Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2002, 03:16 PM   #1
Firim Silraven
Dungeon Master

Hi, welcome to the world that is me. I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

I've heard (seen) people talking (typing) about strongholds. What exactly is one and how do I go about getting hold of one. I'm guessing it's a place for me and my party to hang when we're a bit tired or bored. Do I just go and find an abandoned castle somewhere?

My character was getting along really well with Aerie and our little 'romance' was going smoothly until I seemed to mess up. She started moaning about her wings (the fact that they weren't there) and how she hated living on the ground. Viconia being a b*tch didn't help. I tried to say the nicest thing to Aerie ("be strong" or something) and she called me cruel. When I re-loaded and said "we'll get your wings back" she again turned on me quite nastily. Have I blown my chances or was it just 'that time of the month'?

Lastly, if I remove an NPC for a second time, can I still get them to rejoin the group? I removed Jaheira to stop her getting cursed when I went to talk to Dirth in the Sea Bounty Tavern (I didn't have time to do an extra quest) and then went and got her straight back, but if I remove her (to get a better thief. At the moment I've only got Nalia. Is there something wrong with Yoshimo? That's what I've picked up from various messages) can I get her back if necessary?

Ooh, something I forgot to mention in the subject. How do I get to the Umar Hills without the Cowled Wizard's quest? I can't find Delon (or whatever his name is) at the City Gates. I don't want to be sent on a mission to kill a decent bloke because I'm a nice party. Well, except for Viconia, but she's just there to look at when I feel like pissing Aerie off. Don't tell me I need a life. I know, I just live for my music. And my computer, but mainly for my music.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:11 PM   #2
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

We'll start with a big WELCOME! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] to IW!

Okay, first of all a stronghold is a place where your specific class can rest, do tasks and just be a part of that little group, or whatever you might call it.
For example, if you're a thief you get to take Mae-Var's (sp?) place at his thief stronghold, after you kill him of course
If you're a cleric you get hired by the temple of your specific god and get to do some quests and eventually get a symbol of your god.
If you're a fighter, you get to rule over the De' Arnise keep.
So, to know what your stronghold is, you have to tell us your PC's class

Second, go with the "be strong" answer with Aerie, she'll tell you later that she was wrong for lashing at you or something like that

Third, you can remove a NPC for as many times as you want. If you're not, then it's a bug.

And finally, I think Delon or the Valygar quest is the only ways to learn about Umar Hills, but I'm not sure about this one...

Anyway, good luck with your game [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
philip
Galvatron

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
a) Welcome!
b) Your question about Aerie was answered already, but I'm answering it again so I can tell you that it was that time of the month.
c) Delon isn't by the Gates, he's in the Government District a bit southwest of the Council building.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:08 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

A couple of notes:
You can recruit and boot NPCs as often as you want, but be careful--if you boot somebody out of the party when they've been complaining about your Reputation, they might just say, "Fine, I'm leaving. Good riddance!" and never come back. Make sure they're not complaining before you kick them out. Jaheira will complain when you boot her, because she's been with you since BG1 and expects to be treated as more than just another face in the party. If you toss her around like a piece of armor, you'll hurt her feelings a bit and she won't really open up to you, but she'll still function just fine as a party member.

Why should there be anything wrong with Yoshimo? I don't like the Bounty Hunter kit, but he's a damn good Thief, and he can Dual, to boot. That doesn't mean he might be the only Thief you'll ever need, though: Many of the characters have their own unique strengths and skills, so make sure you don't let any of them die (even the ones you don't take into your party), and try to remember where they all are.

The boy Delon isn't just in the Government District--he also will pop up much later in the game and track you down, wherever you are, and tell you about the Umar Hills--if you haven't already gone there.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:19 PM   #6
Seraph
Quintesson

IIRC Delon will only seek the party out if Minsc is in the party. I may be mistaken, but I know I have read this before.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:49 PM   #7
Firim Silraven
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the info. My character's a ranger, so where would my stronghold be?

I'm just off to the asylum now so wish me luck. No, not a real asylum, the BGII asylum of course. Honestly, some people need a healthy dose of cleverness, don't they Ragamuffin?
Old 07-31-2002, 03:25 PM   #8
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

well as long as we're asking quesions where do you get Aerie and where is the sorcerors "stronghold"?
Old 07-31-2002, 03:36 PM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
SPOILER

Aerie is at the circus in the Promenade. She'll look like an ogre when you first see her, but believe everything she says.

To get the sorc/wizard stronghold you need to take Valygar (from the Umar Hills) to the Planar Sphere in the Slums and complete the quest there. You'll get the sphere as a reward.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:54 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Take Yoshimo to Spellhold with you if at all possible. It just works out better that way.