Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

but I sure the restaurant industry will oppose it completely....

It seems the Congress has decided you need a national day of fasting and prayer:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:hres153:
Old 03-27-2003, 05:29 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

It's a resolution asking the president to do something. Congress has *resolved* lots of things, like so-and-so are great people, and x-and-y are great idead. BS. It's a waste of time. Something to fill up space on C-Span.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:36 PM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

but, but, they want me to not eat for a whole day! That strikes me as un-american! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2003, 05:38 PM   #4
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

A fine example of seperation of church and state not being seen as an act in the constitution, if you ask me. What are they thinking? Sure, it cant hurt as an idea, but what is down the road for us. Are they going to make this manditory in the forces, or maybe everyone in school or at gov. jobs?
Old 03-27-2003, 07:18 PM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

as "cute" an idea as this is, it really does seem to blur the lines between church and state, to such an extent that i'd call it unAmerican as well. We should be a free nation, hence, if we want to fast, we should be able to do it on our own terms!
Old 03-27-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
I think the idea here is simply this: If you feel like fasting and praying then please by all means do. If not then that's your choice. Oh yeah just some lesser FYI - fasting does not inherrently mean going without food; it is more or less simply going without "something" that takes up time which could be spent bettering oneself.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 03-27-2003, 10:35 PM   #7
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
I think the idea here is simply this: If you feel like fasting and praying then please by all means do. If not then that's your choice. Oh yeah just some lesser FYI - fasting does not inherrently mean going without food; it is more or less simply going without "something" that takes up time which could be spent bettering oneself.
That may be true in general terms, but it is quite different in all religions. Mormons for example fast 1 sunday a month. They will also fast for the sick, troubled, etc. This means they don't eat for 24 hours. They will eat dinner saturday, and not eat untill dinner sunday. I can only speak for mormons, becouse I am married to one, but as I recall over the years, different religions practice different fasting styles. As far as the congress, I hope your right, but it still is bad practice for the gov. to be using religous concepts for mass healing or some such effort. I just hope they dont mandate this, for they would asking for major trouble.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:45 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

I wonder If I can get a day off work out of this! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

"Sorry, I can't make it in to work today. I am taking my federally mandated day of fasting and prayer."

Seriously,
This is what happens when the partys of the religious right in America have a hand in running the show. They fail to recognize that some people don't want to fast or pray and some people think goverment doesnt serve the purpose of endorsing fast and prayer or any other religion or religious activities other than endorsing the right of citizens to have alot of different religions or no religion at all, free from goverment endorsment of any specific one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-27-2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]