it simply, and you work towards a mix of three professions. A fighter, with the classic sword and shield; a wizard, more intune with rune magic (a redeeming quality, the magic system that is); or a thief, who finds it easier to live the life of luxury through the expense of others.

I've beaten the game already, and the game as a whole was OK. There are some parts where you're going to need help because the programmers were a little too specific with how it should be done, but the rest is fairly enjoyable. Like I said, it's a short game, but it has replayability, or, at least to me it does.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:02 AM   #4
Thoran
Galvatron

I didn't care for it, got bored with it after a couple hours and never bothered finish it... it's no Morrowind (which I thought was a great game). If you want an OK Morrowind type game try Gothic II... it's fun but be warned, they've set the game up to be very difficult. If you play without cheating you end up having a tough time with virtually EVERY encounter you face... which means a lot of time wasted running back for healing.

I cheated and leveled up my character enough to be competitive without all the BS, I'm too old to waste time running constantly over the same terrain [img]smile.gif[/img] . There's not the variety of items and weapons that most rpg's have either (IMO it's the weakest part of the game), but the quests and roll playing aspects are pretty entertaining. Not Morrowind quality but not too bad overall (as opposed to Arx Fatalis I did actually finish this one).
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote